• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If you could only learn one weaponless martial art, what would it be?

• Total voters

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I've taken classes in Tae Kwon Do (purple belt but as a teenager), Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kickboxing, and Krav Maga. As well as various one-off 'self defense' classes including a Kendo workshop (I know, weapons)

When I signed up at the Jewish Community Center to take Krav Maga, some of my friends were like 'WTH are you doing that?' And my answer was, well damn, you know it has to be some serious mojo if the Israeli army is using it. :dry:

Pluses:

1) Utilitarian, works with body's natural reactions for lighting fast response, no strict rules so it's always evolving and improving, meant for REAL life modern situations

Minuses:

1) U-G-L-Y, not an art form
2) No philosophy behind it other than survive. Which is cool, but I want more.
3) Lots of people who take it are just like us on the thread who want to be bad ass. The problem is, not everyone is coordinated, responsible, or grounded in all the self-discipline/respect etc. etc. etc. philosophy that is the backbone of other martial arts

4) Lots of people I took the class with were clumsy and too busy trying to be macho to be good partners. I honestly think 1/2 the guys were desk jockeys/nerds trying to reclaim their masculinity. I was seriously concerned for my safety doing training practices with some people as they lacked respect/safety awareness and basic COORDINATION that is a given in other martial arts classes. It actually pissed me off.

Basically, maybe with Hollywood and cage fighting taking off, there are a lot of clueless noobs trying to learn 'bad ass' sports at places that don't really teach them the basics of respect/safety and are happy to take their money and teach them how to punch people in the face. Not a good recipe.

As an alternative - In serious Wushu (kung-fu) schools even in the states, you aren't guaranteed a spot. You have a probationary period and after a few months, if you don't have the coordination/talent or previous training to cut it, that's it. There are no dreamy ideals that 'everybody' can do this and do it well. It's hard! Aside from natural talent, with time constraints -- no, not every person with a job/family/school can dedicate the time to train enough to advance in a demanding discipline. These schools are serious about mastery and competion and respecting the sport by not doing a half-assed job. I actually don't mind. I wouldn't want to waste my time or money on a sport that is going to injure me and get my ass kicked.

I thought I wanted to do a nitty-gritty martial art like Krav Maga purely for the self-defense skills, but I got turned off by my experience.

Now, I'd rather do Kung Fu or basically something that is more an art-form/sport that incorporates more of a social/mind/body aspect to it. You know -- something pretty.

That's just me though.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ahem Xander - and what about my bayonet fighting that I totally made up my own style (and possibly the entire concept) of? Hmmm?

It was more show/skill stuff though than actually effective fighting. Testing, improving and honing my dexterity by pushing the limits of what I could do, how fast I could move, how accurate I could throw etc.
Gun fu... way ahead of you :tongue10:
Don't know much about the others, but you're mistaken here, Xander. Actually, there are a number of "schools" of ninjutsu, all of which are taught under the same tradition (and have been for years, along with a number of traditional samurai disciplines). The official name of the entire realm of teachings is "Bunjinkan budo taijutsu". It's been 10 years or so since I did it, and they seem to have distanced themselves from the name "ninjutsu" a bit (probably due to the Hollywood-induced bad connotations, which aren't consistent at all with the actual teachings), but it does exist.
Ninjitsu is breaking and entering... Taijutsu is the martial art. I can't help it if the common sheep has different beliefs and companies prey upon such misconceptions.
If I'm going to put my effort and time into learning a martial art, it's going to be whichever one is most useful realistically. From my point of view, that would be Krav Maga, and I would like to learn it at some time in the future. The rituals and such of other martial arts don't interest me in the least.
Well don't blame me if you get hurt. The guy I know is a major hard man but he still had his back rearranged whilst doing Krav Maga with some bouncers.

As far as I understood things, hurting yourself is easy it's hurting others which is hard. Why take lessons in how to get yourself injured? ;)
That's easy...move quickly and you'll be fine. (Don't blame me if you hurt yourself though).
No the big thing is 'switch brain off'... that stuffs hard!!

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well don't blame me if you get hurt. The guy I know is a major hard man but he still had his back rearranged whilst doing Krav Maga with some bouncers

From my understanding of it...in order to "practice" it, you have to wear a ton of padding, because there's no way to make the moves safe for just sparring with someone.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Probably the Force Grip (Force Choke).

(I find your lack of faith disturbing.)

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
From my understanding of it...in order to "practice" it, you have to wear a ton of padding, because there's no way to make the moves safe for just sparring with someone.

Full contact sparring is performed with Riot Gear-ish equipment. Reinforced padding covering most vital areas (minus most major joints, to increase flexibility of movement/tumbling).

1-step/choreographed sparring is usually maintained with loose-fitting clothes/streetwear.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
Full contact sparring is performed with Riot Gear-ish equipment. Reinforced padding covering most vital areas (minus most major joints, to increase flexibility of movement/tumbling).

Aye, when I went through baton training with the military police they employed almost a full padded suit.

It's called a "Red-man suit".
redman.jpg

I forgot how much fun that was.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Another vote for Brazilian jiu-jitsu

After much thought, I voted for Brazilian jiu-jitsu. (And I'm probably going to my first trial class next week. ;))

I've taken a little tae kwon do and Hawaiian kenpo, but really always wanted to take ju-jitsu or judo. When confronted with real-life situations while a kid and teenager, I used what little ju-jitsu I had learned informally to end the confrontation quickly, generally by throwing the aggressor to the ground and walking away. I like Brazilian jiu-jitsu because of its practical and "kinetic chess" approach. Speed, size, and power can be negated by skill and knowledge.

Our kenpo instructor was wise in warning us emphatically and often to never allow ourselves to be taken to the ground....

YouTube - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu vs. Kenpo Karate - Royler Gracie

YouTube - Jiu jitsu Vs Kung fu

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've already chosen kung fu, because I like the logical basis of it. The movements, the goals, the thinking, everything makes instant sense to me, without needing explanation. It just seems instantly practical for fighting, rather than all the mystical BS that some schools like to give you. That may just be a function of the teacher, though.

And to be fair, I have very little experience with the others. I've tried aikido and left after 2 months because I hated it so much (incredibly slow pace, unintuitive movements, didn't seem like it had any practical use) despite all the good things I'd heard about it.

agreed... i also think the kung fu regimen is very balanced in terms of developing speed, flexibility, and mental focus. to me, the auxiliary benefits are actually more important than the art itself. realistically, the combative abilities you learn will be rarely used, if ever, while the developmental affects will benefit you in a wide variety of other things, especially sports.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Oh it wasn't punches or such that injured him... he wrenched his back trying to wrestle with the other guy on the floor.
agreed... i also think the kung fu regimen is very balanced in terms of developing speed, flexibility, and mental focus. to me, the auxiliary benefits are actually more important than the art itself. realistically, the combative abilities you learn will be rarely used, if ever, while the developmental affects will benefit you in a wide variety of other things, especially sports.
I'd have loved to study kung fu but unfortunately I have to deal with all the gimps around here who only want to study martial arts as some kind of fashion accessory. That and the whole "oh no you have to do the gradings... we can't just teach you" made me leave the whole idea when I was a kid. I figured if I did want dance lessons the other classes had pretty girls in them and the "martial arts" classes I went to were more suited to formation displays than anything as useful as focus.

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
Whatever martial art that uses that technique which ruptures organs by yelling.

Nobody see's it coming. You can't block it, unless you're covered in egg cartons or something. Sound travels faster than any kick or jab a human could throw. It would also be practical for many things other than asskicking.

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
I learn karate and some mixed martial arts. Karate's my favourite, by far. I like to use my legs more than boxing allows, and I, um, pretty much suck at wrestling. I enjoyed ju jitsu, though. I was mainly excited about ju jitsu because Sherlock Holmes did it, no other particular reason. I'd like to give a shot at kung fu.

Karate helps me power out all that pent up energy. I broke a guy's hand once while sparring. I don't think he'll ever heard the end of that particular accident. :D

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP

Why?

I haven't tried them all, so I'm unqualified to answer the question.

Aikido was good, but I thought it wasn't physical enough. There's a kind of primal energy you get out of doing contact stuff, that you don't get from pins and movements and redirecting energy.

I also don't think I would choose Taekwondo, because it seems more like a sport than a martial art. But I've never tried it.

Bufo

MBTI Type
onto
Enneagram
5w4
IMO, Kali (a Filipino martial art) is the best. Although not a weaponless art, but you can always find an improvised weapon. This is particularly important, because, in an actual combat, you are likely to be outnumbered.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
IMO, Kali (a Filipino martial art) is the best. Although not a weaponless art, but you can always find an improvised weapon. This is particularly important, because, in an actual combat, you are likely to be outnumbered.
Oh those guys are unbelivable. The hand eye co-ordination required for that kind of art is increadible. Sod the matrix, these guys are super agents! Empty your clip and all you get is your ass kicked! (Well or stabbed or whacked with a large stick...)

iamWong

MBTI Type
INTJ
I picked Judo - okay, I'm being totally biased here; I'm a Judoka.
However, Ninjitsu would be my choice if I were totally unbiased.
It's lethal and precise.
Not to mention illegal to practice in my country.