User Tag List

View Poll Results: If you could only learn one weaponless martial art, what would it be?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boxing

6 7.32%
  • Wrestling

0 0%
  • Taekwondo

4 4.88%
  • Muay Thai

7 8.54%
  • Karate

3 3.66%
  • Kung Fu

10 12.20%
  • Judo

2 2.44%
  • Ju-jitsu

5 6.10%
  • Brazilian jiu-jitsu

6 7.32%
  • Ninjitsu

5 6.10%
  • Aikido

6 7.32%
  • Hapkido

2 2.44%
  • Other (specify in post)

26 31.71%
First 6789 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Krav Maga. If you're going to fight, then the point isn't to subdue your opponent. It's to hurt them so badly that they remember not only the humiliation, but the outright pain involved.

Half of the techniques in KM start with a low blow. There are no rules. Things like eye rakes, throwing sand in someone's eyes, and all out just fighting plain dirty are absolutely encouraged.

And considering the human body has so mean weak spots and ways to shatter important bones or knock out/kill in short order, it shouldn't be too difficult for someone skilled in KM to destroy someone else. And for all of these grappling type martial arts, guess what? If a guy is on your back trying to get a chokehold, punch him in the nuts. Gouge his eyes. Take control of one of his fingers that's not yet locked in and bend it and shatter it.

All of these things are outright illegal in MMA due to the danger they have of permanently injuring someone.

But if you're going to fight...

ISN'T THAT THE POINT?
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Aikido. I'm small, and I like the idea of using an opponent's energy against him, while expending little of my own. It's not an attacker's martial art, it's defense based, and I admire the concept of defense without attacker's aggression.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've heard and seen awesome things from ju-jitsu from a student of it.. but if I didn't learn that, good old fashioned wrestling would be for me.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

ByMySword

Pankration: The original martial art that influence all the others.

MBTI
    INFP

Kali

MBTI
    onto
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Aikido. I'm small, and I like the idea of using an opponent's energy against him, while expending little of my own. It's not an attacker's martial art, it's defense based, and I admire the concept of defense without attacker's aggression.
    Very realistic approach. A good choice must be based on one's basic strength and weakness.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Krav Maga. If you're going to fight, then the point isn't to subdue your opponent. It's to hurt them so badly that they remember not only the humiliation, but the outright pain involved.

Half of the techniques in KM start with a low blow. There are no rules. Things like eye rakes, throwing sand in someone's eyes, and all out just fighting plain dirty are absolutely encouraged.

And considering the human body has so mean weak spots and ways to shatter important bones or knock out/kill in short order, it shouldn't be too difficult for someone skilled in KM to destroy someone else. And for all of these grappling type martial arts, guess what? If a guy is on your back trying to get a chokehold, punch him in the nuts. Gouge his eyes. Take control of one of his fingers that's not yet locked in and bend it and shatter it.

All of these things are outright illegal in MMA due to the danger they have of permanently injuring someone.

But if you're going to fight...

ISN'T THAT THE POINT?
    Yeah, it sounds like something that would be awesome to be a master of. I can't help but think it'd be a really nasty and painful form of martial arts to learn though. KM sparring? "Pair up guys, and practice punching each other in the balls. After that, try some eye-gouging. We'll finish up with a bit of light sand-flinging."

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I've done Jiu Jitsu, and although I enjoyed it, I would love to learn some Kung Fu. The idea to draw inspiration from certain types of animals is what is appealing to me.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    EII

Aikido

/agree, though Im about 5' 11'' so without the small part

MBTI
    INFJ

Cool

Boxing. I wish I could find a gym around here, but there really aren't any.

Boxing works well on the street - great defensive skills and offense. Very practical martial art.

Plus I love to watch it and I think it would be fun as long as your sparring partner isn't trying to KO you.

I also think BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, Wrestling, and Krav Maga would be fun and effective systems.