User Tag List

View Poll Results: If you could only learn one weaponless martial art, what would it be?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boxing

6 7.32%
  • Wrestling

0 0%
  • Taekwondo

4 4.88%
  • Muay Thai

7 8.54%
  • Karate

3 3.66%
  • Kung Fu

10 12.20%
  • Judo

2 2.44%
  • Ju-jitsu

5 6.10%
  • Brazilian jiu-jitsu

6 7.32%
  • Ninjitsu

5 6.10%
  • Aikido

6 7.32%
  • Hapkido

2 2.44%
  • Other (specify in post)

26 31.71%
First 23456 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

If I were to pick one to truly master it would be Tai Chi. Tai Chi masters pwn all others.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Krav Maga. (Always wanted to learn it after I heard that's what JG did for Alias training. But I was like 14 give me a break.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Krav Maga. Has no competitions or levels, and the entire purpose is for real-life use to eliminate attackers. Created in Israel.
    It's the only one I'd ever bother learning. I'd have already started training if I could find a teacher. When I lived in Florida, the nearest teacher was 2 hours away, while there were 100,000 generic martial arts schools within a 10 mile radius. I haven't started looking for a teacher in Minnesota, yet.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

So most people are going for a fighting style which requires striking your limbs with sticks for hardness (Muay Thai), a sport based on a martial art (Aikido), a fighting style which half killed off the Muay Thai/ Kung Fu enthusiast I know (Krav Maga... the chosen style of guys with sloping foreheads and a job requiring standing outside doors with a sullen attitude) or a martial art which doesn't exsist except in reference to turtles???

Guys... really... a little class. Kudos to the Tai Chi enthusiasts though... 10 years down the track you could be really good. Even if you never fight it's supposed to be a wonderful look into the movements of the human body.

Oh and when are we doing the whole iron skin thing? Before or after we walk on hot coals?

Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

Ahem Xander - and what about my bayonet fighting that I totally made up my own style (and possibly the entire concept) of? Hmmm?

It was more show/skill stuff though than actually effective fighting. Testing, improving and honing my dexterity by pushing the limits of what I could do, how fast I could move, how accurate I could throw etc.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Ahem Xander - and what about my bayonet fighting that I totally made up my own style (and possibly the entire concept) of? Hmmm?

It was more show/skill stuff though than actually effective fighting. Testing, improving and honing my dexterity by pushing the limits of what I could do, how fast I could move, how accurate I could throw etc.
    I think the point of this thread is to pick a weaponless martial art.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I think the point of this thread is to pick a weaponless martial art.
    Oh haha, shit yeah. I forgot. Soz

But still, it's cool, you gotta admit. Though ill-fitting for the purpose of the thread.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    or a martial art which doesn't exsist except in reference to turtles???
    Don't know much about the others, but you're mistaken here, Xander. Actually, there are a number of "schools" of ninjutsu, all of which are taught under the same tradition (and have been for years, along with a number of traditional samurai disciplines). The official name of the entire realm of teachings is "Bunjinkan budo taijutsu". It's been 10 years or so since I did it, and they seem to have distanced themselves from the name "ninjutsu" a bit (probably due to the Hollywood-induced bad connotations, which aren't consistent at all with the actual teachings), but it does exist.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Oh haha, shit yeah. I forgot. Soz

But still, it's cool, you gotta admit. Though ill-fitting for the purpose of the thread.
    Yeah it is cool. And I think it's in the spirit of martial arts, since a lot of technique was developed so poor people could learn to fight. Like nunchakus are just two sticks tied to a rope, and obviously a staff is something that is easy for a poor person to acquire. So simple make-shift weapons are definitely part of the martial arts background.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Guys... really... a little class. Kudos to the Tai Chi enthusiasts though... 10 years down the track you could be really good. Even if you never fight it's supposed to be a wonderful look into the movements of the human body.
    If I'm going to put my effort and time into learning a martial art, it's going to be whichever one is most useful realistically. From my point of view, that would be Krav Maga, and I would like to learn it at some time in the future. The rituals and such of other martial arts don't interest me in the least.

Oh and when are we doing the whole iron skin thing? Before or after we walk on hot coals?
    That's easy...move quickly and you'll be fine. (Don't blame me if you hurt yourself though).
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%