• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dungeons & Dragons, Call of Cthulhu, Other TTRPGs

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is nothing wrong with enjoying fire, regardless of your alignment. :happy2:

But you know your GM hates you when he starts putting fire-resistant critters into the game to mess with you, or even things that heal from fire. Bwa ha ha. Or things with high Reflex and spell resistance, so they usually only take half damage and you also have to overcome SR to hurt them.

á´…eparted

passages
There is nothing wrong with enjoying fire, regardless of your alignment. :happy2:

But you know your GM hates you when he starts putting fire-resistant critters into the game to mess with you, or even things that heal from fire. Bwa ha ha. Or things with high Reflex and spell resistance, so they usually only take half damage and you also have to overcome SR to hurt them.

He hasn't started doing that (yet). He actually loves my character in the game. He's an ISFP and loves chaos and disorder. My character is very much like myself, with wanting things to be orderly and make sense, but himself is the embodiment of chaos (his power is channeled in from limbo). In particular he loves one of my characters quirks/flaws. If I fail to hit a target, roll poorly, or just can't get a spell to work, I will keep trying that spell on the same creature until it works, even if it doesn't make any sense (such as shooting at a freshly dead corpse).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...If I fail to hit a target, roll poorly, or just can't get a spell to work, I will keep trying that spell on the same creature until it works, even if it doesn't make any sense (such as shooting at a freshly dead corpse).

That's awesome. :) Flaws are fun. (One of Sumiko's flaws is that she actually takes minuses on social rolls if someone criticizes or accuses her of something; she has trouble letting things go. In fact, she's gotten in trouble before because someone "insulted" her in her own mind and she just has too much pride to ignore it...)

Passacaglia

On cell and might add more later, but "good/evil" to her is little more than philosophical hodgepodge now, which is the only sense she would try to justify something as good. Her natural frame is "smart/dumb" or "competent/fail." So yes, she doesn't care much for good/evil except others keep bringing it up. Earlier in life, people told her she was "bad" and so she tried to justify how she was "good" ...but it no longer matters, as soon as she got distance and especially no longer being mortal.
Wow, so Sumiko's even closer to the 2e lich description than I thought. Except of course for the 'lives in creepy dungeons and forgets own name' part.

I have played off and on for over 15 years now, and in all our campaigns, both DM and players have been quite satisfied with relatively slow leveling up. The timeline [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] mentioned is not atypical for us, but then we are relatively "old school" and focus very much on story. We play around a large table, sometimes with hex grids, models, and miniatures, and paper notes flying back and forth. We have always worked to avoid hack/slash campaigns in favor of problem solving, detective work, and character interaction. Our group has always enjoyed it that way.
You are dead to me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, so Sumiko's even closer to the 2e lich description than I thought. Except of course for the 'lives in creepy dungeons and forgets own name' part.

Yeah, actually, she plans to take over the world and have everyone know who she is.

At least, at the moment.
She might become jaded the more the undead slayers come after her.
Or she might get bored.
Life goals are never static.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In my most current campain we were battling a bunch of overpowered orcs because Some dumb ass(human) had to rush in and disturb thier camp.

It ended with me on fire and cutting off my burning hair and thowing it into dry bush field to burn those motherfuckers dead.

Then the human character on our campaign thought it would be funny to pick on my halfing character... So I hugged him and got him on fire too.

I'm kinda sad I had to leave the campaign. It was a good one.

Passacaglia

Sorry, that joke didn't translate well over the internet. I like fast leveling, as well as a healthy helping of hack n slash with my talkie interactions and problem solving.

So obviously, the only possible result of our difference of taste can be that I no longer acknowledge your existence. ;)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry, that joke didn't translate well over the internet. I like fast leveling, as well as a healthy helping of hack n slash with my talkie interactions and problem solving.

So obviously, the only possible result of our difference of taste can be that I no longer acknowledge your existence. ;)
Not at all. We simply inhabit different planes of existence.

Passacaglia

Now the question is, which planes? ;)
I'm chilling out in Elysium with her.

Though I also have a demiplane in the Ethereal where I research new spells. It's just too hard to concentrate in Elysium.

Attachments

• Guardinal.jpg
    Guardinal.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 135

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This week Sumiko got a major artifact (a mask) stuck to her face.

If she wasn't a lich (i.e., anyone else in the group), she'd probably be hosed; as it is, she can ride out most of the negatives without long-term problems. [For example, she doesn't need to eat or drink. She is also immune to ability drain, so the daily -1 WIS drain converts to damage, and you naturally heal 1pt of ability damage per day so it balances.] The major issue is that it adds Chaotic, Evil, and Outsider to her type, leaving her vulnerable to additional spell effects.

The mask gives you True Sight, Life Sense, Blind Sight, and See in Darkness; and a +10 profane bonus to Sense Motive when someone is keeping a secret; +10 to Bluff someone to hide your own secrets; +10 to perceive something Stealthing; and a +10 to remember something you once knew. And once you attune to all the whispers you hear once you put it on, you can attempt to glean secrets on any topic, but if you fail the Will check, you lose 1d4+1 WIS; if you reach 0 WIS, you go irrevocably mad.

You have to make a DC40 Will save to resist the compulsion to put on the mask if you touch it; and it's a CL25 item as far as Remove Curse and whatever else goes. (I rolled a 39, so I couldn't resist the compulsion. Alas.) Since Sumiko is a lich, the mask can be removed much more easily: Just cut off her head, and she'll grow it back in 1d6 days. But... ehhhh....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This reminded me of the Head of Vecna.

ROFL. I had read about that a long time ago and had forgotten about it -- yes... I think that sums it up nicely. :smile:

Gawd, 1st edition AD&D just rocked.

Abaddon's list of titles (this god has his own list) includes "Keeper of Secrets." Now that she can hear Abaddon's secrets, Sumiko has added one to her own growing list: "Taker of Secrets."

Considering all these deities could crush her if they wanted, it's pretty hilarious that she keeps pushing her image like this. It's all about marketing and self-promotion; she doesn't have to be super-strong, she just has to convince everyone else she is ultra-powerful.

One of the party members is convinced that after we destroy abaddon, they should have a plan to deal with Sumiko. But he's honestly not sure the party could take Sumiko on. it was hilarious listening to him go on and on about this at the group.

The funny part is that she's just very hard to hurt and impossible to hold or imprison. But she can't actually do much damage aside from her ability to wield a few items. [Well, aside from Mythic Mind Control, which i haven't tried yet. I guess I would start by disappearing, then taking one of them over.] But they don't know that. I'm laughing on the inside; for her, it really is all about promotion and bluffing and looking powerful. They honestly are afraid of me! The promotional campaign is succeeding, bwa haha.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, people in the party have decided that maybe they should keep tabs on Sumiko and try to kill her after/near the end of the adventure. understandably, I find myself trusting them less and less.

The party consists of:
- ratfolk Cleric
- elf Ninja
- human Soulknife
- elf Aegis (constructs)
- human Druid
- tengu Cryptic/Thrallherd lich (moi) + my Dread werewolf gnome bodyguard

So I spent the last few days forming a bunch of contingency plans -- having a list of each party member, their strengths, their weaknesses, and how I could take them out if necessary (aka if they suddenly jump me). One difficulty is that it's five vs two until I can turn/lock down some of them, and I know they will hit me hard up front.

---

My first concern is protecting my soulstones (esp the Dragonstone) from being lifted by the Ninja, so I've asked the GM if I could insert some of them into my skin and touch them to activate them (considering I'm undead). He hasn't done this yet, but I know he lifted something off a party member earlier and I need to keep an eye on him. It helps that liches do not sleep.

- Anyway, the ninja is easy in a fight -- his Will save is terrible and his slashing damage is something I can mostly soak, so I Mythic Mind Control him and throw him at the party.

- I can attune the voodoo doll I found to paralyze the Soulknife at a distance. He can do a lot of burst damage in one shot and he can fly perfect, but otherwise he's a one-hit wonder. (He's also scared of me, which I've been playing into so that he doesn't really want to attack me.)

- The Cleric is in love with me, so I'll suck up to him in roleplay and make him think he has a chance, so he won't attack me later. I think I can get him to either abstain OR even protect me.

That leaves me with the Druid (who is pretty powerful -- he mostly wildshapes into elementals + has a few powerful divine spells) and the Aegis (who is very smart and controls constructs) -- their Will saves are hard to beat. I have some powers that can just try to mow them down, but gives either of them a round or two to do something wicked to me.

---

So I rethought this... and realized I had more options, based on the Dragonstone.

Because of various Mythic feats I have and my UMD I've dumped feats and items into, I'm pretty sure I can cast Wish right out of the stone now, with almost no chance of failure (at least the first casting of it). The DC is damned high, but I can manage it by burning a mythic power and maybe even not needing it.

Wish can be used [explicitly in the rules as an example] to teleport up to CL people (19, in this case) from their locations on one plane to locations on any other plane. Unwilling participants get a DC24 Will save.

Meanwhile, the planes in our campaign are still separate, which means that each of the three material planes is missing a particular energy source.

So here is Operation Dorothy:

1. I can dump the psionic casters in the non-psionic plane and divine casters in the non-divine planes -- preferably nasty locations with natural threats -- and they'll be hard-pressed to live even if I don't intervene further because they will be mostly powerless.

2. The ninja, I can drop somewhere physically brutal or even just in a cage of my own devising... I haven't decided yet.

3. Meanwhile, my thrall and I are ensured of going anywhere we want, since we're willing targets of the Wish. So regardless of whether some make their saves, we can escape to a safe hidden location if we want. Or we can go with the divine caster to disable him at my leisure as first blood. Or take our time and hunt them down one by one.

Don't fight them at once, on their turf.
Instead, separate them all to turfs of my choosing, then crush them individually.

(I could just drop them under lava but that would just be mean. So we'll do it the more fair way.)

---

My restraint here fits my character (she's pragmatic and does need their help currently, so I wouldn't try to hurt them during the game) + the rules of fun gameplay where it's not cool to just kill other PCs.

This is primarily if they turn on ME after the fact. (Won't THEY be surprised? heh heh.)

---

I have something else in my favor too: I can keep building my cult, winning over various races diplomatically and forming a network of connections among the elites, until it would look REALLY bad for all of them to attack me after we save the worlds by defeating the dark god.

Sumiko can postpone this battle to a time of her choosing (and crush them); AND/OR she can make it extremely difficult for them to assault me since no one else in the land would support their move and might even punish them for it.

LadyAeroniel

MBTI Type
INTJ
I usually play as a half-elf sorceress...I've played a half-elf ardent...I didn't enjoy playing it that much...I love playing as a sorceresses or alchemists...Wizards are to pretentious for me :p

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Worst twist ever: Blinded By the Light

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Found this link tonight, the stories (horrible RPG experiences) is simply hilarious.

Your Most Heinous Stories of Role-Playing Games Gone Wrong

sample
So, second game running DnD 3.0, I was a senior in high school and I usually DMed because nobody else wanted to. Two new players wanted to join the group, they were a couple and wanted to play a couple in the game too, no problem fine, it being high school and what-not this was a a common occurence. The problem was their relationship was very up and down and it was reflected by their characters actions too! So we’d end part way through a dungeon or something and come back the next week and suddenly the lovey dovey adventurers hated each other and I’d say well, what the hell? Your characters loved each other one chamber ago and now they’re at each other’s throats? This goes one for a good two or three months in which I try to ignore the sudden, vicious changes in player character attitudes until finally we come into a game and these two are sitting on opposite ends of the table...uh oh. We get going and the whole time the two players are just glaring at each other, finally we get to a portion where there is a choice...their characters take completely opposite sides on the issue and suddenly the female player says “Why don’t you just go fuck Jenny in the ass some more?!” and throws one of my nearby Warhammer models at him. Blood was spilled, the police were called, DnD night was ruined and I have a new campaign rule now: couples can’t play in game couples.

Sadly, there's also a few misogynist stories of the shit female gamers have had to tolerate, and even a misandrist story or two.

----

Also of interest:
How We Won the War on Dungeons & Dragons