MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Dannik View Post
    yes! I think characters have an intrinsic morality -
    and when your party is pushed to their moral limits, they may express themselves in unexpected ways... and that can be a major and exciting focus of your plot and relationships going forward.
    And if that Revelation is incongruent with how your character has acted in the past...
    It is a flaw on the system however. Why no neutral clerics of some God's? Why have alignment "ping"? It cheapens the whole thing.

Alignment should be an example which you create your character around but then should be assigned to you by your peers.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

...well, our GM actually does eventually say, "Uh, hey, I'm pretty sure you're not <that alignment> anymore, write <this> on your sheet instead."

But I agree it's the choices that make the alignment regardless.

It's just one of the flaws in a static mechanics system. I've seen other ways to do it (similar to the Light/Dark side in Star Wars), where it's more dynamic and you move on the scale as you make choices.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...well, our GM actually does eventually say, "Uh, hey, I'm pretty sure you're not <that alignment> anymore, write <this> on your sheet instead."

But I agree it's the choices that make the alignment regardless.

It's just one of the flaws in a static mechanics system. I've seen other ways to do it (similar to the Light/Dark side in Star Wars), where it's more dynamic and you move on the scale as you make choices.
    Don't you find it's sometimes like people knowing their type though? I've list count of the number of chaotic good characters I've seen built on the idea that they can be good guys but don't have to follow the rules so nerr. That's as far as it's taken. An excuse to be a douche when you want to be but otherwise an angel.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Don't you find it's sometimes like people knowing their type though? I've list count of the number of chaotic good characters I've seen built on the idea that they can be good guys but don't have to follow the rules so nerr. That's as far as it's taken. An excuse to be a douche when you want to be but otherwise an angel.
    Sure. Because there are all types of gamers out there. Those who don't roleplay in detail and just use alignment as a stat mechanic won't invest much in it except to make themselves flexible. (Chaotic Neutral is also very popular among those who want to do whatever the hell they want.)

I actually really think through mine and how it specifically will manifest. And I try to make it a consistent psychology. But hey, that's one of my personal interests -- I'm into typology systems and psychology.

For example, I'm developing a lawful good vanara right now (monk), but the vanara are more mischevious and chaotic. So I give her more focus than a vanara might have (she disciplines herself). She also has a good heart and wants to help people when they're hurting or in trouble. her "lawful" is more about "following the natural order" of things, so she perceives an order and then responds to that order, and she might still respect other orders but will challenge exploitative ones. Also, when dealing with evil, she's not the vengeful sort in terms of killing everything; because of the "natural order" she's okay with leaving the natural order dominate the situation. ("You did this; I won't kill you, but I will release you to deal with the ramifications of your behavior and you might not survive that ordeal.")

Another LG character I create might look very different from her. But I typically do not play LG very much.

Or how I was playing Sumiko as NE: "neutral pragmatic," and many of her behaviors "looked" like she was being altruistic but she even would lie to herself about her real self-serving motivations.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Thought this was interesting.... and a great strategy by Wizards to get 5e out and played:

Be The Dungeon Master In Sword Coast Legends | Digital Trends

A new Dungeons & Dragons game called Sword Coast Legends is coming to Windows later on in 2015. One to four players can take arms as traditional heroes while a fifth player has the option to become the Dungeon Master, controlling the action. This looks to be the closest game yet to replicating the experience of playing live D&D around a table.

Unlike other games that toy with unbalanced multiplayer, like the recently released Evolve or the upcoming Fable Legends, the role of the DM is not strictly adversarial. They can help or hinder the players as they see fit, able to increase the challenge and punish players that are doing to well or help out the heroes when they are struggling and move the story forward. The DM is able to interact in real time, adjusting encounters or taking control of opponents on the fly, and also has access to larger campaign tools allowing them to develop customized scenarios and stories without any scripting knowledge required. Just as in real Dungeons & Dragons, the goal is for everyone to have an enjoyable play experience.

...Rules are derived from the recently-released 5th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons, with publisher Wizards of the Coast on board to make it official. The action takes place in the classic Forgotten Realms setting, which should be familiar to anyone who has played the Baldur’s Gate games or read R. A. Salvatore’s novels about Drizzt Do’Urden. The studio promises iconic locations, familiar faces, and plenty of lore for longtime fans of the game and setting.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Sure. Because there are all types of gamers out there. Those who don't roleplay in detail and just use alignment as a stat mechanic won't invest much in it except to make themselves flexible. (Chaotic Neutral is also very popular among those who want to do whatever the hell they want.)

I actually really think through mine and how it specifically will manifest. And I try to make it a consistent psychology. But hey, that's one of my personal interests -- I'm into typology systems and psychology.

For example, I'm developing a lawful good vanara right now (monk), but the vanara are more mischevious and chaotic. So I give her more focus than a vanara might have (she disciplines herself). She also has a good heart and wants to help people when they're hurting or in trouble. her "lawful" is more about "following the natural order" of things, so she perceives an order and then responds to that order, and she might still respect other orders but will challenge exploitative ones. Also, when dealing with evil, she's not the vengeful sort in terms of killing everything; because of the "natural order" she's okay with leaving the natural order dominate the situation. ("You did this; I won't kill you, but I will release you to deal with the ramifications of your behavior and you might not survive that ordeal.")

Another LG character I create might look very different from her. But I typically do not play LG very much.

Or how I was playing Sumiko as NE: "neutral pragmatic," and many of her behaviors "looked" like she was being altruistic but she even would lie to herself about her real self-serving motivations.
    Must be a typing thing. I got all interested in lawful good and what it meant. With my paladin I chose to highlight that lawful relates to believing that rules are necessary for society and the good section means that I believe that those rules should be set up to benefit the most people possible. Hence I wouldn't just execute someone for being evil or uphold nonsensical laws just because they were laws, I'd act more like a paragon for the ideals of lawful good. This caused most others great headaches. Mind you this was in a group where a former paladin character had been quoted as jot being opposed to "wet work". An odd piece of thinking to my mind.

Still once my INTJ friend had snapped the whole system in two I couldn't help but see the numbers instead of the meaning. Once that happened D&D lost its lustre.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Thought this was interesting.... and a great strategy by Wizards to get 5e out and played:
    I've tried most pc apps and games that lay claim to the title of role-playing. I've yet to find one which meets my standards.

Died in the wool book roleplay snob

Dark Dungeons the Movie

There are no words, there is only laughter.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Dark Dungeons the Movie

There are no words, there is only laughter.
    Oh dear sweet baby cthulhu.

Yeah, I saw a trailer for this last week (?) and thought, "What on earth? is this a parody? Serious? Whut?" We used to laugh at this Chick tract all the time. I also "came of gaming age" in Pennsyltucky, right when all the gaming craziness was going on -- I saw Mazes and Monsters when it actually aired on TV, and I did my 11th grade "persuasive speech" for English on whether RPGs were good or bad. SO I'll watch this movie.

I think Chick thinks it will help get the word out. Well, it kind of will... but not exactly what he thinks.

Likes Passacaglia liked this post

Lol, yeah. It's hard to believe that Chick hasn't quietly deleted tracts from his site in belated shame, that there are still nutters out there who buy into it.

I grew up in a very rural and Protestant area where there are no doubt a few families who still buy into this sort of hysterical nonsense -- my high school librarian once told me that she read Harry Potter before she let her children read them, to make sure they were safe. But I didn't discover D&D until well after the Satanic scare, so oh man, I can only imagine playing D&D during that era.

Anyhow, I'd like to see it too but probably won't for a while. So if you decide to order it from Amazon, let us know how true to the tract it is!
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post