User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In my current campaign, I ended up playing an evil character.
    I didn't plan to be evil, it just happened.
    I started as neutral.

I'm running a Tengu Mystic who was driven out of her home when young and thus took up refuge with the dwarves, who helped her develop the psionic powers that got her excommunicated to start with. She's always had a chip on her shoulder and planned to one day make the Tengu nation respect her and apologize... she sees herself as the "best kind of tengu" and an example others should aspire to. As part of this, I ended up in a ragtag group of adventurers seeking glory and fortune, to build a name for ourselves.

Our opening adventure involved a huge demon slug trashing an entire city. (One of our party was swallowed and died.) The baron's son was kidnapped, and by the time we tracked him down, he was being transformed into something else and got carried off through a portal into the abyssal regions, where we weren't powerful enough to go. Apparently this cult planned to transform this boy into some kind of vessel for some long-lost evil god to return to the material plane within, once the day of reckoning arrived.

In the course of exploring what to do about this, I acquired a book about souls, transformations, and other dark arts. In the course of reading it (to help the boy and expand my personal knowledge), my soul became darker. Of course, I had to find some soul stones and learn how to wield this power, so that I could help the boy when the time came. However, trapping other beings and capturing souls in gems is viewed as an evil act, and my alignment suffered accordingly (to neutral evil).

I actually have had fun playing into it. I still claim to not be evil, even if some NPCs and party members are dubious of my goodwill. I'm merely pragmatic. I'm learning how to wield this power for a good cause and in the end will also prove that I am the superior tengu, so that my people will accept me as their rightful leader. So it all works out for anyone. And if I have to use some souls I find in gems, or I have to trap an outsider and wield some of their powers against their will to reach my goals (which are going to save the world), well, of course that's allowable.

To go along with this, I branched into Thrallherd and now have followers who are proclaiming my goodness, as well as a little gnome Dread named Carnage who worships the ground I walk on and scares the crap out of anyone who dares challenge me.

My most recent debacle: I acquired a soulstone with a monadic deva in it (he hates me), who I've tried to use to planar shift with. I was powerful enough to override his defiance (and kept telling the party he had agreed to stay in the gem in order to help us fight this great evil), but he still would sabotage my efforts, and we almost got stuck on another plane of existence with little way off. What a douche. I hate him so much. He's been obnoxious to me when I try to argue with him (in his stone) and get him to help me. Why is he so non-compliant? Tonight I'm going to let him out (he's a pain in my butt and we need him to help us get some more allies), but it's going to be ugly.

There's another issue: Most of my soulstones have lesser critters in them (an umbral dragon, a fire elemental, two shadow demons, etc.), but I found this massive soulstone that is both terrifying and fascinating. I figured out it houses a balor (= the equivalent of a balrog). I'm only a 9th level character. If I am in a hateful mood toward the deva and he gives me lip, I'm tempted to let out the balrog and then run like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Home wrecker.

More seriously, I always wanted to give the White Wolf games an honest go -- I even own the Exalted 2e core book* -- but I've only played any of them twice.
    I played one round of Exalted (probably for about four months?), but it never really did much for me. There's some similarities in the very basic parts of the system between NWoD and Exalted, but I really really did not like Exalted so much that our gaming group never went back to us. But I'd play NWoD again in a heartbeat. The mechanics were pretty simple (compared to Exalted, even); and incremental build-up of skills rather than needing to level is another plus. Power/Skill improvement also seems more easily linked to actual gameplay. I also like the setting ... I'm into monsters, ghosts, hunters, and whatever else.

The first was playing a single session of V:tM under a diceless story-teller who I didn't like all that much, and the second was about a week of a play-by-post Exalted campaign. I think I would have stuck with the Exalted campaign if it had been face-to-face, but alas, that experience was part of me learning that I just can't keep my focus in such a slow-paced format.

*Which I now kinda feel like was a waste of money, given that they're working on a 3e ruleset, and apparently fixing a lot of broken stuff.
    Yeah, we had the errata for Exalted and had to use it regularly. It was kind of a mess. I found the actual face-to-face sessions slow; I can't imagine it play-by-post. The learning curve was also atrocious... and I've played a number of games over the years (Star Wars, Top Secret, Gamma World, Champions, Paranoia, D&D, etc.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    In my current campaign, I ended up playing an evil character.
    I didn't plan to be evil, it just happened.
    I started as neutral.
    That's a great story! And very true to evil -- "I'm not evil, I'm pragmatic."

I actually stumbled upon TypeC because of alignment. I was researching how past editions have defined and treated it, and looking for interesting blogs on the topic. I found a blog where someone had mapped the 9-alignment grid onto a personality theory. And oh, I don't know if anyone here goes far enough back to remember this, but there used to be alignment languages in early D&D! Not like the full-fledged celestial and abyssal tongues and whatnot, but kinda like proto-languages that creatures of the different alignments universally understood. D&D's history is full of quirky stuff!

Anyhow, alignment is one of those things that I like in concept, but have never seen actually executed to my liking. Every edition gives them overly specific definitions and ties alignment to too many rules, or -- as in the two most recent editions -- divorces alignment from virtually everything, so it may as well not exist at all. Of course alignment is a hot-button topic, so maybe this is for the best.

I played one round of Exalted (probably for about four months?), but it never really did much for me. There's some similarities in the very basic parts of the system between NWoD and Exalted, but I really really did not like Exalted so much that our gaming group never went back to us. But I'd play NWoD again in a heartbeat. The mechanics were pretty simple (compared to Exalted, even); and incremental build-up of skills rather than needing to level is another plus. Power/Skill improvement also seems more easily linked to actual gameplay. I also like the setting ... I'm into monsters, ghosts, hunters, and whatever else.
    Haha, I like monsters and hunters too. Heck, I've watched too much Supernatural to deny it! But there's something about the 'It's like the real world, except...' premise that I find unsatisfying. I want my fantasy worlds to be fantastic. I do like that WoD at least has an explanation for why the world's general populace is unaware of all the supernatural stuff going on, unlike Supernatural, which is just like "Setting inconsist...oooh look it's Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles so hawt what was the problem again?"

Yeah, we had the errata for Exalted and had to use it regularly. It was kind of a mess. I found the actual face-to-face sessions slow; I can't imagine it play-by-post. The learning curve was also atrocious... and I've played a number of games over the years (Star Wars, Top Secret, Gamma World, Champions, Paranoia, D&D, etc.)
    I'm hoping to find a steady group after I graduate in May, but if not, I'm planning to try a virtual tabletop program to scratch that gaming itch that I haven't been able to scratch for toooooooo long! (I hear good things about Roll20.)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    That's a great story! And very true to evil -- "I'm not evil, I'm pragmatic."
    Yes, exactly. I'm not much for "OH I RAPE PUPPIES!" kind of evil and "OH I'M SUCH A GOODY TWO SHOES" kind of good, that's not how it works IRL really except for your extremists. Typically it's something more low-key and deeper-seated, and meanwhile "evil" people often don't view themselves as evil. Sumiko (my character) really doesn't think she's doing anything wrong; and the few times she really does cross a line and blatantly take advantage of someone, she feels like they deserved it because they were stupid or "it's just how life works, so you need to do this." She starts to take it personally when someone in her group labels her as "evil," since she's just being smart and successful and without her they'd fail (in her opinion).

[She's also a pain in the ass because she's the "knowledge skill wonk" of the group and has all 9's and higher in every field of knowledge known to the world, specializing in planar knowledge. Little Miss Know-It-All, and she's quick to remind everyone of how smart she is. Lol. She has a trait that lets her use her 20 Int for Intimidate checks instead of Char.]

It's really pretty interesting watching the group dynamics play out. We have an inquisitor who is very "good" and since I'm playing it this way and not being overly evil outwardly, he's kind of able to work with me... but he still feels compromised in some ways and vice versa. The rest of the party falls somewhere in the middle.

I actually stumbled upon TypeC because of alignment. I was researching how past editions have defined and treated it, and looking for interesting blogs on the topic. I found a blog where someone had mapped the 9-alignment grid onto a personality theory. And oh, I don't know if anyone here goes far enough back to remember this, but there used to be alignment languages in early D&D!
    hahaha, yes! 1st edition AD&D, you could speak your "alignment language." At the time I accepted it (I was only 12) and then later was like, whut? But yeah, I'm not sure how it worked.

Anyhow, alignment is one of those things that I like in concept, but have never seen actually executed to my liking. Every edition gives them overly specific definitions and ties alignment to too many rules, or -- as in the two most recent editions -- divorces alignment from virtually everything, so it may as well not exist at all. Of course alignment is a hot-button topic, so maybe this is for the best.
    I basically agree. They try to define it too exactly and thus restrict it / stereotype it. I found a few sites that actually had decent overviews (and where I got part of my neutral evil concept from), I'll post them here if I find the links.

I'm hoping to find a steady group after I graduate in May, but if not, I'm planning to try a virtual tabletop program to scratch that gaming itch that I haven't been able to scratch for toooooooo long! (I hear good things about Roll20.)
    I play periodically on Roll20 with a group from INTPf. (We're doing pathfinder.) I haven't GM'ed so I can't speak to that end, but it seems pretty good for what it is -- the ability to actually game with a group of players from literally all around the world. (About half of the group is from Australia, two are from the US, and 1-2 are from Europe.) You should give it a shot and see what you think. There's also an audio link through Roll20, although we all actually turn that off and use Skype (group call) for the audio portion.

With Roll20, you can set up all your common rolls ahead of time for your character via macros, so you just need to click a button to make an attack or a particular skill check. The GM can also control what portion of the map you see. It's kinda cool.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sumiko released the angel tonight. The angel was rather pissy and ended up Holy Smiting us once (with little effect). We talked him into laying off so we could all get along and defeat the demon who wanted to invade reality. still pissy, he told the psimole we had (a really dumb little psionic mole creature with an INT of 1) to lead us, zapped him, and basically transmogged him into a sentient psimole -- WIS14, INT16, DEX12, and even a small pool of power points, and speaking four language. So now it's leading us to our goal.

We also found an amulet that gives anyone with CL1 the ability to cast energy ray, so we wrapped it around the psimole, and I used my Craft Wondrous Items to make a levitating saucer so the psimole actually can sit in it and rise up and down. So he's like a flying intelligent psimole with the ability to fire a 3d6 energy ray twice a day.

This is just insane.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

In one of my campaigns, I was a feral, savagr barbarian whose parents were raised by wolves, and my parents were likely siblings who were both abandoned at the same time.

I'd totally play more if my friends and I could get together consistently.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I accidentally found a +6 sword at a low level and people thought I was a God for a while. Then the sword, which was needed to save the world I guess, I didn't want to give it up because it was the source of my power.

~~~~

I play more Warhammer FRP than I do DnD now-a-days.. I play a troll slayer, and I'm quite fond of the "I don't give a shit I just want to kill things until I die" tank characters. :3 We were told to lay low for a while, me and my buddy.. and instead he started taking bets for me in fighting--I caught someone's eye even though my opponent threw the fight for quick coins, and so I was rushed off to an arena to play entertainment for a bunch of nobles--including the ones that told us to lay low.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Although Dannick began this thread to hear and tell stories, I'd like to pose a different mini-topic for anyone interested. I'm a rules-tinker, and I'm always thinking about different ways that rpgs can be set up, and what I do and don't like about D&D in particular. So let's talk about class-based games, point-based games, and compromises between the two!

From @Jennifer's comments on WoD, it sounds like she prefers the freedom and immersion that comes with point-based character creation. I myself have mixed opinions on the subject. How 'bout the other TypeC gamers? ...And do you think your opinion has to do with your type?

My rambly thoughts:

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, we can discuss it here, or we could break that out into a new thread if people are interested.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I accidentally found a +6 sword at a low level and people thought I was a God for a while. Then the sword, which was needed to save the world I guess, I didn't want to give it up because it was the source of my power.
    This sword belongeth not in the sheath of any mortal
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes kyuuei liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    This sword belongeth not in the sheath of any mortal
    Sadly, you'd think some level 15 fighter would say, "What's that geeky third-level guy doing with a sword that great? That should be MY sword!" and kill him for it.

I mean, day-um, a sword with +6 in bonuses (which I don't even know if legal, according to the rules -- doesn't it cap at +5?) would cost 72K in gold? That's a lot of money. You'd think even a non-fighter would be killing him (burning oil, clouds of arrows, dead adventurer in 5 seconds) just to sell it for gold.