User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

For those who have played multiple D&D games before, I'm curious on a sense of scale.

My character (and almost everyone else) is almost at level 5. We've been playing since early Feburary. Total hours of play probably totaling around 130 hours.

How fast/slow is this progression compared to normal?
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Hmm. Five levels = 26 hours per level?
    Which for 3-4 hour play sessions means around 7 sessions per level?

That's probably average leaning towards slow and/or just plain slow simply because you started at level 1 and usually the leveling is quicker there.

(My current campaign, we started about a year ago at level 6 and are now level 13, and play generally once a week, with a missed week here and there, for 3-4 hours.)

Of course, other things factor in:
    1. Do you enjoy the roleplay/story? [i.e., do levels impact the story that much? Do you notice you're low-level?]
    2. How much swag/gear have you gotten? [to compensate for low static class abilities]
    3. Do you often feel hindered / incapable of handling the adventure?

The books offer a few different speeds of advancement anyway (low/average/high), speed can be tailored to suit party need. On my Roll20 games, we were leveling every two sessions while starting at level 1. That is fast IMO. But if you are enjoying your campaign, feel capable, and have some items in your possession that add some versatility to play (since your class abilities aren't diversifying quickly), then it still sounds like it could be fun.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Hard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Vorthos View Post
    Has anybody had that one player that accidentally triggered almost every trap?
    That's usually me. I just get tired of "Do we want to just bypass this potential trap?", "If not, how do we cleverly avoid all possible fallout?", "Who opened the last door?", "Who has the most HP and the highest defenses?", "Whose turn is it to take one for the team?" that I end up saying "Fuck it, I open the door! What happens?"

Which I guess makes it only sorta accidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So there we go. My first "evil" character is now also officially undead.
    Nice! Your post made me want to crack open my 2e MM, and compare Sumiko's attitude with the lich description...

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Manual, AD&D 2e
    Although the lich has no interest in good or evil as we understand it, the creature will do whatever it must to further its own causes. Since it feels that the living are of little importance, the lich is often viewed as evil by those who encounter it. In rare cases, liches of a most unusual nature can be found which are of any alignment.
    If I recall, Sumiko thinks she's a good person, which isn't quite the same as 'no interest in good or evil as we understand it,' but the 'whatever must be done' bit does sound like her. And there are probably a few people who consider her evil after encountering her, no?

(This is the kind of thing I was researching when I stumbled upon TypeC!)
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

So I ran my adventure's third session last night, and it went very well despite all the stressing I did over it during the past couple of weeks. I had been stressing over rewriting a dungeon complex as a skill challenge.* I had had this platonic ideal of what I wanted the dungeon to play like, and kept trying make my design conform to that ideal. And when I couldn't, I got frustrated and defeatist, and ended up not actually finishing the rewrite until 20 minutes before the game started yesterday. Why do I do this?! This isn't the first time that a platonic ideal has frustrated a creative endeavor of mine. Back when I was taking art classes, I'd get preoccupied with executing the perfect piece in this same way, which results in frustration when I can't reach anything near perfection with my first try. Which part of typology explains this?

Anyhow, we had a great third session last night! After running the dungeon-as-skill-challenge, I asked my two present players for input and they both said it was fun and gave me a bit of constructive criticism. One plays Dungeon World, and suggested more fail-forward. So now it's a matter of practice makes perfect.

*The Skill Challenge is 4e's approach to non-combat encounters. I tried this approach a couple of times back in 2008, but quickly gave up on the idea. (Even 4e fans agree that the DMG's advice on running SCs is terrible due to it being 'new tech' at the time of publication.) Many 4e DMs didn't give up though, and got really good -- probably even better than the WotC guys -- at designing and running SCs. I got a lot of help from these DMs while rewriting.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    If I recall, Sumiko thinks she's a good person, which isn't quite the same as 'no interest in good or evil as we understand it,' but the 'whatever must be done' bit does sound like her. And there are probably a few people who consider her evil after encountering her, no? )
    On cell and might add more later, but "good/evil" to her is little more than philosophical hodgepodge now, which is the only sense she would try to justify something as good. Her natural frame is "smart/dumb" or "competent/fail." So yes, she doesn't care much for good/evil except others keep bringing it up. Earlier in life, people told her she was "bad" and so she tried to justify how she was "good" ...but it no longer matters, as soon as she got distance and especially no longer being mortal.

She's actually become less edgy since becoming a lich; death becomes her. I think because she can't die, she feels safer, so she's less volatile. It's so ironic. Another in game character said last session, " you know, I heard awful things about you Sumiko, but you don't seem nearly as bad as they made you out to be." Lol! But I do think fear can drive aggression, and since she's less fearful, she's not as quick to flip out in a dangerous situation. But she has definitely taken more chances recently....like facing off with that dragon. And other things I'll relay.

EDIT: Greater Shadows attack

The Dead God

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    For those who have played multiple D&D games before, I'm curious on a sense of scale.

My character (and almost everyone else) is almost at level 5. We've been playing since early Feburary. Total hours of play probably totaling around 130 hours.

How fast/slow is this progression compared to normal?
    Hey, Hard is playing D&D! Woot!

I agree with Jennifer's assessment; you're in low third gear. 'How fast to level?' is one D&D's eternal questions. (And debates.) DMs -- particularly old school and 'story' DMs -- usually favor slow advancement, while players usually favor fast. And depending on which edition you're playing, advancement may start out fast and then peter out the higher level you get.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Hey, Hard is playing D&D! Woot!

I agree with Jennifer's assessment; you're in low third gear. 'How fast to level?' is one D&D's eternal questions. (And debates.) DMs -- particularly old school and 'story' DMs -- usually favor slow advancement, while players usually favor fast. And depending on which edition you're playing, advancement may start out fast and then peter out the higher level you get.
    We started advancing A LOT faster during out last session. Managed to clock over 4000xp for myself alone. It was due to two factors, the first being getting A LOT of stuff done, and our DM being stubborn/silly. Long story short, my character now has fireball as a spell (5E), and I blew up 30 super low enemies in one hit. So he brought them back as zombified enemies as a "joke revenge" and I did the exact same thing again. He did that a third time and I destroyed them all in 2 hits. It added up to A LOT of xp based on how he calculated it. It was hilarious. He says "they'll be back..." but is holding off for now, as he said the third wave would have easily killed us if they got in range.

He also realized that he's scaling the xp based off a system he's used to with 3.5E and is going to think about it. Largely because he recognizes that we are leveling slow. We're gonna try to aim for leveling every 3 sessions or so based off an average amount of conflict/success.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, I am having tons of fun .

Likes Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I have played off and on for over 15 years now, and in all our campaigns, both DM and players have been quite satisfied with relatively slow leveling up. The timeline @Hard mentioned is not atypical for us, but then we are relatively "old school" and focus very much on story. We play around a large table, sometimes with hex grids, models, and miniatures, and paper notes flying back and forth. We have always worked to avoid hack/slash campaigns in favor of problem solving, detective work, and character interaction. Our group has always enjoyed it that way.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Hard, Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    ..Ultimately it doesn't matter, I am having tons of fun .
    That's all that really matters. Some people get hung up on rules; i figured as long as everyone in a group is having fun and agrees on what is fair (in terms of gameplay), so that you can actually PLAY a game (since rules set the boundaries hopefully to balance everyone's play), then it doesn't matter whether you are playing a standard game or a homespun one.

We started advancing A LOT faster during out last session. Managed to clock over 4000xp for myself alone. It was due to two factors, the first being getting A LOT of stuff done, and our DM being stubborn/silly. Long story short, my character now has fireball as a spell (5E), and I blew up 30 super low enemies in one hit. So he brought them back as zombified enemies as a "joke revenge" and I did the exact same thing again. He did that a third time and I destroyed them all in 2 hits. It added up to A LOT of xp based on how he calculated it. It was hilarious. He says "they'll be back..." but is holding off for now, as he said the third wave would have easily killed us if they got in range.
    Freaking wizards, they're such glass cannons.

When I was running my overpowered pathfinder Barb, who was capable of doing a pounce (full attack on a charge move), if she hit all four times (often she did), she could reasonably do about 130-160pts damage to the target. Great single target attacker. But the sorc held the all-time damage in one round record -- he got it when he did an AoE (Stoneshard?), he managed to wipe out a bunch of innocent bystander citizens who got caught in the AoE. I think it was around 250pts altogether, when you tallied all the people he killed... from one spell. And it honestly wasn't a high-powered spell - he just happened to catch a LOT of people within its area of effect, and unfortunately most of them didnt' survive it.

Actually, that reminds me -- when Sumiko channeled her Great Umbral Wyrm stone to cast Destruction, the dragon is CL29 and she did 290 pts of damage to the green dragon. Bwa ha ha. Anyway... at high levels, spells win hands-down. It just takes awhile to get that kind of power, and once you cast a spell, it's gone for the day. You only get so many slots.

But there is nothing like casting a 12d6 fireball and watching things run away on fire.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's all that really matters. Some people get hung up on rules; i figured as long as everyone in a group is having fun and agrees on what is fair (in terms of gameplay), so that you can actually PLAY a game (since rules set the boundaries hopefully to balance everyone's play), then it doesn't matter whether you are playing a standard game or a homespun one.

Freaking wizards, they're such glass cannons.

When I was running my overpowered pathfinder Barb, who was capable of doing a pounce (full attack on a charge move), if she hit all four times (often she did), she could reasonably do about 130-160pts damage to the target. Great single target attacker. But the sorc held the all-time damage in one round record -- he got it when he did an AoE (Stoneshard?), he managed to wipe out a bunch of innocent bystander citizens who got caught in the AoE. I think it was around 250pts altogether, when you tallied all the people he killed... from one spell. And it honestly wasn't a high-powered spell - he just happened to catch a LOT of people within its area of effect, and unfortunately most of them didnt' survive it.

Actually, that reminds me -- when Sumiko channeled her Great Umbral Wyrm stone to cast Destruction, the dragon is CL29 and she did 290 pts of damage to the green dragon. Bwa ha ha. Anyway... at high levels, spells win hands-down. It just takes awhile to get that kind of power, and once you cast a spell, it's gone for the day. You only get so many slots.

But there is nothing like casting a 12d6 fireball and watching things run away on fire.
    I'm actually pretty laid back with how our DM uses the rules. I actually get most bent out of shape when he tries to do something that breaks physics. Half the time I can usually get him to listen to me. You'd think I'd get all anal when something is done wrong mechanically. I look at it from the prospective of fun though. So long as it's fun, fair, and not OP or UP then it's a-ok with me.

Yeah I am a sorceror. Currently my fireball is 8d6 (which is tons of fun to roll cause I have a bunch of 5mm tiny dice). Lots of the available higher levels spells have AoE which is what I will be aiming for. It fits my character anyway (as he has developed he really like mass destruction, and fire, despite being lawful). That is a shiiiitton of damage though. I assume that was done at higher levels. Spellcasting just makes the most sense in my mind, mechanically anyway with how to use them.