User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 183

  1. #141
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Well, I got the low-down on the Psionic lich-making ritual:



    My Will save is currently only a +11 and the DC is 21. Eeek.

    Also, I have no CON bonus, so a DC 10 CON check is iffy.
    (However, my autohypnosis is 9 and Resist Dying DC15 check sounds makeable -- if I can swap that in.)

    So as it stands, I won't fail the Spellcraft, but I only have a 28% chance of making both the Will save and the CON check. Not good.

    I do have a few options in there. If I sacrifice 32 HD of followers (I currently have 48 + my thrall, the latter of which I have no intention of killing -- I'm not a monster!), who would be "willing," I could get a +10 on a save. I could also just capture and kill innocent victims. (Hmmm. Again, so EVIL. Am I "B-B-B-Bad to the Beak" or not?)

    I can also retrain one of my psionic powers to Fortify, which I could use to get me a +7 on saves for 11PPs, lasting 11 minutes. That might be my best bet. It increases my chances to 90% x 85% = 77% or so. And if I can use my Autohypnosis: Resist Dying, I can improve that + I get my 1d6 Mythic bonus once a day.

    Also, if I can get followers who can cast something on me that would allow me to reroll a save once a day... yeah.

    it looks like our Barb player will have to quit due to getting a new job with hours on game night. I made a joke to the GM about, "Hey, I bet that barbarian that's about to disappear is good for 12HD." Isn't he a team player?

    ...anyway, the worse part is how to preserve my body to the best possible outcome. I think I can pull off the DC 30 eventually, but that DC 50 might just not be attainable.


    Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Yeah, some gamers can prove those ugly gamer stereotypes painfully true. I'm not exactly a social virtuoso myself, so I have sympathy for gamers who use the hobby as a social safe haven, but the older I get the less patience I have for dealing with more extreme examples. Specifically the ones who can't or won't improve themselves. The next time I join or form a group -- hopefully sooner rather than later! -- I'm going to do my best to screen this kind of gamer.
    Yeah, it's kind of a pasttime that everyone playing needs to enjoy; if you're not enjoying it for some reason, it makes sense to change what you can or be part of a group you can enjoy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #142
    Senior Member Passacaglia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    So I'm DMing my first Roll20 adventure tomorrow night! I'm excited but feeling somewhat anxious about it.

    Any tips for Roll20 gaming that you can share, @Jennifer?
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

  3. #143
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    So I'm DMing my first Roll20 adventure tomorrow night! I'm excited but feeling somewhat anxious about it.

    Any tips for Roll20 gaming that you can share, Jennifer?
    I haven't GM'ed anything on Roll20, but random tidbits:

    1. you can control the map to only be exposed (maybe even for each individual player?), as they move around; everything they haven't seen yet can remain black.

    2. You can input character sheets for each person into the system and connect them to dice rolls. I don't really understand that, just stating it's possible.

    3. Even without the sheets, macros are really useful for dice rolls. For each of my characters i have about 8-10 icons set up at screen bottom, for various kinds of rolls. (Single attack / full attacks / ranged attack / social skills / knowledge skills / saving throws / etc.) Basically, clicking the button will do all the rolls in that category for you... even if you just need one. But it's easier than doing them by hand. You just take the roll you need. You just need to factor in any circumstantial bonuses. I can give you some macro code if you need it, based on what I already have.

    4. You can use the voice/video in the system. We actually turn that off and use Skype in its place.

    5. You can have everyone send you an icon ahead of time and you can set up each icon so that the user can control theirs (and just theirs).

    6. there's also some way to set up the initiative so that when everyone rolls initiative, it sends it to a central tracker (a small table) where you can order it.

    You can read the forums on roll20 if necessary to find out how to do some of this.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

  4. #144
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Waiting for word back from the GM, but Sumiko finished her soulstone in game time a few weeks back and we just leveled again. The GM and I had discussed only making this change after she leveled again, so any "new abilities" she seemed to show would just seem to be part of the leveling rather than becoming a lich behind closed doors. I made all the rolls I needed to make that he had presented me with via e-mail.



    So there we go. My first "evil" character is now also officially undead. She is also a Tier 2 mythic creature. I happened to ask the GM, "So she's mythic, AND she's a lich... so can I use the mythic lich template instead?" I'm figuring he'll say no, so I asked more as a joke... I loaded it up in Hero Lab for kicks and it's just insanely crazy -- mythic tier level for mythic lich is CR/2 (which for her is 7). It's just insane. She'd get an SR of 31 or something crazy, plus anything that strikes her would have to save (DC 28) against permanent paralyzation, plus a few more stats boosts (with her HPs breaking 200), and that's not everything. IOW, she'd be kind of untouchable.

    The only thing that would make her palatable in a campaign is that she actually doesn't have many aggressive powers -- pretty much she's just a skill/knowledge wonk who can't be confined against her will. Her major offensive weapons currently are just the umbral dragon soulgem and the two shadow demon gems (that she uses primarily for Greater Teleport -- she can bamf anywhere within the plane at will, although she can't take her thrall with her).

    I never did finish her journal, although we now can't play for three weeks, so I might go back and write up some journal entries for her over the course of the campaign, more as a role-playing exercise. It's something she would do. (Of course it would be in an arcane language that no one except someone with exceptional intelligence could read.) I figured it would be cool for the GM to have, in case he wants to run a similar campaign later or something set centuries later in the world... he could incorporate it into the game, as she has a dark book of soul magic that another mentalist wrote centuries ago...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #145
    Member Vorthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ENTp Ne
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Waiting for word back from the GM, but Sumiko finished her soulstone in game time a few weeks back and we just leveled again. The GM and I had discussed only making this change after she leveled again, so any "new abilities" she seemed to show would just seem to be part of the leveling rather than becoming a lich behind closed doors. I made all the rolls I needed to make that he had presented me with via e-mail.



    So there we go. My first "evil" character is now also officially undead. She is also a Tier 2 mythic creature. I happened to ask the GM, "So she's mythic, AND she's a lich... so can I use the mythic lich template instead?" I'm figuring he'll say no, so I asked more as a joke... I loaded it up in Hero Lab for kicks and it's just insanely crazy -- mythic tier level for mythic lich is CR/2 (which for her is 7). It's just insane. She'd get an SR of 31 or something crazy, plus anything that strikes her would have to save (DC 28) against permanent paralyzation, plus a few more stats boosts (with her HPs breaking 200), and that's not everything. IOW, she'd be kind of untouchable.

    The only thing that would make her palatable in a campaign is that she actually doesn't have many aggressive powers -- pretty much she's just a skill/knowledge wonk who can't be confined against her will. Her major offensive weapons currently are just the umbral dragon soulgem and the two shadow demon gems (that she uses primarily for Greater Teleport -- she can bamf anywhere within the plane at will, although she can't take her thrall with her).

    I never did finish her journal, although we now can't play for three weeks, so I might go back and write up some journal entries for her over the course of the campaign, more as a role-playing exercise. It's something she would do. (Of course it would be in an arcane language that no one except someone with exceptional intelligence could read.) I figured it would be cool for the GM to have, in case he wants to run a similar campaign later or something set centuries later in the world... he could incorporate it into the game, as she has a dark book of soul magic that another mentalist wrote centuries ago...
    That's awesome. And an excellent idea too. Should be rather fun to roll-play! It's a shame that you can't try it out for a while, but I like the idea nonetheless.


    I was GMing a one-shot dungeon crawler once with a bunch of noobs to expose them to how the game works and how fun it can be. The player dynamic was hilarious. The players all got right into their roles and it was so fun to watch. We were playing with a house rule that when rolling a D20 in pretty much any situation, a natural 20 is an instant success, and a natural 1 is instant failure in the worst possible way for the situation. Our party was engaged with a bunch of velociraptors (essentially modified crocodiles), and our elvish ranger wanted to try and do an acrobatic manoever to try and shoot one that he knew was behind a column, but couldn't see. He rolled a 1 on his check, missed horribly, and accidentally hit our cleric, killing her. Fortunately he could reroll a miss as an encounter power, so it didn't actually take effect, but it was certainly memorable. Later, at the final boss (a modified deathjump spider), our halfling bard was about to get eaten by the spider, so he tried to reason with it using diplomacy. The spider didn't know any languages, so it was impossible, but I let him try. He rolled a natural 20, so he inexplicably (and hilariously) managed to convince the spider to join the party. It ended the boss fight in the best way possible.

    Has anybody had that one player that accidentally triggered almost every trap?
    (Translator's note: keikaku means plan)
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

  6. #146
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorthos View Post
    That's awesome. And an excellent idea too. Should be rather fun to roll-play! It's a shame that you can't try it out for a while, but I like the idea nonetheless.
    The best part is that no one knows but me and the GM. I haven't even hinted it to other players, because I don't want people to "meta-game" it (which they sometimes have done). I have a strong psionic disguise and a Misdirection effect going, etc., so in everyone else's view, I am Neutral and not Undead, and they expect me to have psionic/magic auras on me because that's my character. I will keep rolling for even the stuff I'm invulnerable to now as a lich and play it as straight as I can (as I'm not "stupid/crazy evil," I'm "pragmatic evil," fluctuating between Neutral and Neutral Evil in alignment, so no one will really suspect).

    I wonder how long I can keep things going before someone discovers my 'secret.' If not, we'll have a good laugh after the campaign is over. I suspect I am not the only player with secrets.

    I was GMing a one-shot dungeon crawler once with a bunch of noobs to expose them to how the game works and how fun it can be. The player dynamic was hilarious. The players all got right into their roles and it was so fun to watch. We were playing with a house rule that when rolling a D20 in pretty much any situation, a natural 20 is an instant success, and a natural 1 is instant failure in the worst possible way for the situation.
    heh, that's awesome... and effective.

    Our party was engaged with a bunch of velociraptors (essentially modified crocodiles), and our elvish ranger wanted to try and do an acrobatic manoever to try and shoot one that he knew was behind a column, but couldn't see. He rolled a 1 on his check, missed horribly, and accidentally hit our cleric, killing her. Fortunately he could reroll a miss as an encounter power, so it didn't actually take effect, but it was certainly memorable. Later, at the final boss (a modified deathjump spider), our halfling bard was about to get eaten by the spider, so he tried to reason with it using diplomacy. The spider didn't know any languages, so it was impossible, but I let him try. He rolled a natural 20, so he inexplicably (and hilariously) managed to convince the spider to join the party. It ended the boss fight in the best way possible.
    That's definitely hilarious! How long did the boss stay with the group? Or did it remain as an NPC resource in later adventures? I love that stuff.

    Has anybody had that one player that accidentally triggered almost every trap?
    oh gawd, I guess I didn't post my story on THIS forum. (Same character -- my tengu cryptic/thrallherd and the party ninja carefully worked our way through the hypertrapped room... and after we reached the center and were pondering what to do with the focus crystal there, the ratfolk cleric who has a crush on my character ran past us to do something heroic. It was Horrible.)

    Full story (for the bored):


    It's like reading old Fineous Fingers / What's New, or I guess the newer Order of the Stick / Knights of the Dinner Table / and all those other fun cartoons.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #147
    Member Vorthos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ENTp Ne
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The best part is that no one knows but me and the GM. I haven't even hinted it to other players, because I don't want people to "meta-game" it (which they sometimes have done). I have a strong psionic disguise and a Misdirection effect going, etc., so in everyone else's view, I am Neutral and not Undead, and they expect me to have psionic/magic auras on me because that's my character. I will keep rolling for even the stuff I'm invulnerable to now as a lich and play it as straight as I can (as I'm not "stupid/crazy evil," I'm "pragmatic evil," fluctuating between Neutral and Neutral Evil in alignment, so no one will really suspect).

    I wonder how long I can keep things going before someone discovers my 'secret.' If not, we'll have a good laugh after the campaign is over. I suspect I am not the only player with secrets.
    That sounds amazing! That's a really good idea. Roleplaying that sounds like it would be so fun. My best idea in terms of roleplay was for a warforged bard that wants to make money hire a necromancer so that he can resurrect his old enemies so he can slay them again. But that's got nothing on your idea!

    That's definitely hilarious! How long did the boss stay with the group? Or did it remain as an NPC resource in later adventures? I love that stuff.
    The plan is to have it remain with the party in a new campaign I'm planning. It should be really awesome.

    As for your story, I loved it. That sounds like it was a fun game. Infighting among the party is often quite interesting (even if it's because of hallucinations).
    (Translator's note: keikaku means plan)

  8. #148
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Well, it's official: Sumiko is a lich, and the GM and I figured out that she could make the DC 50 so she looks pretty lifelike (even though she could use her magical disguise to look like a rotting lich, I suppose, if she wants the full impact).

    Better yet, I made the joke about whether I could be a "mythic lich" (Since I'm mythic and I'm a lich), and his only response was, "... not yet." You mean that's even on the table?! This campaign is going to get all kinds of crazy if he'll allow that, since it means all the other players will have some pretty hefty boosts in their own way.

    Then again, we're trying to stop a dead god from coming back, after the other gods killed him because he was such a jerk. So maybe this'll be my first ever "high level" campaign.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorthos View Post
    That sounds amazing! That's a really good idea. Roleplaying that sounds like it would be so fun. My best idea in terms of roleplay was for a warforged bard that wants to make money hire a necromancer so that he can resurrect his old enemies so he can slay them again. But that's got nothing on your idea!
    That actually sounds pretty cool. I like it when people come up with ideas that are off the beaten trope, as if the character (gasp) were actually real people behaving in real ways but just in a fantasy environment.

    The plan is to have it remain with the party in a new campaign I'm planning. It should be really awesome.

    As for your story, I loved it. That sounds like it was a fun game. Infighting among the party is often quite interesting (even if it's because of hallucinations).
    I don't think I told you who my thrall was: Carnage Grimgrin, a gnome dread who acts as my bodyguard. His teeth are all filed into points, and he uses Fear in Flesh and Strength of my Enemies to basically become this little terrifying clawed/toothed badass tearing things apart with his hands after he Fears them in some way. (His personality is kind of a very nasty version of Bronn off GoT.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #149
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    D&D statistics as explained through tomatoes:

    Strength is being able to crush a tomato
    Dexterity is being able to juggle a tomato
    Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato
    Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in your fruit salad
    Charisma is being able to sell people a tomato-based fruit salad.
    Bonus:
    Comeliness is being able to recognize when you're a hot tomato.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #150
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Sumiko had her first real test of being a lich tonight, to see what she could do.

    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-04-2017, 08:43 AM
  2. What Dungeons and Dragons 5 by 5 alignment are you?
    By BWCB1890 in forum Other Personality Systems
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-11-2016, 05:12 PM
  3. A Dungeons and Dragons Alignment test.
    By Eruca in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 10-02-2014, 08:19 PM
  4. Dungeons & Dragons Saved My Life
    By Vasilisa in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2014, 09:04 AM
  5. Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition
    By ArbiterDewey in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO