• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The 2014 Oscars

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I have to say: This has been the best Oscar telecast in years.

Ellen was a really good host. She was funny without going for over-the-top shocks.
Make her a consistent host ala Billy Crystal.

And the tablet self-groupie was an instant classic.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
tumblr_n1uhazrerP1s3vfuto1_500.png

article-2571728-1BFC650800000578-424_634x765.jpg

tumblr_n1ut15HBAW1qcbk34o1_500.png

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Apparently, the pizza man got a $2 tip for a $1500+ order according to an electronic receipt posted online. He should've made sure that the next Oscar telecast's "In Memoriam" lasted longer than the show. Poor guy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In other news, the Razzies have taken time out to recognize such easy targets as Movie 43, After Earth, and The Lone Ranger.

Movie 43 is getting the short end of the stick here, it's a convenient target that isn't deserving of the crap being dumped on it.

It's biggest fault is that pretty much all the humor in it is crass, but once you accept that, I found a number of the clips really funny. (My favorite is probably "Homeschooled" with ends up showcasing some of the crappiest experiences that any of us have had in high school.) Maybe it aims at the lowest common denominator at times, but I'm kind of surprised at what a convenient target it is compared to some of the truly horrible movies that have come out this year. It's also a compilation sketch film, which means the connection story isn't aimed at much more than to hold the pieces together.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Movie 43 is getting the short end of the stick here, it's a convenient target that isn't deserving of the crap being dumped on it.

It's biggest fault is that pretty much all the humor in it is crass, but once you accept that, I found a number of the clips really funny. (My favorite is probably "Homeschooled" with ends up showcasing some of the crappiest experiences that any of us have had in high school.) Maybe it aims at the lowest common denominator at times, but I'm kind of surprised at what a convenient target it is compared to some of the truly horrible movies that have come out this year. It's also a compilation sketch film, which means the connection story isn't aimed at much more than to hold the pieces together.

You know what movie should've taken home all the Razzies? A Good Day to Die Hard. but it wasn't even fucking nominated!!!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know what movie should've taken home all the Razzies? A Good Day to Die Hard. but it wasn't even fucking nominated!!!

Yeah, I never even bothered to watch it. It was a non-blip on the radar.

But I suppose that makes it too boring for a Razzie. Movie 43 had the benefit of having some pretty outrageous scenes and at least a few potentially offensive moments (depending on one's personal sensibilities).

Maybe we should consider the Razzies as redemptive. At least its nominees are considered memorably bad movies. There's nothing worse than being a bad movie that isn't even memorable; indifference in media is worse than hate.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I found A Good Day to Die Hard kind of boring at moments, but overall it did its job well as a mindless action blockbuster. Plenty of classic John McClane moments, but it just makes me want to watch the original three films more. I also got the sense they were trying to pull a Crystal Skull by introducing the next generation of McClane badass, but if you're going to do that, you'd damn well better use an actor who can at least match Willis' larger than life stature and screen presence. That was the mistake Lucas and Spielberg made with Indy 4, thinking people would actually accept Shia LeBouf as a valid successor to Harrison Ford.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That was the mistake Lucas and Spielberg made with Indy 4, thinking people would actually accept Shia LeBouf as a valid successor to Harrison Ford.

Yeah, that was an unfortunate casting choice.

I don't even remember which actor got picked as Willis' successor. Which highlights the problem you are describing.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, that was an unfortunate casting choice.

I don't even remember which actor got picked as Willis' successor. Which highlights the problem you are describing.

me neither and I'm too lazy to check IMDB. He wasn't very memorable though.

kquirk

amateur cartographer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I might give it another chance someday. The home school sketch was pretty hilarious, but in general the movie was more miss than hit and I threw in the towel pretty early on. And it wasn't the crassness; it was the lack of funniness.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I might give it another chance someday. The home school sketch was pretty hilarious, but in general the movie was more miss than hit and I threw in the towel pretty early on. And it wasn't the crassness; it was the lack of funniness.

Oh. I actually laughed at much of it, although the iBabe and "the period" sketches wore out quickly, as well as the "poop on me" bit. Durrr..... My sense of humor ranges from the dryly subtle to slapstick and just violating social norms, so...Anyway, I'd say Airplane was better, and the Naked Gun series.

Some of the casting was excellent -- for example, Justin Long as the sweet, rather ineffectual Boy Wonder against a crass pervo Batman who keeps ruining his dating life. Justin Long always evokes pathos.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally watched Dallas Buyer's Club.

I didn't see Leo in Wolf of Wall Street, but dayum, he woulda had to go for broke to beat what I saw Matt Mc do in DBC. He was good. He was really, really good. And it didn't feel like acting; he just seemed to melt into the character.

As far as Leto goes: I thought it a decent performance. I actually did see "Rayon" and not Leto, I thought of him as "her" throughout the movie without even thinking of him as a him... and it was jarring to see Rayon in a suit at one point as well as getting called "him" by the medical staff (as, thirty years ago, that was pretty much the state of things in terms of public trans understanding -- to much of the world you were still a "guy" with an odd identity, and legally you were male until surgery, and sometimes always legally male). Leto also had a great voice, something that you usually don't see with guys playing females; heck, even some trans females don't have as convincing voices.

My only big issue with Leto winning is that I didn't see the competition, and Rayon really doesn't appear much in the movie, nor has many scenes to really do something spectacular. There's a moment here, a moment there, where Rayon gets to shine; but it's all rather brief. I guess the strongest thing to say is that I saw Rayon as a real person and not as the actor playing her, it's hard for me afterwards to think that Rayon doesn't exist and was just a character in a movie.

Still not exactly sure why the trans community got its panties bunched in a wad over this, unless it is comments by Leto outside of the movie that people felt were not accurate about the trans community. {EDIT: Looking back, looks like maybe the Golden Globes speech?} I mean, watching it -- I got the impression that Rayon is one of those transsexuals who has a kind of "queen" presentation. She has some of the hallmarks of the drag queens, but not nearly as outlandish and crazy; she still seemed "female" to me rather than drag queen. Dil from "The Crying Game" is kind of in the same boat, just more refined, tbh; there's some flair normally associated with the queens, but the character is "normal feminine" in the overall scheme of things, so transsexual is still believable. When watching Rayon, I saw a woman with some exhibitionist/draggy tendencies, not a drag queen. But the mainstream non-performer crowd transsexuals usually just scan as cisgen women in their approach to femininity. The most touching moments in the movie were Rayon acting just like any other woman/person would and momentarily dropping any of her "queenie" bravado.

Anyway, I think the community really just flipped out over this and lost some ground publicly because of it. Leto gave a great performance, and the character was a just a character - it wasn't supposed to be representative of the entire community. But I'll have to go look up Leto's commentary elsewhere, to see if that was what ticked people off.

I also should say that Jennifer Garner did a really nice job too; she felt like your average, normal human being, and relaxed in a way I haven't always seen her. Nor was she cast as the beautiful lead / centerpiece.

Last edited: