• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The 2014 Oscars

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
What's hilarious is that the trans community sees Leto's portrayal as shit and misrepresentational. But here, he's gonna get a major award for it because men portraying females in movies are seen as amazing somehow. So I need to see this movie just so I can decide for myself whether it's just the activists getting rowled up or whether it's really just a mess of a role.

I thought Hillary Swank in "Boys Don't Cry" years back was excellent.

Thoughts? Or haven't you seen it yet?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thoughts? Or haven't you seen it yet?

um.... dude, look at the post right in front of yours. ;)

Apparently, the pizza man got a $2 tip for a $1500+ order according to an electronic receipt posted online. He should've made sure that the next Oscar telecast's "In Memoriam" lasted longer than the show. Poor guy.

Apparently Ellen was passing a hat that night for donations and he got $1000 when he appeared on her show in the next day or two.

I think (you can correct me if I'm wrong) most of the LGBT community is more upset with the content of his Golden Globes speech (which implied that he had a problematic view of his character) than his actual performance. I didn't find the performance to be misrepresentational, but neither did I find it exceptional. I think the praise for it comes mostly from a mindset that wants to reward straight dudes for the "courage" to play trans. I think it's the same mindset that rewarded Heath Ledger for his thoroughly unremarkable performance in Brokeback Mountain. I'm curious what you'll think of the performance when you see it.

I didn't hear his Golden Globe speech, so maybe I should look it up, but I wouldn't go as far to say the "LGBT community" is having an issue -- I only seem to have heard flak from the Transsexual segment of the "T" subgroup of LGBT. In fact, at my LGBT advisory group meeting on Wednesday, where I'm the only trans person of any flavor, no one else there understood why everyone was getting so upset.

EDIT:

Okay, here's one link I found.
http://www.salon.com/2014/01/13/jar... globes_speeches_show_the_worst_of_hollywood/

Looks like Leto and McConaughey took some flak for not mentioning AIDS in their speeches.

Here's Leto's actual speech.

What do you guys think of it / what's your emotional response just as speeches go? Do you think he is sincere? how's it come across?

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
um.... dude, look at the post right in front of yours. ;)

I wondered if you'd posted something but there were a lot of pages to go through and I didn't have time to go through them all.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wondered if you'd posted something but there were a lot of pages to go through and I didn't have time to go through them all.

Well, I get that... but... it was the very last post in the thread and actually appeared right before you asking me if I had posted. :newwink: