First 1234 Last

Thread: The 2014 Oscars

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedecker View Post
    I can't take the oscars seriously.
    They shouldn't be taken seriously. They can be fun though...until you forget not to take them seriously.
    5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Fair enough.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by kquirk View Post
    I hope you guys are right but a lot of "experts" are making me nervous. It is nice that for the first time in ages we don't know 100% what's going to win Picture going in.
    The most politically correct movie will win Best Picture. 12 Years a Slave. I just needed to look at the title to see that it was a preachy message movie. And it also had Grace Jones the flight attendant in Non-Stop (good movie, btw).

And am I the only one who thought Gravity was kinda stupid?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    I like it, but the reality is that the dialogue is pretty minimal and I think its achievement is art design / special effects -- I think that aspect was stunning in terms of how it's all fabricated but feels very real.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Gravity will win Best VFX, even though The Lone Ranger had the best of the lot and therefore deserves it.
    Dude, I know you're very knowledgeable on the subject, so I must ask: WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What's hilarious is that the trans community sees Leto's portrayal as shit and misrepresentational. But here, he's gonna get a major award for it because men portraying females in movies are seen as amazing somehow. So I need to see this movie just so I can decide for myself whether it's just the activists getting rowled up or whether it's really just a mess of a role.
    I think (you can correct me if I'm wrong) most of the LGBT community is more upset with the content of his Golden Globes speech (which implied that he had a problematic view of his character) than his actual performance. I didn't find the performance to be misrepresentational, but neither did I find it exceptional. I think the praise for it comes mostly from a mindset that wants to reward straight dudes for the "courage" to play trans. I think it's the same mindset that rewarded Heath Ledger for his thoroughly unremarkable performance in Brokeback Mountain. I'm curious what you'll think of the performance when you see it.

The most politically correct movie will win Best Picture. 12 Years a Slave. I just needed to look at the title to see that it was a preachy message movie. And it also had Grace Jones the flight attendant in Non-Stop (good movie, btw).

12 Years a Slave is the favorite, but I really think Gravity has a very good chance to spoil. Last year the Academy gave it to the popcorn movie (Argo) instead of the more message-y movies, plus 12 Years was anointed as a slam dunk so early in the process that I think some voters were over it by the voting period.

And you're not the only one who didn't like Gravity, but I'm really surprised that you thought it was stupid. Unlike a lot of uptight people, you've never needed a movie to "mean" something to enjoy it, and that's the only criticism I can see people having of it.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

^Dude, you have any idea how many of the fx in TLR were completely CG environments? That's how good they were. I couldn't even tell. I had to do research to see. In fact the only criticism I have in regards to the film's CGI were the jackrabbits and scorpions. And that train sequence was the most epic, well-done action setpiece (accomplished with both models and CGI) i've seen in a while.

And one thing you'll likely agree with me on is Pacific Rim getting snubbed in the category. I would've chosen it over either The Hobbit or Iron Man 3. Although even with Pacific Rim's wonderful work, I thought Transformers trilogy did it better because I could actually tell what was going on in those movies. PR had the same problem as Emmerich's Godzilla. Too many rain and night shots, probably to hide poorly rendered CGI. I suppose that sorta hurt its chances.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm confused. Did Jared Leto win for Best Supporting Actor or Best Supporting Actress?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Harrison Ford needs to stop drinquing.

And I think I liked Pain and Gain better than The Wolf of Wall Street. Dwayne Johnson deserved an Oscar nom for that one...so did Michael Bay.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

And was Jeanpaul Isaacs actually Sarah Silverman with a goatee?

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I agree with the vast majority of your picks. My exceptions would be:

Best Actor: McConaughey is a mortal lock.
    Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o is a mortal lock.
    Best Production Design: Gravity
    Best Editing: I have Gravity, but Captain Phillips is probably just as likely.
    Oh, I agree with your picks. I was just deliberately throwing curve balls for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What's hilarious is that the trans community sees Leto's portrayal as shit and misrepresentational. But here, he's gonna get a major award for it because men portraying females in movies are seen as amazing somehow. So I need to see this movie just so I can decide for myself whether it's just the activists getting rowled up or whether it's really just a mess of a role.

I thought Hillary Swank in "Boys Don't Cry" years back was excellent.
    It's the "burden of representation". If there were more transgender characters on film, each one could just be their own person and not need to tick all the boxes.

And one thing you'll likely agree with me on is Pacific Rim getting snubbed in the category.
    I know, they were robbed.

But all this is besides the fact because Gravity's CGI was mind-blowing.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte