• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

True Detective

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You want me to roll a joint?

And how did I not see that line coming?

I actually LOL'ed at that when he said it.

Second the Awww..damn. Everything is making sense now. I love Rachel McAdams in this. I liked her before but I think she is wonderful in this. And I think she and Colin Farrell do have chemistry, regardless of what I keep reading. Vince Vaughan - the more fucked up Frank is the better, imo.

I think they have chemistry too, so I don't understand why some reviewers have said otherwise. Their characters were mostly self-absorbed by their own issues for most of the show, so they wouldn't really look at each other that way... nor did they trust each other... but they've each had to face up to their issues recently and basically scan as broken people fighting to stay alive (psychologically as well as physically).

I think Vaughn has done really well when Frank is DOING something, versus just standing around trying to deliver crazy lines believably. Frank's a doer. His scene with Blake was riveting because I wasn't sure what he would do next; and the same with the Russians who came into his bar. You know he's capable of nastiness, you just don't know when he'll strike.

Crazy scene with Davis (?) too.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Yup, they were stolen around the time of the LA riots in 1992, so it's not clear yet whether they are connected to Caspere's murder. Also, the mayor's kids looked like those kids in the picture that the old cop reviewed....

You called it Jennifer.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel less and less bad about Dixon getting capped back in Episode 4. Something about him stunk... and it wasn't just the flatulence.

EDIT: Decent article about the two orphans:
The Identity of the Probable Killer on True Detective Reveals This Season’s Most Fatal Flaw | Vanity Fair

It's both sad and hilarious that the Caspere murder that started this whole thing seems to be the least compelling mystery on the show, at least in terms of where our attentions keep getting focused.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
So far it seems like a let down compared to the previous season.

Buzzz i am i know.

However they have 1 episode left to recover their reputation.

I assume the two children are the ones who killed casper - that realization i had thanks to you jen. So is that the mystery. Is there more? Cant see anything else coming our way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At one point in the finale, this movie quote insanely ran through my mind:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I thought the finale was really good.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought the finale was really good.

Yeah, that was kind of neat... and how they didn't make it quite clear at first which was which.

Interestingly it differed from the more upbeat ending of the first season. What I liked about it was that each character's arc -- whether one liked it or not personally, or how it ended for each -- was true to the character. And how the world kind of keeps on spinning regardless of the endpoint for each... some players get taken off the stage (and I'm not talking main characters necessarily, but many of the secondaries) but meanwhile others step up, and so some things change and some things persist. The phrase "we get the world we deserve" makes a lot of sense in context of the ending.

Anyway, actors on the stage of life come and go, but the crime syndicates and tangled webs of the LA political scene -- just like the sprawling highways -- continue on.

I wonder if there's enough meat here to discuss gender politics/roles in context of how this season played out....

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i really tried to like it, and i didn't *dislike* it, but season 2 was just nothing compared to season 1.

i was counting on the finale being a lot more mind blowing than it was.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty much everyone who didn't like Season 2 consistently seems to be comparing it to Season 1.

I would have the same gripes about Season 2 regardless of what season order it fell in -- all the flaws we've already discussed throughout the thread -- but I'd probably give it a "B" if I was just watching it without any reference points to prior seasons. I think where it excelled was some strong acting/character dialogues throughout the season + (primarily) in terms of tone and ambiance. The latter I thought was pretty strong and pretty consistent. I just wish they had changed Frank's dialogue/scenes to better match Vaughn's strengths (if they weren't going to recast him) + didn't make it just such a confusing mess of details that we couldn't sift through or retain easily. Maybe that is how real crime investigations work, but not necessarily a dramatic arc in a story.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
obviously it had different characters, theme, location, vibe, etc. and i knew that going in, but it was still the same show and comparison to the previous seasons are inevitable. i fully gave it a chance as a separate entity but it just didn't do it for me. i'd probably give it a B-.

vince vaughn was laughably awful, i almost thought it was intentional at times.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Sucked ass compared to the last season. Cant blame them for them.

Mediocre and draggy would be what i would call it if i havent seen the first season.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know what would have been a winner? Seeing Bezzerides' dad show up in one of those final pics, the ones showing the folks opening the new rail line.

(Bwa ha ha -- snookered 'em all along!)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
You know what would have been a winner? Seeing Bezzerides' dad show up in one of those final pics, the ones showing the folks opening the new rail line.

(Bwa ha ha -- snookered 'em all along!)

I was actually expecting this.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I agree it paled in comparison to season 1, but let's face it, season 1 was one of the most epic seasons of a serial ever.

Overall, while season 2 wasn't great, I didn't think it was too bad overall. It lacked the high intensity of season 1, but it was still a pretty decent show IMO. I think it's getting way to much criticism. I mean compared to the drop offs in some series (later Dexter seasons, this season of Hannibal) this was nowhere near as bad. I think it's just the contrast to season 1 that is resulting in the extreme harshness of the reviews.

Of the series I follow currently airing (Donovan, The Strain, Falling Skies, True Dectective) I looked forward to the weekly episode of True Detective the most, so I can't honestly criticize it too much even though I wasn't completely thrilled.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I bet no one expected to see this thread come back to life.

But today I found this:
Mahershala Ali to Star in HBO’s ‘True Detective’ Season 3 | Variety

Season 3 hasn't been approved yet, but Nic's been working on scripts since March, and a third season has more chance to be greenlit with a committed reputable cast + a decent script.

Let's just hope they get both of those elements correct this time, after the spaghetti mess of Season 2. Ali's involvement would be a great start, he seems to preserve the tone/flavor branding of who they typically cast in this series.

rav3n

So pumped for season 3 and since it's following the lackluster season 2, expectations will be lower. That said, it's supposed to be intense and excellent.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Did anyone watch both epi 1 and 2 last night?