• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

True Detective

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or beat up your "kid's" bully and their parents.
Or drive at night with no helmet and lights on.

So are you being sarcastic or agreeable here?

Characters are characters, and this is a gritty show where everyone is fucked up.
It was the same way last season.

I don't think it's endorsing people to go out and behave like these characters.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think it was a piece of weird art, with a miniature naked lady floating in white liquid.

I thought it might be another nod to David Lynch, like the shot early on of the Mulholland Drive street sign. In that movie at one point I think some characters become miniaturized or something. To me, it was a good sign that things are gonna get weird.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm Mulholland drive kinda drama wouldn't be bad as long as there is a meaningful - or not so ambiguous - ending.

Too far gone for that though.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So are you being sarcastic or agreeable here?

Characters are characters, and this is a gritty show where everyone is fucked up.
It was the same way last season.

I don't think it's endorsing people to go out and behave like these characters.

I'm merely stating, and agreeing.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it was a piece of weird art, with a miniature naked lady floating in white liquid.

I thought it might be another nod to David Lynch, like the shot early on of the Mulholland Drive street sign. In that movie at one point I think some characters become miniaturized or something. To me, it was a good sign that things are gonna get weird.

Ok, so it was a living person and not just something simple.

But why in that scene. Or was it only Ray Valcoro who saw it?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, so it was a living person and not just something simple.

But why in that scene. Or was it only Ray Valcoro who saw it?

I think his partner saw it.

Here's the very first impression we get, without a word: A large bowl of what look like milk sits in the middle of a glass coffee table. Inside, a Barbie doll-sized nude Asian model floats. "Hey," Velcoro says to Dixon. "You see that, too, right?"

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I had a different approach. There is no reason why reckless, broken, drug addict can't be a very clever guy. I don't think that as the character he was very different before bad things happened to him, probably less of a pessimist, but that's all. And it added drama to the show, cause if he was simple-minded fool I would never cared so much about what was happening.

i like the show....and i like the character.

what i don't like is every time someone brings up existentialism in a conversation is they refer to the character and emphasize drugs.

as an apotheosis of existentialism the character does not honor the tradition and weight and integrity of philosophical deep thought. it marginalizes it reduces its impact as a message in the big picture of things.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So the best answer I could get, and sadly I wished I could have figured it out on my own. I can't take credit for it. The milky bowl with the woman floating in it, is an illusion, and the symbolism behind it is... when they walked into the room, the scene might be an illusion of what really happened to the City Manager Ben Caspere's kidnapping and perhaps there are other motives.

:shrug:

Adam

MBTI Type
DEUS
I am enjoying the season thus far. All of the characters are interesting and great to watch.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Yep, I thought the same thing. They wouldn't have randomly put that in the episode.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can say that again.

.... I did feel better about Vaughn tonight, like he has sunk into his role more.

Lots of things happened on all fronts but I have trouble articulating what they were. (talk, talk, and more talk.) There was a lot of information that was disseminated during this episode.

The easiest things to recall are the two actions sequences, I guess. And that one conversation on the front porch. ;)

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Favorite episode so far, things are finally starting to come together. I feel like I know enough about the show and about the characters, to be sure I like it.

I felt like things are revealed so slowly that it's hard to make a decision until a couple episodes in.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hope it moves faster. Something about this season that feels slower than the last one.

We have the city cop drama feel to it and we are used to those moving faster than this.

I don't think the Casper fellow was killed due to his connections with the gangster though it makes more sense that way. If it's anything like the last season Casper's death is only the tip of the iceberg.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Finally caught up so I can post in this thread.

I like this season just fine so far. The characters are interesting and there seem to be a lot of threads to follow as to what is going on. The only guy who seems like a 3rd wheel so far is the gay motorcycle cop, but I'm sure he'll get more involved at some point. I like the judge character too.

I was kind of hoping they did in the Collin Farrell character for real at the end of episode 2, but I suspected it was a head fake. It's just too bold a move to off a major name for your show in the second episode, but I would have given them a gold star if they would have gone for it. Sort of a ha, ha, turns out he just had an extended cameo, we sure fooled you! I would also have considered it an homage to To Live and Die in LA for those that can recall that movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think one thing that tipped people off is that they had shown clips with Farrell in them of scenes that hadn't yet aired... so unless those had been flashbacks or they shot a bunch of footage that they didn't plan to use, it seemed that it wasn't a permanent removal.

But yeah, we'd be getting into GRRM territory at that point. I wasn't really fond of the movie Mystery Men either (the idea was funnier than the execution) until you get to the midpoint and they do something completely unexpected along these lines which actually made the movie better for me. (I am still laughing, just thinking about it!) I guess Psycho and Deep Blue Sea and Pulp Fiction are other movies where they've pulled that kind of trick... although Pulp Fiction was assembled thematically versus in sequence.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I would also have considered it an homage to To Live and Die in LA for those that can recall that movie.

Yes! This is what TD is reminding me of, I couldn't remember that movie.

I do think Vince Vaughan is filling out the role now, I feel better about the casting. Antigone, she is still my favorite. I know she wanted to bitch slap the mayor's son repeatedly (I would have enjoyed that too).

I think one thing that tipped people off is that they had shown clips with Farrell in them of scenes that hadn't yet aired... so unless those had been flashbacks or they shot a bunch of footage that they didn't plan to use, it seemed that it wasn't a permanent removal.

But yeah, we'd be getting into GRRM territory at that point. I wasn't really fond of the movie Mystery Men either (the idea was funnier than the execution) until you get to the midpoint and they do something completely unexpected along these lines which actually made the movie better for me. (I am still laughing, just thinking about it!) I guess Psycho and Deep Blue Sea and Pulp Fiction are other movies where they've pulled that kind of trick... although Pulp Fiction was assembled thematically versus in sequence.

I read someone asking if Taylor Kitsch had greyscale.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, that whole last ten minutes there....

Also, I think there were two Breaking Bad alumni there... edit: Confirmed

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9