• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

True Detective

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm so sick of true detective taking shit (deep philosophical shit that people say during an existential crisis) that people like me say on a regular basis and then apotheosize it into arch-plots that revolve around sinister evil and some twist ish...

Any mofo who reads on a regular speaks like any character from true detective on the regular and its making us seem like freaks.

Piece of **** writers are villainizing and demontyping my peepz.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder whether they'll be chasing another serial killer in this season. I wouldn't mind that.

The rapist is still at large and now there is this murder of the city official. It's going to be a mix of those too. It can't be the same guy who did both.

I was a little unclear as well, but it was the reporter who broke the story on whatever Vince has going on with all the developments.

Oh yeah. Thanks.

I like the urban setting of this season. Country side america is too hard for me to swallow for too long.

Also accents.

Edit - is that ashram preacher an infp? Looks like it.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Ok, there are my opinions after 1 episode.

I tried not to compare with the first season because it’s different story, but as the form is similar, it’s kind of hard…

For now the atmosphere is less heavy/dense (?) than in the first season. First succeed to scare me at least two times (the scene where they ask directions from murderer in episode 7 was epic)and I’m rarely scared during watching tv series. The other thing is that I miss Rusty, I’m not sure whether any character from 2 season has potential to be same interesting. And I miss humour, it seems very serious.

On the other hand, I like that they changed many things. I preferred country side, but the city is building new atmosphere and I think it’s a god thing. Instead of cup partners, we have now four different characters. They were introduced in rush and it was a bit chaotic, we know a lot about them as for one episode, I hope many mysteries were saved for the future. I think more characters may be a promise of more comlex plot. I also liked the intro (and the mysteries were promised there) and some scenes were made very well like the scene where Ray Velcoro talked with Frank.

I’m not sure how much I like it right now, but it is well made and keeps in suspense.
Waiting to see what will happen next.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I wonder whether they'll be chasing another serial killer in this season. I wouldn't mind that.

I’m not sure if there will be one murderer, I think there will be more about mobs this time.

The rapist is still at large and now there is this murder of the city official. It's going to be a mix of those too. It can't be the same guy who did both.
Are we sure the rapist is still alive? Have I missed something?

Edit - is that ashram preacher an infp? Looks like it.
Probably INFP or ENFP

Does anybody think too that for now Frank Semyon seems to be the most normal person? :laugh:

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ collin's character tells his lawyer they never caught the guy :).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anybody think too that for now Frank Semyon seems to be the most normal person? :laugh:

Aside from Being married to Lady Macbeth? I feel like she's the driving force there.... run frank, run!

Kas

Fabula rasa
^ collin's character tells his lawyer they never caught the guy :).

Oh, that pause and scared gaze, while they talked, might been because he thought that the guy is still alive somewhere. But it wouldn’t be very unlikely that he killed the rapist… and it would make him more dependent on the mob.
So I thought it was something like Why are you asking me? I killed the guy, got rid of his corpse and now I’m working for the mob. “They never cought him”. Probably I watch too much television :laugh:

Aside from Being married to Lady Macbeth? I feel like she's the driving force there.... run frank, run!
Yes, she is baaad and probably smart too.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Now I really think this.

It took the entire scene (and I read that he would be in the series earlier) to figure out who that psychiatrist was.

I'm going to read the reddit thing because the ending I was like.... whaaat?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha, yeah, the psychiatrist.... I was like, "WTF is THAT?" Because he looked very familiar. Found out later. Ha!

And... interesting ending.

I still feel like Vaughn was miscast. he's pedaling as fast as he can, but he's struggling in the part (he did okay with the opening monologue at least). I think he'd do better playing someone who is more animated versus an internalized slow fuse. The others seem to be sunk pretty deep into their characters and are believable to me.

Great dialogue between Bezzerides and Velcoro in the car... one of the best moments of the episode.

Isn't Woodrugh's relationship with his mom rather... odd? Hmmmm. And I think we might have found out something interesting about him as well.

I'm enjoying the series so far, but I think people have to start taking it on its own terms. it's a bit more straight-forward (aside from a spaghetti plate full of plot strands) than the first season, but that makes sense based on the subject matter. I would like to see more diversity throughout the series, if it continues with more seasons, so that's fine with me.

One of my favorite lines:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I still feel like Vaughn was miscast. he's pedaling as fast as he can, but he's struggling in the part (he did okay with the opening monologue at least). I think he'd do better playing someone who is more animated versus an internalized slow fuse. The others seem to be sunk pretty deep into their characters and are believable to me.

I agree. This is probably why I think he's the most normal one. I did like when he was crushing the glasses in the car. But he doesn't wear the part well.

Great dialogue between Bezzerides and Velcoro in the car... one of the best moments of the episode.

And she really could pull off the vaping.

Isn't Woodrugh's relationship with his mom rather... odd? Hmmmm. And I think we might have found out something interesting about him as well.

Hmm...yes. I somewhat agree with some things I've read, especially after this scene. And how many times did he tell his girlfriend - this isn't me, this isn't me? Yeah. This isn't you.

And the mayor! If he didn't stop fondling those two metal cups......

I'm enjoying the series so far, but I think people have to start taking it on its own terms. it's a bit more straight-forward (aside from a spaghetti plate full of plot strands) than the first season, but that makes sense based on the subject matter. I would like to see more diversity throughout the series, if it continues with more seasons, so that's fine with me.

I do like it. It's very noir. That sounds cliche but it seems to fit.

And I like Antigone. That may not be the case at the end. I loved Rust and didn't see Marty as being "smart", although he very much was.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so now we have a show where it seems clear The Powers That Be don't really want this crime to be solved, and they put together a sham alliance with three cops without a lot of power or ability to get the crime solved, so it will just disappear. So far only the criminal seemingly wants to solve this crime (because he's out millions of dollars and also out of the game if he can't deal himself back in) and is acquiring the most information.

The show is reminding me (contextually) a lot of "Chinatown."

Some of the music has been released. I snagged "Least Favorite Life" and "Nevermind" over the weekend.

And she really could pull off the vaping.

Pretty funny bit. I just really liked their car banter. The series tends to have decent car banter.

Hmm...yes. I somewhat agree with some things I've read, especially after this scene. And how many times did he tell his girlfriend - this isn't me, this isn't me? Yeah. This isn't you.

Some of the reviewers seem to not have picked up on his likely predilictions here.

At least if that's what he's dealing with, he doesn't come off as as much an asshat as he does if he's just being a crappy boyfriend.

It looks like his childhood had lots of crazy Bates-esque stuff in it, + whatever happened overseas that left him with those burns wasn't a great formative experience.

And the mayor! If he didn't stop fondling those two metal cups......

LOL! And what's he drinking anyway?

I do like it. It's very noir. That sounds cliche but it seems to fit.

And I like Antigone. That may not be the case at the end. I loved Rust and didn't see Marty as being "smart", although he very much was.

I like the diversity of characters we've seen. Rust is probably the most "brilliant" out of both seasons in terms of just thinking way above the norm and being able to handle abstractions, but there are various types of smarts. Marty was less book-smart but still smart at his job. None of them are "dumb" although Velcaro is in full melt-down and will crash/burn if he hasn't already.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Who wrote this episode? G R R Martin?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whose review did you steal that line from?
(Oh wait... most of them.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I keep coming back to this thread, and then have to immediately navigate away because spoilers :(

*temporarily unsubscribes pending catch-up viewing*

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm scared to browse through this thread in the event that a spoiler (for season 2) is waiting for me. Are people discussing Season 2 in here?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm scared to browse through this thread in the event that a spoiler (for season 2) is waiting for me. Are people discussing Season 2 in here?

Yes.

Although not in great detail yet... mostly scattered details, some spoiler text, and overall perceptions.

Duffy

"Well...I don't know anything about that, but sometimes a good beating provokes good personal growth."

Maybe they should've just focused on Collin Farrell and Rachel Mcadams characters. I agree with what has been said about Vince Vaughn. I find myself fighting the urge to giggle when his character is on screen. Especially when he talks for prolong periods of time, he has this weird quirk with his speech, where he'll pause just slightly. Is it suppose to be an accent or a quirk?