User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Thread: True Detective

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Hmm another one to put on the list.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Ginkgo

Radical show. So much, in fact, that I would almost prefer if they left it a single season without the risk of botching the whole thing.

I don't usually like Matthew Mcconaughey, but he slipped into his role as Rust so well that I forgot it was him.

If they make a second season, they should focus on a new setting and different characters.

I like that Rust is idiosyncratic but not in the way that the script incessantly needs to prove how "special" he is in contrast with the rest of the cast. Shows like Sherlock make every effort possible to piggyback on that sort of trope but it typically comes off as somewhat of a fabrication. Maybe the difference is in the fact that Rust really does not give a shit.

The way they fused two timelines together into a comprehensive conclusion impressed me. It felt seamless.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I like that Rust is idiosyncratic but not in the way that the script incessantly needs to prove how "special" he is in contrast with the rest of the cast. Shows like Sherlock make every effort possible to piggyback on that sort of trope but it typically comes off as somewhat of a fabrication. Maybe the difference is in the fact that Rust really does not give a shit.
    Yeah, that might be what made it seem real. He might "soften" a little as he gets older (or, more accurately, the rough edges sand down a little), but really, he remains unflustered and unapologetic even in the current timeline. In the old timeline, even when things fall apart, he never really tries to bargain, his stark acceptance of the universe includes the reality that he's probably going to be alone and misunderstood and that it's okay... the idea of shifting just to win acceptance never really is ever a consideration for him, despite his acute awareness of how some people do that. he's even past the initial kneejerk responses most iconoclasts can have if they feel pressure on them to change; he's consciously embraced it.

It wasn't just a "type of character" I was watching, he felt like a real person to me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Season 2 update:

After the first season starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson debuted to praise from the critics and amassed an impressive following, fans are dying to know how the next season of the show is shaping up. Other than debunking those Jessica Chastain casting theories, we haven't had too much to go on when it comes to Season 2 clues, until now.

Writer/producer Nic Pizzolatto stopped by "To the Best of Our Knowledge" podcast from Wisconsin Public Radio to discuss what's next for his massively successful crime venture and he dropped some major hints for fans of the show to chew on before the Season 2 premiere. For those who aren't familiar with Pizzolatto's brainchild, the first season of "True Detective" took place in the Louisiana bayou and centered on cult-like killings of the young women and children who lived there. Pizzolato warns to expect even more bad guys when the show returns but they'll be committing their gruesome crimes in a very different setting.

“Right now, we’re working with three leads. It takes place in California. Not Los Angeles, but some of the lesser known venues of California and we’re going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambience of the place, much like we did with season one," Pizzolatto said.

Season 2 will reportedly focus on the "secret occult history of the United States transportation system," featuring female leads solving the case this time around. While we'll certainly miss Marty and Rust, Pizzolato says the things he has in store for the show's upcoming season should get fans pretty excited. "The characters are all new, but I am deeply in love with all of them," he said. "We have the entire season broken out, and I have a couple of scripts, and we’ll probably start casting within the coming month."
    'True Detective' Creator Spills Major Season 2 Secrets

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/television...050000922.html

The Television Critics Association nominations have been announced.

HBO's critically-lauded True Detective tops the nominees with four, including individual achievement in drama for Matthew McConaughey, outstanding new program, outstanding achievement in movies/miniseries and specials, and program of the year.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The buzz on the street now is that McConaughey might pull in an Emmy this year too.

Will watch at least episode #6 tonight. Figured out how easy it was to stream down on my laptop and then HDMI it to the 55" TV. No longer have to watch it on the little screen!
    It's kind of strange to me that actors so desperately want emmys and oscars, as one or all of these awards seem kind of rigged more as popularity contests rather than sheer talent. Maybe the emmys aren't as bad.

McConaughey has produced some bad movies, IMO, Surfer Dude, for one. But all in all, I've always been impressed with him. Starting with Dazed and Confused. Should have gotten an award for that.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Awesome show. Season 2
    and female lead? Female duo will be better
    I can't wait to see it.

Alignment: Neutral - Neutral

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    It's kind of strange to me that actors so desperately want emmys and oscars, as one or all of these awards seem kind of rigged more as popularity contests rather than sheer talent. Maybe the emmys aren't as bad.
    I have mixed feelings about these kinds of awards. Talent does seem to factor in, but a lot of it is also about the advertising campaign and hitting the right people for their votes at the right time, etc.

Which means sometimes it seems like the winners did deserve the award... but there have been times when another nominee seems even more worthy to win but does not... and on occasion a winner will generate a WTF response and some worthy contenders don't even get into the nominee list.

McConaughey has produced some bad movies, IMO, Surfer Dude, for one. But all in all, I've always been impressed with him. Starting with Dazed and Confused. Should have gotten an award for that.
    I was not a fan of McConaughey for a long time, he just didn't have any cajones... i felt like he was walking through roles generated for him by his attractiveness to some people.

Then I saw him in Killer Joe a few years back, and I couldn't even believe that was him. He was finally acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinn View Post
    Awesome show. Season 2
    and female lead? Female duo will be better
    I can't wait to see it.
    I'm so curious about who will be cast.
    But yeah, exciting!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I was not a fan of McConaughey for a long time, he just didn't have any cajones... i felt like he was walking through roles generated for him by his attractiveness to some people.

Then I saw him in Killer Joe a few years back, and I couldn't even believe that was him. He was finally acting.
    Ha, I guess in a way he's kind of like Sean Penn, starting out as Spicolli. But revisiting some of the silly movies after watching something like A Time to Kill, I have a greater appreciation for those roles.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.