User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Thread: True Detective

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    X-Files did manage to have some decent mythology arcs, and there were lots of great "stand alone" episodes, although that's another case where a decent show just kind of ran out of steam vs wrapping itself up productively.

This was different than BB, which didn't really do "stand-alones" but where everything was part of one big storyline.
    I think this is part of a challenge many TV series face. They have a plan for a season or two, they execute really well and become a big hit, and then the writers/producers are stuck with the conundrum of having to stretch out the series indefinitely. It's only when then screw up (or just plain run out of ideas) and ratings fall that they get to write a "finale". I speculate this is why so many series seem to really struggle with their wrap ups.

That was part of the brilliance of BB IMO, the story arc seemed well though out from beginning to end, and the end came regardless of how high the ratings were at the time. There were no filler seasons designed primarily to stretch it out while the going was good.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    I think this is part of a challenge many TV series face. They have a plan for a season or two, they execute really well and become a big hit, and then the writers/producers are stuck with the conundrum of having to stretch out the series indefinitely. It's only when then screw up (or just plain run out of ideas) and ratings fall that they get to write a "finale". I speculate this is why so many series seem to really struggle with their wrap ups.
    Yeah, that makes sense to me, and it's not just confined to television -- for example, comic books are stuck with characters that, if popular, continue to live for decades (superman and batman are 75+ years old? X-Men is 50 or so?) and thus end up being recycled and rewritten so often that they are no longer the same characters.

I admire series that can kind of "call it earlier" and bring a graceful and sensible end to things, but the tie-in with money doesn't help, as the studios don't want to lose a cash cow.

That was part of the brilliance of BB IMO, the story arc seemed well though out from beginning to end, and the end came regardless of how high the ratings were at the time. There were no filler seasons designed primarily to stretch it out while the going was good.
    I'm glad the studio was willing to support the artist, in this case. I know they scripted Season #2 pretty darn tightly (from Gilligan's comments), but they had a more organic approach in the last seasons. Gus, for example, was never supposed to be the "Big Bad" but the actor was just so darn good and his character a favorite that they went with him. (And as far as that goes, Jesse wasn't supposed to make it through Season #1.)

I felt like "Six Feet Under," while meandering a bit in the middle had a pretty clear idea of the end of the series -- who lived, who died, who was with who, I'm pretty sure that last 15 minutes was in their heads early on.

"Lost" was a little worse, I think they could have ditched a season's worth of episodes in there to make the series tighter, but things got strung out.

The "mini-series" format is actually pretty cool. It's worked really well for AHS and has jumpstarted the idea of a true "ensemble cast" who will tell different stories and portray different characters. it also allows an idea to just run its course before being closed out, and the writers/producers/actors don't get bored because they can change tone and setting and approach from season to season.

it might actually bring life into the TV format, since the studio is really only committing to one season. And they can add another if it works out. And the writers can still tell an entire story.

What I see sometimes is writers trying to "guess" how much time they have to tell their story, and either adding filler to pad it while not committing to too much, or suddenly rushing to wrap things up when they realize they're out of time.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What I see sometimes is writers trying to "guess" how much time they have to tell their story, and either adding filler to pad it while not committing to too much, or suddenly rushing to wrap things up when they realize they're out of time.
    It seems based on recent experience now that the short-series model (by that I mean 10-14 episode seasons) has been established, is that most series seem to be able to last 6-8 years if they are good.

Maybe writers will learn to have a good overall story line and wrap up planned for about that length, with some flexibility for the middle seasons based on what seems the most popular aspects/character in their shows.

Series like AHS and True Detective don't really have to worry about wrap ups, but I think the lack of continuity hurts them a bit too. I'm not sure viewers can ever really get into a series that basically re-boots every season.

The Wire used a hybrid approach of an ongoing plot line co-starring with a different theme each season (so some continuing characters, some ensemble cast for the season characters), and that series is one of my all time favorites too. It also had a very satisfying ending IMO.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I was so into this show, I crapped my pants twice.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Just couldn't wait 'til the end to deuce, or what?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Just couldn't wait 'til the end to deuce, or what?
    Yeah, and a combination of me getting really excited at the sheer existence of such an awe inspiring original piece of Television gold. I usually crap my pants when I get that excited.

By the time I started watching another most excellent series, Justified, I'd learned to wear adult diapers.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I really enjoyed this show and thought it was very good. However, I'm kind of puzzled at all the OMG BEST SHOW EVERZ it's getting.
    It's the best show ever. But so is The Wire, Justified, The Americans, and about a dozen others.

I don't know if this is what you're referring to, but I remember the first time I started watching The Wire (crapped my pants of course) but I was like "Holy crap, nothing like this has ever been done (true) and it's the best ever. I really thought that. But have learned that it's a common phenomenon that's basically comparable to the "honeymoon phase" of a particular show. A phenomenon I've learned to recognize.

It's still up there in my mind as a legendary show, and likewise, True Detective was something that had never been done before. For a detective show (god how many are there?), that kind of non-linear storytelling, the incredible character depth, brilliant and believable dialogue, AND the lack of CRAZY AND ZANY TWISTS, (and some other points I'm not remembering) all combine for a show that was really unique.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

At this rate, I need to buy stock in pants manufacturers.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I agree with SmileyMan.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram