First 4567816 Last

Thread: True Detective

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, I think it should definitely win the Best Miniseries Emmy.
    AHS Coven wasn't bad, but it was still a bracket behind on this one.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I really enjoyed this show and thought it was very good. However, I'm kind of puzzled at all the OMG BEST SHOW EVERZ it's getting. I don't see it on the top rung of TV dramas along with Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, etc. It's just a very good show. It's too flawed to be great.

I really enjoyed eps 1-7, but for me the finale was a massive letdown. After episode 7, I was thinking that there was too much unresolved to have only one hour left, and I was right. There were so many hints dropped, plots started, and questions asked that just never had any resolution. I get Poindexter's and Ivy's point that those things aren't the point of the show, but I don't agree. It's one thing for a show to be endlessly debated online with people going down rabbit holes and creating meaning and narrative out of thin air that don't wind up being a part of the show, creating disappointment. That's not fair - but I don't think that's what this is. The creators of TD dug those rabbit holes, and then never went down them. To me, that's an entirely different thing.

Further explanation:

You can say that the show is about darkness and light, good and evil. But that's subtext. The text is the detective story. And sloppy plotting in the text lessens the impact of the subtext. I've read a bit about the creator, Nic Pizzolatto. He has taken great pains to point out that he is not a fan of Law & Order and police procedurals like it. He says (with no lack of self-satisfaction) he's trying to tell a more philosophical story. But you have to serve the text better than this if you want that to shine through. I feel like McConaughey and Harrelson were so transcendently good and the photography so beautiful and perfect that they covered up a lot of the narrative sins of the show. I mean, I'll say it again - I really liked this show. But I feel like the last episode betrayed expectations, and not expectations crazy fans cooked up; expectations the show explicitly set. I fear that without the kismet of such great performances, season 2 might show a lot more of the cracks.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm with EffEmDoubleyou.

"We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, I don't think the finale was as strong as some of the other episodes (and I still think BB's Ozymandias / Felina outrank these in terms of just being more carefully put together and more fulfilling).

Realistically, of course, some things are never resolved in police work; you can convict someone without ever understanding why they did what they did or their entire psychosis. And I think the show was honest in that a lot of police work is boring and monotonous. I've watched enough true crime stuff, that it's rather amazing how many "promising leads" never pan out, and a break comes through diligent effort sometimes made across a period of years where the detectives just did not give up. Perseverence and throwing enough stuff at the wall and something finally stuck resolved the case; sometimes there is no "glamorous" or even totally fulfilling resolution. But then again, this is one advantage a story has over real life: The facts can be massaged and slanted so that the resolution is emotionally fulfilling in a way real life isn't always.

And I do share the concern about how things could differ when the acting lineup changes. I think Harrelson and McConaughey made the show work overall. Second season is up for grabs.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Idiots.
    Well, someone's gonna walk away disappointed this year.

AHS actually is in the "miniseries" category. Would it have been that difficult?

HBO has thrown down the gauntlet, making the decision to enter “True Detective” into the Primetime Emmy drama series categories rather than the miniseries field. It’s a statement that HBO feels it has more than a fighting chance with the Matthew McConaughey-Woody Harrelson starrer in the top series category — even against such heatseekers as “Breaking Bad,” “Mad Men,” “Homeland” and its own “Game of Thrones” and “Boardwalk Empire” — as well as the lead drama actor race.

“True Detective” likely would have had an easy trot to victory at the Emmycast in August in the miniseries category. The series fits the objective definition of a miniseries in that it is designed to be reinvented with an entirely new cast, setting and premise each year.
    http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/true...s-1201146631/#

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Idiots.
    Well, someone's gonna walk away disappointed this year.

AHS actually is in the "miniseries" category. Would it have been that difficult?
    My guess is that HBO is taking this action to stake a claim for limited run series in the regular categories. I can see a thought process predicated on the fact that "Breaking Bad" is a prohibitive favorite in the drama series category. Given this fact, a loss by "True Detective" isn't egg on anyone's face, and it sacrifices a miniseries Emmy to further the goal of legitimizing limited run series in the main categories. It's an indication to me that we'll see much more of this kind of show in the future, and an admission that the miniseries category doesn't have the prestige of the main categories.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I can see a value to it in terms of future positioning, yes.

But wasn't True Detective already considered "legitimate" even as a limited run? I'm not sure people care as much about the categories in terms of determining legitimacy. Or perhaps that's me as part of the "audience" talking versus the executives and bean counters at HBO who are determining where to allocate financial resources.

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I really enjoyed this show and thought it was very good. However, I'm kind of puzzled at all the OMG BEST SHOW EVERZ it's getting. I don't see it on the top rung of TV dramas along with Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, etc. It's just a very good show. It's too flawed to be great.

I really enjoyed eps 1-7, but for me the finale was a massive letdown. After episode 7, I was thinking that there was too much unresolved to have only one hour left, and I was right. There were so many hints dropped, plots started, and questions asked that just never had any resolution. I get Poindexter's and Ivy's point that those things aren't the point of the show, but I don't agree. It's one thing for a show to be endlessly debated online with people going down rabbit holes and creating meaning and narrative out of thin air that don't wind up being a part of the show, creating disappointment. That's not fair - but I don't think that's what this is. The creators of TD dug those rabbit holes, and then never went down them. To me, that's an entirely different thing.

Further explanation:

You can say that the show is about darkness and light, good and evil. But that's subtext. The text is the detective story. And sloppy plotting in the text lessens the impact of the subtext. I've read a bit about the creator, Nic Pizzolatto. He has taken great pains to point out that he is not a fan of Law & Order and police procedurals like it. He says (with no lack of self-satisfaction) he's trying to tell a more philosophical story. But you have to serve the text better than this if you want that to shine through. I feel like McConaughey and Harrelson were so transcendently good and the photography so beautiful and perfect that they covered up a lot of the narrative sins of the show. I mean, I'll say it again - I really liked this show. But I feel like the last episode betrayed expectations, and not expectations crazy fans cooked up; expectations the show explicitly set. I fear that without the kismet of such great performances, season 2 might show a lot more of the cracks.

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I can see a value to it in terms of future positioning, yes.

But wasn't True Detective already considered "legitimate" even as a limited run? I'm not sure people care as much about the categories in terms of determining legitimacy. Or perhaps that's me as part of the "audience" talking versus the executives and bean counters at HBO who are determining where to allocate financial resources.
    I'm not sure if you can switch horses in midstream, but it would be nice for True D to win the mini-series this year, then they can switch to drama series for subsequent seasons.

The main motivation to play it like this is to wait for Breaking Bad to clear the board (which IMO should win everything - it was the best executed end to end series ever). However, True D was very intense at times, so I would like to see it win some accolades. Although season 1 of True D felt a bit "abbreviated/truncated" so I understand the criticism about the season from the overall story arc perspective.

Too early to tell about True Detective if it will make "iconic" series status. It all depends on subsequent seasons. It's off to a good start, but one could have said that about Dexter too.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    Too early to tell about True Detective if it will make "iconic" series status. It all depends on subsequent seasons. It's off to a good start, but one could have said that about Dexter too.
    Yeah, I've avoided Dexter spoilers in general, but my initial plans to maybe start watching the thing have been kind of negated by hearing in general that the series just kind of crapped out; I can't imagine more depressing news with TV shows than to know ahead of time that regardless of how good things are upfront, they just don't go anywhere in the end.

X-Files did manage to have some decent mythology arcs, and there were lots of great "stand alone" episodes, although that's another case where a decent show just kind of ran out of steam vs wrapping itself up productively.

This was different than BB, which didn't really do "stand-alones" but where everything was part of one big storyline.