User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Thread: True Detective

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The buzz on the street now is that McConaughey might pull in an Emmy this year too.
    Gonna happen. I only hope it is for a miniseries, not Drama series.
    Cranston deserves the award for his final season on Breaking Bad.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter Arachnid View Post
    Gonna happen. I only hope it is for a miniseries, not Drama series.
    Cranston deserves the award for his final season on Breaking Bad.
    Well, as far as the shows go, it looks like BB is listed under TV drama while True Detective is under miniseries. So it looks probable he's in the miniseries category.

The only sad part about that is that Harrelson really, really shone, it could be his best work ever; and it's a shame that his performance just happened to be overshadowed by MMc's.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I completely agree with your spoilered text, @Poindexter Arachnid. Completely, completely agree. It was fantastic. I do have some questions about the plot and was unsatisfied with some of that stuff, but it was an appropriate dissatisfaction, if that makes sense. It's really fucking refreshing to watch something that is more concerned with its philosophical underpinnings and characterization than it is with tying up every loose end plotwise.

I'm not sure I could say that it outshone Ozymandias exactly.. they're too different to be compared like that.

@Jennifer, I agree about Woody (huh huh). I was really not a fan of either guy before this. I thought they both brought something really special to their parts. I wish there was a way they could get a dual Emmy since neither performance would have been as bright without the other.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I wish there was a way they could get a dual Emmy since neither performance would have been as bright without the other.
    I felt the same way. Because it conflicted with Downton Abby (I know, I know but it's good too) I recoded TD. It was SO good. I got all caught up prior to Episode 6 I think. My husband watches Boardwalk Empire and he usually doesn't get into any of the other series but I talked him into this. We were like glued to the tv Sunday. HBO generally doesn't disappoint but they hit a home run with this series.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Done.

I started this evening with Episode 6 and ended up blowing the rest of the night starting the streaming and watching the last two episodes as well.

Definitely was worth the watch. And I agree with one reviewer who said it was less about the crime investigation and more about the toll it took on the two men doing the investigating. They both took a lot of serious damage emotionally and relationally along the way, and for me it was more compelling to see how that resolved than whether the crime was solved and/or both men survived the season. They both had some pretty dark journeys... and both were very human and in some ways difficult to like at times... yet I was still rooting for them and wanted to see them succeed.

I'm glad the show preserved a lot of that good stuff to the very end.

Also kind of cool seeing them in three different "eras" of their lives ... younger men, more middle-aged, and then a bit older and in the declining years. And seeing how they might have changed and whether that was good or bad.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes IndyGhost liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Oh, and about this plot point (big spoiler):

I'm also scanning Rust as an Enneagram One moralist type (rigid self-discipline, stringent moral judgment of himself and others), probably an SP variant, and probably an INFJ in a harsh Ni-Ti loop where he can just reinforce his intuitions with a hard-ass Thinking process. Note his Fe use is typically utilitarian, he uses it to achieve goals especially when interrogating or interviewing people, but he never really uses it to truly connect in a personal way until 2012 -- he actually asks Marty how he is and what he's been up to, and Marty says, "I don't think you've ever asked me that before." The 2012 Rust is a bit softer, older, more open, more accepting of his humanity and the humanity of others.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, and about this plot point (big spoiler):

I'm also scanning Rust as an Enneagram One moralist type (rigid self-discipline, stringent moral judgment of himself and others), probably an SP variant, and probably an INFJ in a harsh Ni-Ti loop where he can just reinforce his intuitions with a hard-ass Thinking process. Note his Fe use is typically utilitarian, he uses it to achieve goals especially when interrogating or interviewing people, but he never really uses it to truly connect in a personal way until 2012 -- he actually asks Marty how he is and what he's been up to, and Marty says, "I don't think you've ever asked me that before." The 2012 Rust is a bit softer, older, more open, more accepting of his humanity and the humanity of others.
    +1 to the spoiled.

As for Rust's personality type: I can see INFJ. The functions are certainly there (perhaps not in that order, however).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yes to both spoilers.

I'm not sure I would have been open to Rust as an INFJ until the finale but the whole picture of him certainly seems like it could be.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Initially, I thought he was an ISTP in a Ti-Ni Loop.
    Ni over Ne (i.e.: not INTP), inferior Fe perhaps.

Meh. Pick one.

Imma enjoy the video. Spoilers.