Thread: True Detective

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter Arachnid View Post
    The brilliance is it isn't about the case, and frankly the details of the case are ultimately irrelevant.
    This is about the "big picture" of the human condition ala the contents of a Cormac McCarthy novel.

The more you try to put the pieces of the puzzle together, the more you miss the point entirely.

Continuing to be impressed with this. Actively avoiding this thread to remain spoiler-free.
    Yeah, I read one review referring to it more as a big existential exploration rather than a "case/puzzle" kind of detective show. I think that makes sense from what I've seen, so I just need to adjust my expectations. I'm cool with that approach to the show, I just wasn't expecting it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, I read one review referring to it more as a big existential exploration rather than a "case/puzzle" kind of detective show. I think that makes sense from what I've seen, so I just need to adjust my expectations. I'm cool with that approach to the show, I just wasn't expecting it.
    Neither was I. It was a breath of fresh air.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Really loved the revival scene in Episode 3 -- it was pretty much cribbed from recent god vs existentialism forum discussions, I've just never heard anyone actually discuss it in a TV show and in a way that fits what's going on.

Harrelson's acting was pretty great, especially when he's talking to his wife and trying to open up and doesn't know how to.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

"Every time I think you hit the ceiling, you keep raising the bar. you're the michael jordan of being a son o' a bitch."

God, this show has some of the greatest lines and deliveries I've ever heard. I can't even remember them all.

Great tracking shot in Episode 4. What a bitch to choreograph and orchestrate.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

HBO GO crashed during the live stream last night. Interrupted my marathon.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...bo-go-20140310

I hope they bone up before Game of Thrones Season 4 starts.
    'Cause that's gonna be a clusterf*#k.

Riva

Watched it all and loved it.

They could have done more with the epilogue/news report

I wonder why they kept it so short.

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I wonder why they kept it so short.
    I'm guessing the A-listers (Harrelson and Mcconaughey) probably only agreed to a very limited engagement.

I guess we might see if next season (with a new, probably more obscure cast) stretches out a bit to 10 or 12 episodes.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, there have been a number of movie actors who have branched into TV where more seems to be happening lately, artistically...

... but the issue is that most don't want to be tied down to a multi-season shooting schedule, they want to be available for other projects (movie, TV, whatever). It's hard being locked into multiple seasons when you want to do something different. regardless of what type of focus you have as an actor; Dean Norris who played Hank wanted to leave the show before the last season, to be on a different show, but unfortunately they needed him as part of the unfolding plot.

Not sure what the pay scale is for TV either. Some of these actors can command a lot more from a box-office single release than they would receive from TV shows, but TV has a more intimate feel and has also upped its game in the last 5-10 years or so.

Pizzolatto said he's been writing Season 2 already and is excited about it, but he's not sure how HBO will respond and is just writing because he loves what he's writing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4934094.html

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

The season finale was very polarizing.
    Frankly, I'm glad it was more Cormac McCarthy and less J.J. Abrams.

I didn't think anything would ever top the genius of Breaking Bad's Ozymandias. I was wrong.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The buzz on the street now is that McConaughey might pull in an Emmy this year too.

Will watch at least episode #6 tonight. Figured out how easy it was to stream down on my laptop and then HDMI it to the 55" TV. No longer have to watch it on the little screen!