• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

True Detective

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gonna happen. I only hope it is for a miniseries, not Drama series.
Cranston deserves the award for his final season on Breaking Bad.

Well, as far as the shows go, it looks like BB is listed under TV drama while True Detective is under miniseries. So it looks probable he's in the miniseries category.

The only sad part about that is that Harrelson really, really shone, it could be his best work ever; and it's a shame that his performance just happened to be overshadowed by MMc's.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I completely agree with your spoilered text, [MENTION=12864]Poindexter Arachnid[/MENTION]. Completely, completely agree. It was fantastic. I do have some questions about the plot and was unsatisfied with some of that stuff, but it was an appropriate dissatisfaction, if that makes sense. It's really fucking refreshing to watch something that is more concerned with its philosophical underpinnings and characterization than it is with tying up every loose end plotwise.

I'm not sure I could say that it outshone Ozymandias exactly.. they're too different to be compared like that.

[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], I agree about Woody (huh huh). I was really not a fan of either guy before this. I thought they both brought something really special to their parts. I wish there was a way they could get a dual Emmy since neither performance would have been as bright without the other.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I wish there was a way they could get a dual Emmy since neither performance would have been as bright without the other.

I felt the same way. Because it conflicted with Downton Abby (I know, I know but it's good too) I recoded TD. It was SO good. I got all caught up prior to Episode 6 I think. My husband watches Boardwalk Empire and he usually doesn't get into any of the other series but I talked him into this. We were like glued to the tv Sunday. HBO generally doesn't disappoint but they hit a home run with this series.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Done.

I started this evening with Episode 6 and ended up blowing the rest of the night starting the streaming and watching the last two episodes as well.

Definitely was worth the watch. And I agree with one reviewer who said it was less about the crime investigation and more about the toll it took on the two men doing the investigating. They both took a lot of serious damage emotionally and relationally along the way, and for me it was more compelling to see how that resolved than whether the crime was solved and/or both men survived the season. They both had some pretty dark journeys... and both were very human and in some ways difficult to like at times... yet I was still rooting for them and wanted to see them succeed.

I'm glad the show preserved a lot of that good stuff to the very end.

Also kind of cool seeing them in three different "eras" of their lives ... younger men, more middle-aged, and then a bit older and in the declining years. And seeing how they might have changed and whether that was good or bad.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, and about this plot point (big spoiler):

I'm also scanning Rust as an Enneagram One moralist type (rigid self-discipline, stringent moral judgment of himself and others), probably an SP variant, and probably an INFJ in a harsh Ni-Ti loop where he can just reinforce his intuitions with a hard-ass Thinking process. Note his Fe use is typically utilitarian, he uses it to achieve goals especially when interrogating or interviewing people, but he never really uses it to truly connect in a personal way until 2012 -- he actually asks Marty how he is and what he's been up to, and Marty says, "I don't think you've ever asked me that before." The 2012 Rust is a bit softer, older, more open, more accepting of his humanity and the humanity of others.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Oh, and about this plot point (big spoiler):

I'm also scanning Rust as an Enneagram One moralist type (rigid self-discipline, stringent moral judgment of himself and others), probably an SP variant, and probably an INFJ in a harsh Ni-Ti loop where he can just reinforce his intuitions with a hard-ass Thinking process. Note his Fe use is typically utilitarian, he uses it to achieve goals especially when interrogating or interviewing people, but he never really uses it to truly connect in a personal way until 2012 -- he actually asks Marty how he is and what he's been up to, and Marty says, "I don't think you've ever asked me that before." The 2012 Rust is a bit softer, older, more open, more accepting of his humanity and the humanity of others.

+1 to the spoiled.

As for Rust's personality type: I can see INFJ. The functions are certainly there (perhaps not in that order, however).

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes to both spoilers.

I'm not sure I would have been open to Rust as an INFJ until the finale but the whole picture of him certainly seems like it could be.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Initially, I thought he was an ISTP in a Ti-Ni Loop.
Ni over Ne (i.e.: not INTP), inferior Fe perhaps.

Meh. Pick one.

Imma enjoy the video. Spoilers.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I think it should definitely win the Best Miniseries Emmy.
AHS Coven wasn't bad, but it was still a bracket behind on this one.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I really enjoyed this show and thought it was very good. However, I'm kind of puzzled at all the OMG BEST SHOW EVERZ it's getting. I don't see it on the top rung of TV dramas along with Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, etc. It's just a very good show. It's too flawed to be great.

I really enjoyed eps 1-7, but for me the finale was a massive letdown. After episode 7, I was thinking that there was too much unresolved to have only one hour left, and I was right. There were so many hints dropped, plots started, and questions asked that just never had any resolution. I get Poindexter's and Ivy's point that those things aren't the point of the show, but I don't agree. It's one thing for a show to be endlessly debated online with people going down rabbit holes and creating meaning and narrative out of thin air that don't wind up being a part of the show, creating disappointment. That's not fair - but I don't think that's what this is. The creators of TD dug those rabbit holes, and then never went down them. To me, that's an entirely different thing.

Further explanation:

You can say that the show is about darkness and light, good and evil. But that's subtext. The text is the detective story. And sloppy plotting in the text lessens the impact of the subtext. I've read a bit about the creator, Nic Pizzolatto. He has taken great pains to point out that he is not a fan of Law & Order and police procedurals like it. He says (with no lack of self-satisfaction) he's trying to tell a more philosophical story. But you have to serve the text better than this if you want that to shine through. I feel like McConaughey and Harrelson were so transcendently good and the photography so beautiful and perfect that they covered up a lot of the narrative sins of the show. I mean, I'll say it again - I really liked this show. But I feel like the last episode betrayed expectations, and not expectations crazy fans cooked up; expectations the show explicitly set. I fear that without the kismet of such great performances, season 2 might show a lot more of the cracks.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm with EffEmDoubleyou.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I don't think the finale was as strong as some of the other episodes (and I still think BB's Ozymandias / Felina outrank these in terms of just being more carefully put together and more fulfilling).

Realistically, of course, some things are never resolved in police work; you can convict someone without ever understanding why they did what they did or their entire psychosis. And I think the show was honest in that a lot of police work is boring and monotonous. I've watched enough true crime stuff, that it's rather amazing how many "promising leads" never pan out, and a break comes through diligent effort sometimes made across a period of years where the detectives just did not give up. Perseverence and throwing enough stuff at the wall and something finally stuck resolved the case; sometimes there is no "glamorous" or even totally fulfilling resolution. But then again, this is one advantage a story has over real life: The facts can be massaged and slanted so that the resolution is emotionally fulfilling in a way real life isn't always.

And I do share the concern about how things could differ when the acting lineup changes. I think Harrelson and McConaughey made the show work overall. Second season is up for grabs.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Idiots.
Well, someone's gonna walk away disappointed this year.

AHS actually is in the "miniseries" category. Would it have been that difficult?

HBO has thrown down the gauntlet, making the decision to enter “True Detective” into the Primetime Emmy drama series categories rather than the miniseries field. It’s a statement that HBO feels it has more than a fighting chance with the Matthew McConaughey-Woody Harrelson starrer in the top series category — even against such heatseekers as “Breaking Bad,” “Mad Men,” “Homeland” and its own “Game of Thrones” and “Boardwalk Empire” — as well as the lead drama actor race.

“True Detective” likely would have had an easy trot to victory at the Emmycast in August in the miniseries category. The series fits the objective definition of a miniseries in that it is designed to be reinvented with an entirely new cast, setting and premise each year.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/tru...-series-not-miniseries-for-emmys-1201146631/#

MBTI Type
INTJ
Idiots.
Well, someone's gonna walk away disappointed this year.

AHS actually is in the "miniseries" category. Would it have been that difficult?

My guess is that HBO is taking this action to stake a claim for limited run series in the regular categories. I can see a thought process predicated on the fact that "Breaking Bad" is a prohibitive favorite in the drama series category. Given this fact, a loss by "True Detective" isn't egg on anyone's face, and it sacrifices a miniseries Emmy to further the goal of legitimizing limited run series in the main categories. It's an indication to me that we'll see much more of this kind of show in the future, and an admission that the miniseries category doesn't have the prestige of the main categories.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see a value to it in terms of future positioning, yes.

But wasn't True Detective already considered "legitimate" even as a limited run? I'm not sure people care as much about the categories in terms of determining legitimacy. Or perhaps that's me as part of the "audience" talking versus the executives and bean counters at HBO who are determining where to allocate financial resources.

F

FigerPuppet

I really enjoyed this show and thought it was very good. However, I'm kind of puzzled at all the OMG BEST SHOW EVERZ it's getting. I don't see it on the top rung of TV dramas along with Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, etc. It's just a very good show. It's too flawed to be great.

I really enjoyed eps 1-7, but for me the finale was a massive letdown. After episode 7, I was thinking that there was too much unresolved to have only one hour left, and I was right. There were so many hints dropped, plots started, and questions asked that just never had any resolution. I get Poindexter's and Ivy's point that those things aren't the point of the show, but I don't agree. It's one thing for a show to be endlessly debated online with people going down rabbit holes and creating meaning and narrative out of thin air that don't wind up being a part of the show, creating disappointment. That's not fair - but I don't think that's what this is. The creators of TD dug those rabbit holes, and then never went down them. To me, that's an entirely different thing.

Further explanation:

You can say that the show is about darkness and light, good and evil. But that's subtext. The text is the detective story. And sloppy plotting in the text lessens the impact of the subtext. I've read a bit about the creator, Nic Pizzolatto. He has taken great pains to point out that he is not a fan of Law & Order and police procedurals like it. He says (with no lack of self-satisfaction) he's trying to tell a more philosophical story. But you have to serve the text better than this if you want that to shine through. I feel like McConaughey and Harrelson were so transcendently good and the photography so beautiful and perfect that they covered up a lot of the narrative sins of the show. I mean, I'll say it again - I really liked this show. But I feel like the last episode betrayed expectations, and not expectations crazy fans cooked up; expectations the show explicitly set. I fear that without the kismet of such great performances, season 2 might show a lot more of the cracks.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I can see a value to it in terms of future positioning, yes.

But wasn't True Detective already considered "legitimate" even as a limited run? I'm not sure people care as much about the categories in terms of determining legitimacy. Or perhaps that's me as part of the "audience" talking versus the executives and bean counters at HBO who are determining where to allocate financial resources.
I'm not sure if you can switch horses in midstream, but it would be nice for True D to win the mini-series this year, then they can switch to drama series for subsequent seasons.

The main motivation to play it like this is to wait for Breaking Bad to clear the board (which IMO should win everything - it was the best executed end to end series ever). However, True D was very intense at times, so I would like to see it win some accolades. Although season 1 of True D felt a bit "abbreviated/truncated" so I understand the criticism about the season from the overall story arc perspective.

Too early to tell about True Detective if it will make "iconic" series status. It all depends on subsequent seasons. It's off to a good start, but one could have said that about Dexter too.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too early to tell about True Detective if it will make "iconic" series status. It all depends on subsequent seasons. It's off to a good start, but one could have said that about Dexter too.

Yeah, I've avoided Dexter spoilers in general, but my initial plans to maybe start watching the thing have been kind of negated by hearing in general that the series just kind of crapped out; I can't imagine more depressing news with TV shows than to know ahead of time that regardless of how good things are upfront, they just don't go anywhere in the end.

X-Files did manage to have some decent mythology arcs, and there were lots of great "stand alone" episodes, although that's another case where a decent show just kind of ran out of steam vs wrapping itself up productively.

This was different than BB, which didn't really do "stand-alones" but where everything was part of one big storyline.