First 1234513 Last

Thread: True Detective

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Trying to only skim the thread in case of spoilers...

I moved last weekend and so it took time to get settled in the new place and get my Internet/etc working right; but I'll be going back to the show this week after seeing the pilot in Feb. I thought the acting was great, but still waiting for something to happen. The comments here suggest something will, so I'll keep plugging away.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Rasofy, did you really watch the second episode? Because there's totally sex in that one. And suspense? Are we watching the same show?
    Ohh, now that I thought about it, I didn't get to watch the whole 2nd episode because the audio wasn't synchronized. The sex scene was fairly good, now that I watched it. Which makes the 'no sex' part unfair, in retrospect. The 'lack of suspense' part stands because there's not a significant sense of urgency (just lots of conjecturing from the annoying intuitive, which inevitably pisses off the plain sensor{I bet this is gonna get old quickly}), and nobody important to the show is in risk of life.

I'm usually not that critical when I don't like a show, but this one seems so hyped (the first person I heard talking about it said Breaking Bad was subpar in comparison) that I felt like balancing things.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

If you can make it to episode 4, you won't be disappointed. If you keep watching after that, you'll eventually probably want to re-watch the early episodes. They are layered with meaning and symbols and foreshadowing and all manner of good stuff that can evade your radar if you don't know what to look for.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'll give it a shot someday.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Oh yeah. I talked my husband into watching it with me and we watched the first episodes together over the weekend. Definitely a lot more going on than I picked up on at first which isn't surprising considering I had them on while I worked the first time I watched them. It's not a show that lends itself to multitasking.
    The 7th episode was intense. I still don't have any idea how it's going to end.

I started slowly with it. In fact, after watching the first episode, I waited a few weeks to watch any more because I was more interested in House of Cards at the time. With the way the intensity of the show has built up over time, I just want Sunday to get here. LOL

"We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't know but
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Ordered HBO several days ago; boning up for the Game of Thrones 4th season.
    Watching True Detective On Demand right now.

Holy shit. This is one of the best TV shows ever made. God Bless the Home Box Office Network.

McConaughey is utterly fantastic as Christian Bale. It's also strange NOT seeing Harrelson as an eccentric/conman/lunatic/psycho/scumbag for once. He should take more dramatic roles in the future. He actually pulls it off here.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Watched episode #2 last night. Aside from being depressed over how my body will never look like Harrelson's mistress (bwa ha ha), I think it's just a pretty high-quality show.

But I don't know whether I'm just tired or whether my attention span is off or something, with a 58-minute episode and the methodical pace it's feeling a lot like "the mega-best TV series I have trouble watching," kinda like Guy Gavriel Kay writes the "best historic fantasy novels that I have trouble finishing." No argument over the quality of the acting and the show itself, but I keep pausing every 10-15 minutes to do something else. Maybe I just need more sleep.

Anyone recognize the police chief as "Alan" the soft-hearted communications director from the movie "Dave" starring Kevin Kline? He's much more of a hard-ass here, telling Cohle to STFU all the time.

The show almost feels like a documentary at times, in the level of approach it takes (head-on, detailed, explanatory) and the "interview" format.

Yeah, I think Harrelson has had an interesting career since his first real large role was as the dull-witted Woody (namesake) on "Cheers," but as an actor he's actually far more talented than he came across in that first large exposure. That scene with Cohle and Hart in the police locker room, over Hart's dalliance, was impeccably nuanced rather than the cliche it could have been.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Watched episode #2 last night. Aside from being depressed over how my body will never look like Harrelson's mistress (bwa ha ha), I think it's just a pretty high-quality show.
    Just finished Episode 2.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum. I didn't even know they still made women like this!
    How can I get one?

But I don't know whether I'm just tired or whether my attention span is off or something, with a 58-minute episode and the methodical pace it's feeling a lot like "the mega-best TV series I have trouble watching," kinda like Guy Gavriel Kay writes the "best historic fantasy novels that I have trouble finishing." No argument over the quality of the acting and the show itself, but I keep pausing every 10-15 minutes to do something else. Maybe I just need more sleep.

Anyone recognize the police chief as "Alan" the soft-hearted communications director from the movie "Dave" starring Kevin Kline? He's much more of a hard-ass here, telling Cohle to STFU all the time.

The show almost feels like a documentary at times, in the level of approach it takes (head-on, detailed, explanatory) and the "interview" format.

Yeah, I think Harrelson has had an interesting career since his first real large role was as the dull-witted Woody (namesake) on "Cheers," but as an actor he's actually far more talented than he came across in that first large exposure. That scene with Cohle and Hart in the police locker room, over Hart's dalliance, was impeccably nuanced rather than the cliche it could have been.
    The brilliance is it isn't about the case, and frankly the details of the case are ultimately irrelevant.
    This is about the "big picture" of the human condition ala the contents of a Cormac McCarthy novel.

The more you try to put the pieces of the puzzle together, the more you miss the point entirely.

Continuing to be impressed with this. Actively avoiding this thread to remain spoiler-free.