User Tag List

First 12202122

Thread: True Detective

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

obviously it had different characters, theme, location, vibe, etc. and i knew that going in, but it was still the same show and comparison to the previous seasons are inevitable. i fully gave it a chance as a separate entity but it just didn't do it for me. i'd probably give it a B-.

vince vaughn was laughably awful, i almost thought it was intentional at times.

Sucked ass compared to the last season. Cant blame them for them.

Mediocre and draggy would be what i would call it if i havent seen the first season.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You know what would have been a winner? Seeing Bezzerides' dad show up in one of those final pics, the ones showing the folks opening the new rail line.

(Bwa ha ha -- snookered 'em all along!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You know what would have been a winner? Seeing Bezzerides' dad show up in one of those final pics, the ones showing the folks opening the new rail line.

(Bwa ha ha -- snookered 'em all along!)
    I was actually expecting this.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    INTp

I agree it paled in comparison to season 1, but let's face it, season 1 was one of the most epic seasons of a serial ever.

Overall, while season 2 wasn't great, I didn't think it was too bad overall. It lacked the high intensity of season 1, but it was still a pretty decent show IMO. I think it's getting way to much criticism. I mean compared to the drop offs in some series (later Dexter seasons, this season of Hannibal) this was nowhere near as bad. I think it's just the contrast to season 1 that is resulting in the extreme harshness of the reviews.

Of the series I follow currently airing (Donovan, The Strain, Falling Skies, True Dectective) I looked forward to the weekly episode of True Detective the most, so I can't honestly criticize it too much even though I wasn't completely thrilled.
    Likes Ivy, Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, I bet no one expected to see this thread come back to life.

But today I found this:
    Mahershala Ali to Star in HBO’s ‘True Detective’ Season 3 | Variety

Season 3 hasn't been approved yet, but Nic's been working on scripts since March, and a third season has more chance to be greenlit with a committed reputable cast + a decent script.

Let's just hope they get both of those elements correct this time, after the spaghetti mess of Season 2. Ali's involvement would be a great start, he seems to preserve the tone/flavor branding of who they typically cast in this series.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne