FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    You want me to roll a joint?

And how did I not see that line coming?
    I actually LOL'ed at that when he said it.

Second the Awww..damn. Everything is making sense now. I love Rachel McAdams in this. I liked her before but I think she is wonderful in this. And I think she and Colin Farrell do have chemistry, regardless of what I keep reading. Vince Vaughan - the more fucked up Frank is the better, imo.
    I think they have chemistry too, so I don't understand why some reviewers have said otherwise. Their characters were mostly self-absorbed by their own issues for most of the show, so they wouldn't really look at each other that way... nor did they trust each other... but they've each had to face up to their issues recently and basically scan as broken people fighting to stay alive (psychologically as well as physically).

I think Vaughn has done really well when Frank is DOING something, versus just standing around trying to deliver crazy lines believably. Frank's a doer. His scene with Blake was riveting because I wasn't sure what he would do next; and the same with the Russians who came into his bar. You know he's capable of nastiness, you just don't know when he'll strike.

Crazy scene with Davis (?) too.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Ivy liked this post

Yup, they were stolen around the time of the LA riots in 1992, so it's not clear yet whether they are connected to Caspere's murder. Also, the mayor's kids looked like those kids in the picture that the old cop reviewed....
    You called it Jennifer.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I feel less and less bad about Dixon getting capped back in Episode 4. Something about him stunk... and it wasn't just the flatulence.

EDIT: Decent article about the two orphans:
    The Identity of the Probable Killer on True Detective Reveals This Season’s Most Fatal Flaw | Vanity Fair

It's both sad and hilarious that the Caspere murder that started this whole thing seems to be the least compelling mystery on the show, at least in terms of where our attentions keep getting focused.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

So far it seems like a let down compared to the previous season.

Buzzz i am i know.

However they have 1 episode left to recover their reputation.

I assume the two children are the ones who killed casper - that realization i had thanks to you jen. So is that the mystery. Is there more? Cant see anything else coming our way.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Useful page if you want to brush up on all the major points we've uncovered so far this season, before the finale:

9 things you need to know before the 'True Detective' season finale - Yahoo Finance

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

At one point in the finale, this movie quote insanely ran through my mind:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I thought the finale was really good.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I thought the finale was really good.
    Yeah, that was kind of neat... and how they didn't make it quite clear at first which was which.

Interestingly it differed from the more upbeat ending of the first season. What I liked about it was that each character's arc -- whether one liked it or not personally, or how it ended for each -- was true to the character. And how the world kind of keeps on spinning regardless of the endpoint for each... some players get taken off the stage (and I'm not talking main characters necessarily, but many of the secondaries) but meanwhile others step up, and so some things change and some things persist. The phrase "we get the world we deserve" makes a lot of sense in context of the ending.

Anyway, actors on the stage of life come and go, but the crime syndicates and tangled webs of the LA political scene -- just like the sprawling highways -- continue on.

I wonder if there's enough meat here to discuss gender politics/roles in context of how this season played out....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i really tried to like it, and i didn't *dislike* it, but season 2 was just nothing compared to season 1.

i was counting on the finale being a lot more mind blowing than it was.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Pretty much everyone who didn't like Season 2 consistently seems to be comparing it to Season 1.

I would have the same gripes about Season 2 regardless of what season order it fell in -- all the flaws we've already discussed throughout the thread -- but I'd probably give it a "B" if I was just watching it without any reference points to prior seasons. I think where it excelled was some strong acting/character dialogues throughout the season + (primarily) in terms of tone and ambiance. The latter I thought was pretty strong and pretty consistent. I just wish they had changed Frank's dialogue/scenes to better match Vaughn's strengths (if they weren't going to recast him) + didn't make it just such a confusing mess of details that we couldn't sift through or retain easily. Maybe that is how real crime investigations work, but not necessarily a dramatic arc in a story.