First 123412 Last

Thread: True Detective

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I kept looking at him in the opening clip of the current time sequence ("OMG? Is that really him?") Yeah, it was. He really seems to be inhabiting someone else's skin. The earlier timeline, he looks a lot more like I know him to be.
    Absolutely. It's utterly compelling to watch him. I really believe him in the role.

Still laughing at the metaphysical discussion(s). Marty Hart is just a good ol' boy who loves his fam, local boy serving the law, doing the cop thing; but Cohle is something else. Hart's reactions were just so great (like "WTF? You can't go around spewing this shit everywhere, you're gonna FREAK people out -- what's WRONG with you? And how'd we end up sharing a beat?" etc.)
    I know, right? I really enjoyed that and connected with it. And it felt true to life too. It felt like a realistic interaction - you know what I mean?

What's your take on Cohle typewise?

I was pretty convinced he's INxP from the start. I thought INTP more at first, but I'm learning toward INFP now. I'm just not seeing the Ti. There isn't the attention to detail and he seems to go by feel more. I think I was disconcerted by the possibility of seeing truly dark, aloof, and disillusioned INFP on screen. It's a rare thing that. I'm used to seeing, to use that American word for it, the milquetoast variety. But he is a rare sort of character in general, though.

But you may disagree...
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

I tried watching this show. I lasted about an episode and a half and it felt like Seinfeld..nothing really happened. Maybe I am not a "what a great character Mathew play" type of movie watcher? Please, I need a shootout where you never run out of ammo, unless its convenient or something. Or fall through a window and don't get scratched...wait..Starship Troopers is on demand...now there's entertainment!
    "The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground"
    product app

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The first two or three episodes are a little slow, action-wise, but episodes four and five are AH MAZING. The 6-minute tracking shot at the end of episode four is the most tense I think I've ever been watching TV. Of course the real draw for me is the characters and the mythos but if you keep watching I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Likes IndyGhost liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

This show is ridiculously good.

I don't feel like it started slowly, but I can see why some people might feel that way. There's more going on in the first couple episodes than you realize at first. Get farther into the show, then go back and watch those episodes again.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Riva

Love it.

Rust and his partner's wife look really good. The sexual tension (or was it emotional?) at the dinner where the two first met was quite nice. I am glad it cumulated into what happened even though it was for all the wrong reasons.

Keeping in line with the theme of the forum here:

Rust -istp 9w8?
    Marty - isfj? Don't tell me he is an esfp.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Tried 2 episodes and found it boring. Main character is basically an annoying intuitive that goes into existential reveries whenever possible in order to make the N audience relate to him (which seems to be working). Too much talk. No blood, no sex, lack of suspense. Not my thing. The end.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    No blood, no sex, lack of suspense. Not my thing. The end.
    Yes because an abundance of sex, blood, suspense and rock n roll does sound like an intp thing :p.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Yes because an abundance of sex, blood, suspense and rock n roll does sound like an intp thing :p.

/challenging stereotypes

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This show is ridiculously good.

I don't feel like it started slowly, but I can see why some people might feel that way. There's more going on in the first couple episodes than you realize at first. Get farther into the show, then go back and watch those episodes again.
    Oh yeah. I talked my husband into watching it with me and we watched the first episodes together over the weekend. Definitely a lot more going on than I picked up on at first which isn't surprising considering I had them on while I worked the first time I watched them. It's not a show that lends itself to multitasking.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Rasofy, did you really watch the second episode? Because there's totally sex in that one. And suspense? Are we watching the same show?