• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

True Detective

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was rather hard to miss, the camera zoomed on it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm excited, so excited for the finale tonight. Please Nic, don't let us down!

It's always nice when a series pushes through and sticks the landing. ;)

I'm probably picking this over Oscar watching, so...

i'm a little worried about Roland, though:

rav3n

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I have a bit of a mix of feeling about the finale. Overall, I'm really happy with it... but there's a twinge of disappointment, like something is missing or was too easy or overlooked somehow. I'm not sure I can put it into words. I feel it felt a little better than the Season One finale, which I felt ended up a bit too perky.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw one reviewer commenting how it was disappointing the season wasn't more about race. I don't think it ever promised to be about race, I think that was just an expectation based on (1) current cultural climate and (2) rewriting of lead role with Ali cast. ALthough it is always welcomed, and it would occasionally hit it but then back off.

It would be interesting to see what happens when non-white victims are involved and how that is treated by the police.

‘True Detective’ Season 3 Finale Explained: 6 Burning Questions | TVLine

I think the show was pretty clear on #1 and you don't have to hard-think it. The insinuation was obvious.

The last two points are interesting.

Also, Henry's keeping the slip of paper... yeah, I didn't take it to the next step to consider who it could get shared with. Hmmm...

---

Good review that pulls it together thematically. Great analysis.
Also... duh.. I should have recognized the man with the clouded eye (Steven Williams). He played "Mr. X" on X-Files years ago.

rav3n

I'm still a bit annoyed and unfulfilled, from Pizz shoving the case aside to make his bigger picture statements. :mad:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am seeing a lot of J vs P play out here... :blush:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Season 4?

‘True Detective’ Season 4: Nic Pizzolatto’s New Idea + Other Shows | IndieWire

As for his police drama, Pizzolatto told IndieWire he’s moved on from his initial idea for a follow-up.

“I had this idea, and to me, I think it’s a really strong idea, and it would be something I’ve never seen on television before,” Pizzolatto said, referencing a “crazy” idea he mentioned to Esquire after Season 3 wrapped. “But since then, I’ve had another idea that I’ve talked about with an actor, and that, to me, would be the most exciting thing we could do with ‘True Detective.'”

Pizzolatto said he still wants to do something with the original idea — “it might be a different show, maybe a movie” — but he’s focusing on this new plan he “really, really wants to do for Season 4.” He did not provide any additional details or the name of the actor he spoke to, and even expressed a bit of pessimism over getting this version of Season 4 off the ground.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

...“The show was presented to me in the way we pitched it around town — as an independent film made into television,” said Fukunaga. “The writer and director are a team. Over the course of the project, Nic kept positioning himself as if he was my boss and I was like, ‘But you’re not my boss. We’re partners. We collaborate.’ By the time they got to postproduction, people like [former HBO programming president] Michael Lombardo were giving Nic more power. It was disheartening because it didn’t feel like the partnership was fair.”

“...Nic is a really good writer, but I do think he needs to be edited down. It becomes too much about the writing and not enough about the momentum of the story. My struggle with him was to take some of these long dialogue scenes and put some air into them. We differed on tone and taste.”

That second paragraph gives some credibility to Fukunaga because anyone who saw Season 2 knows that the season really needed an editor and ended up being overall the weakest of the three, it seemed to lose the story and was full of exposition. If Seinfeld was a "show about nothing," True Detective Season 2 was like a "show about spaghetti." Piles and piles of it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp