User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Thread: True Detective

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    Does anybody think too that for now Frank Semyon seems to be the most normal person?
    Now I really think this.

It took the entire scene (and I read that he would be in the series earlier) to figure out who that psychiatrist was.

I'm going to read the reddit thing because the ending I was like.... whaaat?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

haha, yeah, the psychiatrist.... I was like, "WTF is THAT?" Because he looked very familiar. Found out later. Ha!

And... interesting ending.

I still feel like Vaughn was miscast. he's pedaling as fast as he can, but he's struggling in the part (he did okay with the opening monologue at least). I think he'd do better playing someone who is more animated versus an internalized slow fuse. The others seem to be sunk pretty deep into their characters and are believable to me.

Great dialogue between Bezzerides and Velcoro in the car... one of the best moments of the episode.

Isn't Woodrugh's relationship with his mom rather... odd? Hmmmm. And I think we might have found out something interesting about him as well.

I'm enjoying the series so far, but I think people have to start taking it on its own terms. it's a bit more straight-forward (aside from a spaghetti plate full of plot strands) than the first season, but that makes sense based on the subject matter. I would like to see more diversity throughout the series, if it continues with more seasons, so that's fine with me.

One of my favorite lines:
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

I still feel like Vaughn was miscast. he's pedaling as fast as he can, but he's struggling in the part (he did okay with the opening monologue at least). I think he'd do better playing someone who is more animated versus an internalized slow fuse. The others seem to be sunk pretty deep into their characters and are believable to me.
    I agree. This is probably why I think he's the most normal one. I did like when he was crushing the glasses in the car. But he doesn't wear the part well.

Great dialogue between Bezzerides and Velcoro in the car... one of the best moments of the episode.
    And she really could pull off the vaping.

Isn't Woodrugh's relationship with his mom rather... odd? Hmmmm. And I think we might have found out something interesting about him as well.
    Hmm...yes. I somewhat agree with some things I've read, especially after this scene. And how many times did he tell his girlfriend - this isn't me, this isn't me? Yeah. This isn't you.

And the mayor! If he didn't stop fondling those two metal cups......

I'm enjoying the series so far, but I think people have to start taking it on its own terms. it's a bit more straight-forward (aside from a spaghetti plate full of plot strands) than the first season, but that makes sense based on the subject matter. I would like to see more diversity throughout the series, if it continues with more seasons, so that's fine with me.
    I do like it. It's very noir. That sounds cliche but it seems to fit.

And I like Antigone. That may not be the case at the end. I loved Rust and didn't see Marty as being "smart", although he very much was.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

so now we have a show where it seems clear The Powers That Be don't really want this crime to be solved, and they put together a sham alliance with three cops without a lot of power or ability to get the crime solved, so it will just disappear. So far only the criminal seemingly wants to solve this crime (because he's out millions of dollars and also out of the game if he can't deal himself back in) and is acquiring the most information.

The show is reminding me (contextually) a lot of "Chinatown."

Some of the music has been released. I snagged "Least Favorite Life" and "Nevermind" over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    And she really could pull off the vaping.
    Pretty funny bit. I just really liked their car banter. The series tends to have decent car banter.

Hmm...yes. I somewhat agree with some things I've read, especially after this scene. And how many times did he tell his girlfriend - this isn't me, this isn't me? Yeah. This isn't you.
    Some of the reviewers seem to not have picked up on his likely predilictions here.

At least if that's what he's dealing with, he doesn't come off as as much an asshat as he does if he's just being a crappy boyfriend.

It looks like his childhood had lots of crazy Bates-esque stuff in it, + whatever happened overseas that left him with those burns wasn't a great formative experience.

And the mayor! If he didn't stop fondling those two metal cups......
    LOL! And what's he drinking anyway?

I do like it. It's very noir. That sounds cliche but it seems to fit.

And I like Antigone. That may not be the case at the end. I loved Rust and didn't see Marty as being "smart", although he very much was.
    I like the diversity of characters we've seen. Rust is probably the most "brilliant" out of both seasons in terms of just thinking way above the norm and being able to handle abstractions, but there are various types of smarts. Marty was less book-smart but still smart at his job. None of them are "dumb" although Velcaro is in full melt-down and will crash/burn if he hasn't already.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Who wrote this episode? G R R Martin?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Whose review did you steal that line from?
    (Oh wait... most of them.)

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I keep coming back to this thread, and then have to immediately navigate away because spoilers

*temporarily unsubscribes pending catch-up viewing*
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm scared to browse through this thread in the event that a spoiler (for season 2) is waiting for me. Are people discussing Season 2 in here?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I'm scared to browse through this thread in the event that a spoiler (for season 2) is waiting for me. Are people discussing Season 2 in here?
    Yes.

Although not in great detail yet... mostly scattered details, some spoiler text, and overall perceptions.

"Well...I don't know anything about that, but sometimes a good beating provokes good personal growth."

Maybe they should've just focused on Collin Farrell and Rachel Mcadams characters. I agree with what has been said about Vince Vaughn. I find myself fighting the urge to giggle when his character is on screen. Especially when he talks for prolong periods of time, he has this weird quirk with his speech, where he'll pause just slightly. Is it suppose to be an accent or a quirk?