User Tag List

First 12

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I don't want to dislike these people, but they gave me no choice. By law, they're not guilty of anything (so far) but I know I've had lower opinions of people who I suspected to do low and perfectly legal things.

Michael Jackson
    Woody Allen
    Bill Cosby
    So what you're saying is that although you don't know that they are guilty you ostracize them because there is so much negative attention towards them in the media? Thinking Fast and Slow has a lot of insightful information about how we are influenced by such things.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    So what you're saying is that although you don't know that they are guilty you ostracize them because there is so much negative attention towards them in the media? Thinking Fast and Slow has a lot of insightful information about how we are influenced by such things.
    Thinking fast and slow? Legal judgement has nothing to do with it. The legal system does not faithfully indicate guilt or innocence, and neither does being in legal standing make you somebody that I want to associate with. And media exposure has nothing to do with it, these are all people that up until now I've given the benefit of the doubt though I've heard stories about them. For a counter example, I'm still a defender of Lewis Carroll, although the media is not on his posthumous side.

I'm asking myself now, why am I inclined to want to think positively about these people, when I wouldn't do so for people who I associate with on a daily basis with similar patterns in their behavior. This is what I'm saying.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Thinking fast and slow? Legal judgement has nothing to do with it. The legal system does not faithfully indicate guilt or innocence, and neither does being in legal standing make you somebody that I want to associate with. And media exposure has nothing to do with it, these are all people that up until now I've given the benefit of the doubt though I've heard stories about them. For a counter example, I'm still a defender of Lewis Carroll, although the media is not on his posthumous side.

I'm asking myself now, why am I inclined to want to think positively about these people, when I wouldn't do so for people who I associate with on a daily basis with similar patterns in their behavior. This is what I'm saying.
    It's a book, highly recommend.

Yes I agree with you on legal standing, though I didn't know that was your view.

Yes I see. The halo effect perhaps… It is interesting though, that entertainers are the modern cultural icons. How many people could name people who are effecting real positive changes in the world?
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~