User Tag List

First 2345 Last

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

77/250. I'm disappointed that The Sound of Music and Grease didn't make the list, but The Hobbit and A Clockwork Orange did.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

131/250 [edit] 133/250

There's a small bunch that I started watching and didn't care to finish and that I have no interest in seeing. I can find it hard to make room for certain classics, it's like they're always around and I want to see something that grabs me. Overall a good list of movies I have yet to see.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

half or more, 45 out of top 50
    I started watching top250 about 2-3 years ago to see if they are really as good as advertised.
    I really enjoyed some of them, especially the old ones like Sunset Blvd, Citizen Kane(finally got around to watching it last year) and more.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    77/250. I'm disappointed that The Sound of Music and Grease didn't make the list, but The Hobbit and A Clockwork Orange did.
    Well, it's a list tailored to the demographic of people (1) online and who (2) care enough about movies to come and vote here.

I'm guessing the audience for "The Sound of Music" is far less interested / available than the audience for "The Hobbit," and "Clockwork Orange" is still often required viewing for college film classes. (That's where I saw it, years ago, along with Blue Velvet, Lady Chatterly's Lover, and some other junk. Of course we did not watch Grease.)

It did leave me kind of ill to see LotR movies on there. Oh well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

Lotr movies are rated appropriately for what they are, fantasy movies. Top250 flaw imo is that it is an exercise in futility to rate movies cross-genre

But it is fine argument to say they don't belong as high. But case can be made that it's a top movie in it's genre, although I wouldn't put it in top50 myself either. For me Inception at no13 is more joke worthy. Cool flick, a soild 7
    nowhere near the best movie even in it's own kind.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JustAMind View Post
    Lotr movies are rated appropriately for what they are, fantasy movies. Top250 flaw imo is that it is an exercise in futility to rate movies cross-genre
    Agreed in terms of overall "general ratings" like IMDB operates on.

I think we can rate worksmanship of a movie, coherence, and that kind of thing; but different genres have different goals and there's also a large subjective factor / personal satisfaction that inundates these kinds of votes.

But it is fine argument to say they don't belong as high. But case can be made that it's a top movie in it's genre, although I wouldn't put it in top50 myself either. For me Inception at no13 is more joke worthy. Cool flick, a soild 7
    nowhere near the best movie even in it's own kind.
    I'm not an Inception h8r, much of the movie was meaningful to me and some of the acting was decent. But I agree, it should in no way be considered the 13th best movie out there. It was in part because of the public appeal of it that summer / the fad, and the theme and ending mesmerized people who weren't used to having some thought interjected into their thrillers/action films. Maybe on a production scale it would be ranked high in Nolan's works, but it's nowhere close to his best movie dramatically or artistically. (I think The Prestige or Memento should hold that honor.)

Unless I guess we're just talking about overall "general cross-crowd satisfaction."

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

78/250

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius watched 17 all the way through and fell asleep during about 10 other which he did not count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    and "Clockwork Orange" is still often required viewing for college film classes.
    See, this is exactly the wrong kind of film to show film students. Clockwork is a muddled mess; I don't know if it attempts to be a comedy, a musical, or a serious social commentary, but I think it's tries too hard to be cute and falls way short. Please tell me that Blue Velvet isn't in the top 250; Ok, I suppose if we're trying to include a variety of genres, then we need a film for the degenerates and sickos who get off on seeing women get mistreated. David Lynch should expand his reportoire and do a movie on abusing kittens next.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    See, this is exactly the wrong kind of film to show film students. Clockwork is a muddled mess; I don't know if it attempts to be a comedy, a musical, or a serious social commentary, but I think it's tries too hard to be cute and falls way short. Please tell me that Blue Velvet isn't in the top 250; Ok, I suppose if we're trying to include a variety of genres, then we need a film for the degenerates and sickos who get off on seeing women get mistreated. David Lynch should expand his reportoire and do a movie on abusing kittens next.
    It was kind of bizarre because I was far more into the conservative Christian mindset at the time, even if open-minded in the typical ways of my personality type, so i was like, uh... wow. One of my friends and I thought maybe we should walk out as some kind of statement. Nowadays I just observe and analyze without worrying about all that stuff. But I do remember being disturbed by Hopper, even if I can't remember the specifics of the movie now, 25 years later. Still, Lynch has always have some evocative imagery: From Dune, the only thing I remember (besides Patrick stewart being in it) is the drop of water that sends a ripple across the surface... and from Blue Velvet I remember that guttering flame. That STILL sticks with me today, the one thing I recall, and it gives me a chill because it seems to somehow capture the essence of those scenes.

If I'm gonna rewatch a Lynch movie, right now my choice is Mulholland Drive.