• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your top 5 tv series all time

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh i forgot this one!

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SNL - Netflix had like *all* of the SNLs in their catalog at one point. It's a great way to get perspective on those decades that I was too young to pay attention to culture. The early episodes were so creative , and the musical acts are usually great, if they aren't edited out of whichever version you are watching.

They didn't show entire episodes though! When I noticed they had all seasons, I got all excited about maybe seeing the Tooncinater again (a "Toonces, the Driving Cat" skit with Linda Hamilton, in which Toonces was a terminator). Almost everyone my age (whom I bring it up to) remembers this skit, yet they didn't include it in the episode. Badly done, Netflix! Badly done. And the William Shatner episode was missing the Star Trek revolving restaurant skit. [I agree about SNL skits though, obviously, as some have stuck with me for over 20 years.)

And I hadn't included comedies in my list, but I'll add Mr. Show and Community as more honorable mentions.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Trying to remember what real comedy troupe shows had been out there before in that prior decade. I know MPFC was something like 67-71' or so, over in England. What was SNL competing with and/or building off at the time? I just was too young to really be aware of it, I actually caught the earlier stuff later.

I was a fan of SCTV growing up too, kind of the Canadian sketch show version (with Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Catherine O' Hara, Dave Thomas, John Candy, and Rick Moranis... plus a few others... Robin Duke?) Most of them are still around, although I think the last thing I saw Joe Flaherty in was "Back to the Future II", cameoing as the Western Union guy at the movie's end. O'Hara, Thomas, and Levy are still doing movies/TV maybe, Moranis is still known... and of course, well John Candy... :(

I remember SCTV. Where I was at, it was on at some weird hour on Saturday morning. All this comedy geeking out reminds me that Freaks & Geeks is number 6 on my list. It's like Dazed & Confused as a TV show with more nerd quotient.

I have a feeling that they were an extension of the variety show from the time period. I don't know about comedy troupes of the era. I guess in a way you can call those old variety shows comdedy troupes, like Carol Burnette, Phyllis Diller, William Conrad.

They didn't show entire episodes though! When I noticed they had all seasons, I got all excited about maybe seeing the Tooncinater again (a "Toonces, the Driving Cat" skit with Linda Hamilton, in which Toonces was a terminator). Almost everyone my age (whom I bring it up to) remembers this skit, yet they didn't include it in the episode. Badly done, Netflix! Badly done. And the William Shatner episode was missing the Star Trek revolving restaurant skit. [I agree about SNL skits though, obviously, as some have stuck with me for over 20 years.)

And I hadn't included comedies in my list, but I'll add Mr. Show and Community as more honorable mentions.

Yep, Toonces, I definitely remember him. SNL hasn't been consistent, but it always has had something to say for the time. BAD BAD BAD Netflix. I got especially angry when they hit some sort of licensing cutoff where they stopped showing the musical acts even though they're announced. (And performing, Elvis Costello!! No Elvis Costello :( )

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm happy that no one has nominated TBBT. Faith in humanity restored.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember SCTV. Where I was at, it was on at some weird hour on Saturday morning. All this comedy geeking out reminds me that Freaks & Geeks is number 6 on my list. It's like Dazed & Confused as a TV show with more nerd quotient.

I have a feeling that they were an extension of the variety show from the time period. I don't know about comedy troupes of the era. I guess in a way you can call those old variety shows comdedy troupes, like Carol Burnette, Phyllis Diller, William Conrad.

Yeah, I don't know who William Conrad is, but I think Phyllis Diller was pretty darn funny; and I really liked Carol Burnette and Co (Vicki Lawrence, Tim Conway, Harvey Corman, etc.)

Yep, Toonces, I definitely remember him.

me too. :)

I'm happy that no one has nominated TBBT. Faith in humanity restored.

My impression is that TBBT is a show about geeks for geek wannabes or people who like laughing at geekery. If you're already a geek, you go do something else!

My ISFJ ex thinks it's hilarious. I've laughed when i watched it but have little desire to ever watch it, even with the geek topics like Sheldon rolling D&D dice to make daily life decisions.

But you'll laugh at this: A friend of mine NOT on the forum this afternoon out of the blue started trying to cast a workplace version of TBBT. That's weird synergy with you bringing it up here, I never talk about that show.

G

Ginkgo

X-Files - (Got really weird at the end, but ultimately, it sometimes weirded me out in ways that allowed me to explore the darker parts of my soul at the time.)

Breaking Bad - (Served as a Rorchach test for me, friends, and strangers. I'm still evaluating it, but I think it teased you by almost breaking the 4th wall with social commentary, while at the same time maintaining a strong level of realism, without insulting your intelligence in any way. The only misgivings I had about it directly related to 1 or 2 insufferable characters - but the way they contrasted with the main characters only reinforced what I loved about the show. Very addicting.)

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - (As a healthy reminder about how awful human beings can be. Also, for the lulz)

Cowboy Bebop - (First series that let me feel that it was OK to watch anime.)

Firefly - (Because I always wanted a Han Solo spin-off. Also, Nathan Fillion )

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
1. Northern Exposure: early 90s drama about a little town of special snowflakes. Just light-hearted, fluffy goodness.
2. ST:TNG , some of the best story-telling on TV
3. LOST, addictive stuff, but I don't think I can watch it again. Loved Terry O'Quinn's work in the series.
4. Early Edition: another fun, light-hearted series with some great story telling.
5. In Treatment: It's just a therapist talking to his patients, but I found the stories rivetting.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My impression is that TBBT is a show about geeks for geek wannabes or people who like laughing at geekery. If you're already a geek, you go do something else!
Haha, pretty much. The sad thing is, it wasn't like that before it got dumbed down.

It actually had some witty conversations, like a xkcd sort of humor, but now most of the humor is based on making fun of the personality of the characters, which is quite mundane.

But you'll laugh at this: A friend of mine NOT on the forum this afternoon out of the blue started trying to cast a workplace version of TBBT. That's weird synergy with you bringing it up here, I never talk about that show.
:laugh: Now that's a weird coincidence.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
1. Carnivale
2. American Horror Story
3. True Detective
4. Game of Thrones
5. South Park

Not the greatest shows ever made, but I have the most fun watching these.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ahh i totally forgot breaking bad and spartacus too. ughh...i can't pick 5

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
News Radio
Malcolm in the Middle
Firefly
Angel
Heroes

Hoping Outlander is going to be really good. And I'm liking the TV adaptation of Bitten except for the crappy cgi. Both are based on books in chick-lit genre, so kinda targeted my stereotypical demographic.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sigmund and the Sea Monsters
The Monkees
The Man From Atlantis
My Mother, the Car
Petticoat Junction

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quantum Leap
Pirates of Black Water
The Tracey Ullman Show
Robotech
Amazing Stories

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
and to all of those that said twilight zone.