MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    Oh, also... Adventure Time, anyone?
    Lolz....probably one of my most favorite shows that I never watch.

I think I'd give Walking Dead and AHS honorable mentions too. Probably favorite walking dead arc is the Shane thing; favorite AHS season is still season #1.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Stansmith

3 tv shows that stand out to me, in no particular order.

Mad Men (Season 4); stylish, tasteful, and it's always managed to touched me on a more intimate level that most popular tv dramas haven't been able to. Season 4 is a masterpiece and perhaps a testament to the television drama's potential to be viewed as a genuine art form.

The Sopranos; I'd have to give the series a second look before I can decided what my favorite season is, although I can remember the last few episodes of Season 6 being pretty solid. Overall, it seemed like a fairly consistent series, although I didn't care for some of the more contrived storylines from later in the series (the poorly handled Vito storyline, being one example).

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia; consistent and charmingly irreverent when it comes to typical sitcom conventions. I think I'm partial towards seasons 2 to 6.

I'm not comfortable choosing two others; I've never really been much of a tv person....Although I could share some other series that I've enjoyed thoroughly in the past:

The Office
    Parks and Rec
    Futurama
    Breaking Bad
    Louie
    King of the Hill

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

You know what? I don't think I've watched five shows to completion.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - I'm going to include the entire Whendonverse in this one, I love the characters, writing and mythology in his shows.
    Battlestar Galactica reboot - I need to rewatch this, but that show kept me so engaged. Everything in it changed so fast, so much so that I had trouble remembering how the plot had gotten into whatever messed up situation that it was in, but it always felt organic and somehow portentous.
    SNL - Netflix had like *all* of the SNLs in their catalog at one point. It's a great way to get perspective on those decades that I was too young to pay attention to culture. The early episodes were so creative , and the musical acts are usually great, if they aren't edited out of whichever version you are watching.
    Mad Men - I've been watching from the first episode. The perspective of the show was like a slap in the face. The period accurate representation felt like satire at times and at others it felt like a foreign country. In the better episodes the resonance between the story arcs and the themes are moving, especially when the perfect song is playing in the end credits.
    My So Called Life - Damn, I was in love with Angela Chase. I totally understood Ricky, and even sympathized with the adults when this was on. The feeelings, the 90's angst.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    SNL - Netflix had like *all* of the SNLs in their catalog at one point. It's a great way to get perspective on those decades that I was too young to pay attention to culture. The early episodes were so creative , and the musical acts are usually great, if they aren't edited out of whichever version you are watching.
    good call. minus like the past however many years. that show really dropped off, but it has so many excellent seasons behind it, that i'd still qualify it as one of the best. for sure.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    good call. minus like the past however many years. that show really dropped off, but it has so many excellent seasons behind it, that i'd still qualify it as one of the best. for sure.
    I remember thinking the early years were pretty good, but at some point it became a fixture scrounging for replacements rather than a show generated from worthwhile parts to begin with.

Not there hasn't occasionally been something of interest, but I usually just catch it on YouTube rather than watching the show.

I remember when Mad TV came out, I thought it was far fresher and funnier. Too bad it didn't last as long.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I remember thinking the early years were pretty good, but at some point it became a fixture scrounging for replacements rather than a show generated from worthwhile parts to begin with.

Not there hasn't occasionally been something of interest, but I usually just catch it on YouTube rather than watching the show.

I remember when Mad TV came out, I thought it was far fresher and funnier. Too bad it didn't last as long.
    There are definitely gaps. What struck me watching the first season is the original ambition of the show, to be a cultural and creative showcase. Carlin was in the first episode, they had comedic and high-concept films by Albert Brooks, and very abstract stuff by Jim Henson. It felt a little to me like an extension of the type of energy coming out of the punk/no-new-wave stuff in NYC at the time. The ambition has definitely dropped, and it has settled into a formula, which works especially election years.

Some talent definitely makes it into and out of there still.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    There are definitely gaps. What struck me watching the first season is the original ambition of the show, to be a cultural and creative showcase. Carlin was in the first episode, they had comedic and high-concept films by Albert Brooks, and very abstract stuff by Jim Henson. It felt a little to me like an extension of the type of energy coming out of the punk/no-new-wave stuff in NYC at the time. The ambition has definitely dropped, and it has settled into a formula, which works especially election years.
    Trying to remember what real comedy troupe shows had been out there before in that prior decade. I know MPFC was something like 67-71' or so, over in England. What was SNL competing with and/or building off at the time? I just was too young to really be aware of it, I actually caught the earlier stuff later.

I was a fan of SCTV growing up too, kind of the Canadian sketch show version (with Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Catherine O' Hara, Dave Thomas, John Candy, and Rick Moranis... plus a few others... Robin Duke?) Most of them are still around, although I think the last thing I saw Joe Flaherty in was "Back to the Future II", cameoing as the Western Union guy at the movie's end. O'Hara, Thomas, and Levy are still doing movies/TV maybe, Moranis is still known... and of course, well John Candy...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

#5 true blood- exceeded video upload :/
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

honorable mentions of the ones that got cancelled.

and older favorites

seinfeld
    frasier
    friends
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison