- Black Books
    - Blackadder
    - Jeeves and Wooster
    - Poirot
    - and either Mad Men or Downton Abbey

Honorable mentions:
    - House MD
    - Sopranos
    - 24 (at least the first few seasons, 2 and 4 are the best IMHO)
    - Yes, Minister / Yes, Prime Minister

I don't really think of Monty Python's Flying Circus as a series. My favorites seem a bit heavy on the costume side and you can probably entertain me with most halfway decent crime/mystery show (Sherlock is cool and I am currently bingewatching Elementary, still not exactly sure on the latter, many twists are predictable but so far I stil enjoy it)
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Battlestar Galactica (the reboot, not the original): Showed that gritty, dark science fiction can be done well as a serious drama on TV. Yeah, the ending sucked. But that can't take away from the rest of the series.

New BSG is, bar none, my favorite tv series ever. I don't even think the ending is terrible. I mean it's absurd from a 'this is what a group of people in this situation would actually do' PoV, but I honestly can't think of a better way they could have neatly tied the show up. And it's got emotion. Oh, the emotional power! I think other BSG fans know which scene I mean. Oh, and the music! My forum handle is one of the songs that Bear McCreary wrote for the series.

Anyhow, the rest of my list:

2. Game of Thrones Not as good as the books, but I still can't wait to get caught up on this one.

3. Dexter I thought the show's premise was so ridiculous when it first aired that I made no attempt to watch it for years. But after getting a recommendation from my mother of all people, and then giving it a try I was instantly hooked. It does get pretty silly in places; I'm sure that any trained psychologists who watch the show can't help but roll their eyes, but oh man, is this show full of gritty interesting questions!

4. Friends There are other sitcoms I thought about putting here -- Frazier and Seinfeld come to mind -- but Friends remains my #1 source of weird-shit-I-have-to-stop-myself-from-blurting-out-at-odd-times.

5. Psycho Pass Again, there are a few animes I thought of putting here, all of them dark. Deathnote and Darker Than Black come to mind. But I think Psycho Pass is the best; it's reasonably fast-paced, not too much fan service, and it's gritty and dark without expressing hopelessness. The first and last scenes of season 1 are priceless mirror images of each other.

Honorable Mention: 30 Rock and Parks and Rec both made me incredibly uncomfortable for 2-3 episodes each, but when I got over it...well, pure hilarity ensued.
    Likes lumi, Dyslexxie liked this post

I dont ever really get connected to a show to get into it. Ill watch bits and pieces of a show and move on to something else. But I suppose if I had to:

Reality TV:
    1) Survivor
    2) The Mole

1) Friends
    2) Malcolm in the Middle
    3) House

1) Breaking Bad
    2) Cold Case

Mystery: (Including those above & my own personal favorite category)
    1) The Mole
    2) Whodunnit
    3) Harpers Island
    5) Whodunnit

Some of the mystery ones are a bit stupid and cliche but what can I say I love predicting the ending. Gives me somthing to think about.

Lungs & Lips Locked Array Unkindloving's Avatar

Vampire Diaries
    Aeon Flux
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Just picking 5 is difficult for me, but off the top of my head I'll go with:

1) Full House

2) Friends

3) Boy Meets

4) Degrassi

5) Avatar: The Last Airbender

Honorable mentions to:
    - The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    - Law & Order: SVU
    - Supernatural
    - Drake & Josh (My favorite show as a kid, don't judge. I love Dan Schneider's shows!)

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    5w4 sp/sx

Huh. I thought I already posted in this thread.

Parks and Recreation
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

I love TNG too, but I just think DS9 has a better story and more fleshed-out characters.

Honorable mentions must be given to Adventure Time, and most seasons of The X-Files. (Wow, those shows could not be more dissimilar.)

I love the first ten or eleven seasons of The Simpsons, but it hasn't been good in so long, I just can't bring myself to count it.

And I think of Sherlock as more of a long mini-series, like Hornblower and Jeeves and Wooster.

Okay, I'm done. (Probably.)

3w2 so/sp

Parks and Recreation
    Gilmore Girls
    BBC Sherlock

I used to really like Bones and House as well. But they both dragged on for way too long and the later seasons are dumb.
    “We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.” - Leslie Knope

"Nothing lasts forever, some things aren't meant to be. But you'll never find the answers 'til you set your old heart free."

3w2 6w7 1w2

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

The wire.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

Junior Member Array
    9 sp

Can't get it down to 5, there's a 3 way tie for 4th, have to do top 6:
    1. Glee - shut up, I'm well aware of its flaws and love it anyway. It's my happy place. I love the music and performances most, and the cast is incredible. They did way more with the material they were given than should have been possible. I'm looking forward to seeing where they all go from here. Kurt is my favorite character. At first glance he seems like a total stereotype but the deeper you look he has layers upon layers upon layers of depth with a core of pure steel, pluck, and endless compassion. Chris Colfer is incredible.

2. Doctor Who - RTD/Tennant Era is my favorite but there is something to like about every Doctor. I like that it is a witty romp of an adventure story but not at the expense of depth.

3. M*A*S*H - My dad's favorite show, been watching it since I was tiny and no matter how many times I've seen an episode it never fails to make me laugh. TV comfort food.

4. Firefly - Im a sucker for quirky Whedon wit and characters.

4. The West Wing - The quick, intelligent and hilarious banter

4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - again, Whedon wit

Basically, give me interesting, deceptively deep characters and lots of wit and snark and I'm happy.

Honorable mention to: Angel, Sherlock, The Flash and the early seasons of Supernatural.
    Last edited by tardismama; 08-09-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Noticed that op asked for reasons

649 sp/so
    EII Fi

Game of Thrones
    Breaking Bad
    "Those who do not move, do not notice their chains"
    -Rosa Luxemburg