• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi

93JC

I'm surprised no one has started a thread about this (that I can find). The opening ceremonies are only about a day-and-a-half from now.

Will you watch? I probably won't watch much, but I'll admit that if the Canadian men's hockey team makes it to the gold medal match I'll probably watch that.

Reporters and athletes are trickling into Sochi now, and initial reports about the conditions of the accommodations are not very flattering. See for example http://nypost.com/2014/02/04/horrible-conditions-for-winter-olympics-visitors/ and http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ater-bugs-no-lightbulbs-days-ahead-Games.html. I wonder how much of this is true. It seems to me that western media have been revelling in the chance to lambaste these Olympics...

(I know enough of the Russian alphabet to know what "душ" means, and to know how it's pronounced. :laugh: No idea what "душ впечатлений" means entirely though...)

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I'll only go out of my way to watch the Canadian men's hockey. But I will tune in now and again and watch other stuff if the coverage is not too awful.

Usually, I find the coverage is 20% advertising, 40% boring backgroud stories/interviews with atheletes, and only 40% actual coverage of events. If I don't come across that final 40% when I am channel surfing by, I won't stick around.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love the olympics. I'll be watching a little bit of everything.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like the olympics for getting to see people come together from all over the world. lotsa cool names :D

for winter, i'd say figure skating and curling are my favorites. don't really care about any of the competitions tbh, but those are the most entertaining to me. i love the things they shout during curling! such a funny sport.

93JC

Just watched the end of the women's hockey gold medal game. 3-2 Canada in OT! Ha-ha! :D

dynamic_resize

(The men's teams play tomorrow in the semi-finals. :ninja:)