• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rank your favorite artist's discography.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Nick Drake:

I see you've ranked Five Leaves Left above Bryter Layter..

That's like the toughest decision of all time to make.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see you've ranked Five Leaves Left above Bryter Layter..

That's like the toughest decision of all time to make.
Not really.

There's a melancholic air around Five Leaves Left that's largely lacking on Bryter Layter. I think he shone the brightest on his more morose tunes. Bryter Layter sounds almost... upbeat at times.
Plus I enjoy the sparser arrangements on Five Lives Left much more than the full band he employed on Bryter Layter. Not a super fan of all the strings and horns.

Too bad what happened. Can't shake the feeling that he had another masterpiece in him.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Not really.

There's a melancholic air around Five Leaves Left that's largely lacking on Bryter Layter. I think he shone the brightest on his more morose tunes. Bryter Layter sounds almost... upbeat at times.
Plus I enjoy the sparser arrangements on Five Lives Left much more than the full band he employed on Bryter Layter. Not a super fan of all the strings and horns.

Too bad what happened. Can't shake the feeling that he had another masterpiece in him.

Five leaves left would be a perfect album, along with Pink Moon if it wasn't for the strings and horns. Their inclusion takes a lot of points away from the album. The song writing is still genius though.. Obviously.

Bryter Layter is good because it's upbeat. Nick Drake was a sad guy so I like hearing him like that. The strings and stuff on that album take nothing away from it, for me. It's a different kind of album, and I think it's Nick at his best.

Plus.. It has John Cale on it!

/Opinions

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Five leaves left would be a perfect album, along with Pink Moon if it wasn't for the strings and horns. Their inclusion takes a lot of points away from the album, for me. The song writing is still genius though.. Obviously.
I agree with this, actually. Way To Blue and Day Is Done are the weakest songs on the album because of the lush strings. The cello on Cello Song is stellar, though.

Bryter Layter is good because it's upbeat. Nick Drake was a sad guy so I like hearing him like that. The strings and stuff on that album take nothing away from it in my opinion. It's a different kind of album, and I think is Nick at his best.

/Opinions
Blasphemy.

:D

No, but I know what you mean. My favorite song on Pink Moon is From the Morning, which is the most happy-sounding song on the album. As a closer, it's perfect, starkly contrasted with the depressive streak of songs that precede it. The album couldn't have ended on a more beautiful note.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I agree with this, actually. Way To Blue and Day Is Done are the weakest songs on the album because of the lush strings. The cello on Cello Song is stellar, though.

Can you imagine River Man or Day is Done without strings? Or Fruit tree..

Ugh.

There are no strings on Way To Blue, but yeah, it's the weakest song on there, still, along with Thoughts of Mary Jane (I don't even know why this is one of his most popular songs).

Blasphemy.

:D

Na. :)

No, but I know what you mean. My favorite song on Pink Moon is From the Morning, which is the most happy-sounding song on the album. As a closer, it's perfect, starkly contrasted with the depressive streak of songs that precede it. The album couldn't have ended on a more beautiful note.

I don't know if I can pick a favorite track off of Pink Moon. Probably Things Behind The Sun, Parasite, or Place To Be.

I always thought the haunting instrumental "Horn" which comes before Things Behind The Sun made it so much better.. It's genius.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you imagine River Man or Day is Done without strings? Or Fruit tree..

Ugh.
River Man is fantastic. And yes, those strings really elevate the song. So unsettling.

There are no strings on Way To Blue, but yeah, it's the weakest song on there...
Yes, there are. But I know there's a different version with piano, which I assume is the one you have?

According to wiki, the "official" version seems to be one with the strings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Leaves_Left#Personnel said:
"Way to Blue"

Robert Kirby – string arrangement

Which is this version and the one I have:

... still, along with Thoughts of Mary Jane (I don't even know why this is one of his most popular songs).
Is it? Wasn't aware. I share your puzzlement about that, though. :laugh:

I don't know if I can pick a favorite track off of Pink Moon. Probably Things Behind The Sun, Parasite, or Place To Be.

I always thought the haunting instrumental "Horn" which comes before Things Behind The Sun made it so much better.. It's genius.
Yes, it's very desolate... and oddly bittersweet. Conveying pretty much for an instrumental about one and a half minute long.

The whole album is genius. Easily in my all time top 5.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

River Man is fantastic. And yes, those strings really elevate the song. So unsettling.

Yeah, I think River Man is the song which best reveals how he felt about his depression. It's one of his best.. Really sad.

It's a shame he couldn't beat his demons in the end.

Yes, there are. But I know there's a different version with piano, which I assume is the one you have?

According to wiki, the "official" version seems to be one with the strings:

Which is this version and the one I have:

Whoa. How could I have been unaware of this this whole time? :unsure:

I had been listening to the wrong version of the song.. Sorry about that.

Yes, it's very desolate... and oddly bittersweet. Conveying pretty much for an instrumental about one and a half minute long.

The whole album is genius. Easily in my all time top 5.

Yep, and yep.

Have you heard this version of Place to Be? It shows how great he was at finger picking. I wish he would have played it this way on the album.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Bob Dylan

Utter Crap:
35. Under the Red Sky (1990)
34. Down in the Groove (Silvio is fun) (1988)
33. Knocked Out Loaded (1987)
32. Together Through Life (2009)
31. Christmas in the Heart (2009)

Perversely Amusing Crap:
30. Dylan (1973)
29. Empire Burlesque (1985)
28. Shot of Love (1981)
27. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973)
26. Saved (1980)

Mediocre But Has Its Moments:
25. Tempest (2012)
24. Good As I Been to You (1992)
23. Street Legal (1978)
22. Infidels (1983)
21. Self-Portrait (1970)

Respectable Efforts:
20. World Gone Wrong (1993)
19. Slow Train Coming (1979)
18. Oh Mercy! (1989)
17. Modern Times (2006)
16. Bob Dylan (1962)

Classic Albums:
15. Planet Waves (1974)
14. Time Out of Mind (1997)
13. New Morning (1970)
12. The Basement Tapes (1975)
11. John Wesley Harding (1967)
10. Another Side of Bob Dylan (1964)
9. The Times They Are A-Changin' (1964)
8. Nashville Skyline (1969)
7. Love and Theft (2001)
6. Desire (1976)

5 Perfect Albums:
5. Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
4. Blood on the Tracks (1975)
3. Blonde on Blonde (1966)
2. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963)
1. Bringing It All Back Home (1965)

LED ZEPPELIN:
1. I
2. III
3. II
4. IV
5. Houses of the Holy
6. Physical Graffiti
7. Presence
8. CODA
9. In Through the Out Door

I would have it the same way, except LZ III is my favourite. It's close, but I'm an acoustic guy.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Really close calls in this ranking:
1. Master of Reality (pristine)
2. Black Sabbath (outstanding)
3. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (very good)
4. Sabotage (very good)
5. Never Say Die (quite good, better than its reputation)
6. Volume 4 (quite good)
7. Technical Ecstasy (quite good, better than its reputation)
8. Paranoid (quite good / judgment possibly clouded by overplay)

---

(Runner-Up)
1. Queen II
2. Queen
3. Day at the Races
4. Night at the Opera
5. Jazz
6. Sheer Heart Attack
7. News of the World

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7040]Forever_Jung[/MENTION], III was my favorite for a long time. I feel like I might alternate between III and I at different times. Respect.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I think River Man is the song which best reveals how he felt about his depression. It's one of his best.. Really sad.

It's a shame he couldn't beat his demons in the end.
Undoubtedly one of his best. I'm not much of a lyrics guy, but being the genius songwriter he was his music alone can definetely paint a picture of depression.

Yes, his death was a real loss. Kinda brings another dimension to the song Pink Moon... as if he knew the end was near.

Whoa. How could I have been unaware of this this whole time? :unsure:

I had been listening to the wrong version of the song.. Sorry about that.
Piano version is better anyway, so no problems, really. :laugh:

Yep, and yep.

Have you heard this version of Place to Be? It shows how great he was at finger picking. I wish he would have played it this way on the album.
No, I haven't.

But damn.

Yes, listening to this I also feel the guitar playing is way better than on the final version.

Is this from a bootleg or a compilation album or something?

Btw, our conversation made me revisit Bryter Layter, and my opinion of it might have been a bit rash. It's definitely top tier. A few more spins and it might rival Five Leaves Left.

Also, great Jeff avatar. I knew you were cool. :cheers:

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Undoubtedly one of his best. I'm not much of a lyrics guy, but being the genius songwriter he was his music alone can definetely paint a picture of depression.

Yes, his death was a real loss. Kinda brings another dimension to the song Pink Moon... as if he knew the end was near.

He certainly knew he was doomed. He spoke through his music, as it was the only means through which he was comfortable expressing himself, and it was all over his music from the beginning until the very end.. He essentially planned his own death, or so it seems.

From Fruit Tree, on Five Leaves Left:

"Fame is but a fruit tree
So very unsound
It can never flourish
'till its stalk is in the ground
So men of fame
Can never find a way
'til time has flown
Far from their dying day

Fruit tree, Fruit tree
No one knows you but the rain and the air
Don't you worry
They'll stand and stare when you're gone"

And he died exactly five years after Five Leaves Left was released, to boot. No one was paying attention, or did anything to help him when he was clearly reaching out..

From Hanging On A Star, one of his four final cuts, recorded after Pink Moon:

"Why leave me sailing in a sea?
When you hear me so clear
When you hear me so clear
When you hear me, so clear?"

Yes, they heard you Nick, but they were not listening.

No, I haven't.

But damn.

Yes, listening to this I also feel the guitar playing was way better than on the final version.

Is this from a bootleg or a compilation album or something?

Not sure where it's from exactly. :thinking:

Probably a bootleg.

Btw, our conversation made me revisit Bryter Layter, and my opinion of it might have been a bit rash. It's definitely top tier. A few more spins and it might rival Five Leaves Left.

Glad to hear it.

Also, great Jeff avatar. I knew you were cool. :cheers:

Hey thanks. Takes one to know one.

:)

PS: Pink Moon is probably his most genius song.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Tool

1. Lateralus
2. Aenema
3. Undertow
4. 10 000days

Megadeth

1. Rust in Peace
2. Youthanasia
3. Countdown to Extinction
4. Cryptic Writings
5...everything else

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He certainly knew he was doomed. He spoke through his music, as it was the only means through which he was comfortable expressing himself, and it was all over his music from the beginning until the very end.. He essentially planned his own death, or so it seems.
I never reflected over this before. When you describe it like that, his fate seems similar to Ian Curtis'. The lyrics were telling of his angst and torment, but not even his bandmates would take notice of them until he hanged himself.

Also reminds me of Darby Crash of The Germs, who literally planned out his own suicide 5 years prior, partly as a way of cementing himself as a punk icon, and partly stemming from his obsession with David Bowie, whose song Five Years is about the world coming to an end in five years.

The irony of it is that one reason why he did it was to be remembered, but by a cruel (and morbidly funny) twist of fate John Lennon was shot the day after he intentionally overdosed on heroin, overshadowing any attention his suicide could have gotten in the press.

Not sure where it's from exactly. :thinking:

Probably a bootleg.
Yup, it's called Tanworth-in-Arden II. Found it at the bay of pirates.

Hey thanks. Takes one to know one.

Have you heard Jackson C. Frank, Elliott Smith or The Microphones?

The first two are sad singer/songwriters in the same vein as Nick Drake (Jackson C. Frank was an obvious influence on him), and The Microphones are kinda lo-fi fuzz folk (but more melancholic and bedroom recording-sounding) that any fan of Neutral Milk Hotel should be able to appreciate.

If not, check out the records Jackson C. Frank, Either/Or and The Glow pt. 2, respectively.

Also, do you have last.fm?

PS: Pink Moon is probably his most genius song.
One of them, at least.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I never reflected over this before. When you describe it like that, his fate seems similar to Ian Curtis'. The lyrics were telling of his angst and torment, but not even his bandmates would take notice of them until he hanged himself.

I'm a big fan of Joy Division. Though I find it hard to relate Ian with Nick apart from the fact that they both killed themselves. I see them as two very different people who met the same unfortunate fate.

Also reminds me of Darby Crash of The Germs, who literally planned out his own suicide 5 years prior, partly as a way of cementing himself as a punk icon, and partly stemming from his obsession with David Bowie, whose song Five Years is about the world coming to an end in five years.

The irony of it is that one reason why he did it was to be remembered, but by a cruel (and morbidly funny) twist of fate John Lennon was shot the day after he intentionally overdosed on heroin, overshadowing any attention his suicide could have gotten in the press.

Whoa, I did not know that. The John Lennon twist is interesting.. Life's strange that way.

Yup, it's called Tanworth-in-Arden II. Found it at the bay of pirates.

Oh yeah, that's the one. I don't have it but I'm aware of it.

Have you heard Jackson C. Frank, Elliott Smith or The Microphones?

I sure have heard of Jackson C. Frank, and Elliott. Not that last band though, but I will certainly check them out.

I would place Jackson C. Frank in my top 3 favorite songwriters, for sure. What an interesting character, and it's funny, I was going to ask if you had heard of him too.

The Microphones are kinda lo-fi fuzz folk (but more melancholic and bedroom recording-sounding) that any fan of Neutral Milk Hotel should be able to appreciate.

Relevant to my interests..

If not, check out The Glow pt. 2.

Will do, thanks a lot!

Also, do you have last.fm?

I do not.

One of them, at least.

Yeah. :)

Thanks again!

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a big fan of Joy Division. I find it hard to relate Ian with Nick apart from the fact that they both killed themselves, though. Two very different people who met the same unfortunate fate.
Just the fact that they both bared their pain in their music, but nobody listened until it was too late. Chalk it up to my Ne. :laugh:

Whoa, I did not know that. The John Lennon twist is interesting.. Life's strange that way.
Yeah. I find it a great piece of (relatively obscure) music history.

I sure have heard of Jackson C. Frank, and Elliott. Not that last band though, but I will.

I would place Jackson C. Frank in my top 3 favorite songwriters, for sure. What an interesting character.
I know a bit of his story, but nothing about his personality or character.

Fantastic singer/songwriter though.

Will do, thanks a lot!

Thanks again!
You're very welcome. Always cool to talk to and share music with fellow music aficionados.