User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 46

  1. #31
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    Hey! Those top 5 can be ranked in just about any order for me, depending on my mood. I just find Highway 61 a little too rowdy for my mellow 9ish tastes (because I'm totally a 9 ).

  2. #32
    Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    5,634

    Default

    @Forever_Jung, III was my favorite for a long time. I feel like I might alternate between III and I at different times. Respect.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

  3. #33
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Hey! Those top 5 can be ranked in just about any order for me, depending on my mood. I just find Highway 61 a little too rowdy for my mellow 9ish tastes (because I'm totally a 9 ).
    Hehe.

  4. #34
    To here knows when... Odi et Amo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    4. Blood on the Tracks (1975)


    Ranking Dylan = exercise in futility. The only artist I've ever found more difficult to rank is Nick Cave.
    Solitude
    Comes just as it goes
    Goes as just its umbra
    Comes


    “Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
    ― Albert Camus

    4w5/5w4/1w2, Neutral Good, RlxAI

  5. #35
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    Yeah, I think River Man is the song which best reveals how he felt about his depression. It's one of his best.. Really sad.

    It's a shame he couldn't beat his demons in the end.
    Undoubtedly one of his best. I'm not much of a lyrics guy, but being the genius songwriter he was his music alone can definetely paint a picture of depression.

    Yes, his death was a real loss. Kinda brings another dimension to the song Pink Moon... as if he knew the end was near.


    Whoa. How could I have been unaware of this this whole time?

    I had been listening to the wrong version of the song.. Sorry about that.
    Piano version is better anyway, so no problems, really.


    Yep, and yep.

    Have you heard this version of Place to Be? It shows how great he was at finger picking. I wish he would have played it this way on the album.
    No, I haven't.

    But damn.

    Yes, listening to this I also feel the guitar playing is way better than on the final version.

    Is this from a bootleg or a compilation album or something?

    Btw, our conversation made me revisit Bryter Layter, and my opinion of it might have been a bit rash. It's definitely top tier. A few more spins and it might rival Five Leaves Left.

    Also, great Jeff avatar. I knew you were cool.

  6. #36
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Undoubtedly one of his best. I'm not much of a lyrics guy, but being the genius songwriter he was his music alone can definetely paint a picture of depression.

    Yes, his death was a real loss. Kinda brings another dimension to the song Pink Moon... as if he knew the end was near.
    He certainly knew he was doomed. He spoke through his music, as it was the only means through which he was comfortable expressing himself, and it was all over his music from the beginning until the very end.. He essentially planned his own death, or so it seems.

    From Fruit Tree, on Five Leaves Left:

    "Fame is but a fruit tree
    So very unsound
    It can never flourish
    'till its stalk is in the ground
    So men of fame
    Can never find a way
    'til time has flown
    Far from their dying day

    Fruit tree, Fruit tree
    No one knows you but the rain and the air
    Don't you worry
    They'll stand and stare when you're gone"


    And he died exactly five years after Five Leaves Left was released, to boot. No one was paying attention, or did anything to help him when he was clearly reaching out..

    From Hanging On A Star, one of his four final cuts, recorded after Pink Moon:

    "Why leave me sailing in a sea?
    When you hear me so clear
    When you hear me so clear
    When you hear me, so clear?"


    Yes, they heard you Nick, but they were not listening.

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    No, I haven't.

    But damn.

    Yes, listening to this I also feel the guitar playing was way better than on the final version.

    Is this from a bootleg or a compilation album or something?
    Not sure where it's from exactly.

    Probably a bootleg.

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Btw, our conversation made me revisit Bryter Layter, and my opinion of it might have been a bit rash. It's definitely top tier. A few more spins and it might rival Five Leaves Left.
    Glad to hear it.

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Also, great Jeff avatar. I knew you were cool.
    Hey thanks. Takes one to know one.



    PS: Pink Moon is probably his most genius song.

  7. #37
    Parody Parrot meowington's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    Tool

    1. Lateralus
    2. Aenema
    3. Undertow
    4. 10 000days

    Megadeth

    1. Rust in Peace
    2. Youthanasia
    3. Countdown to Extinction
    4. Cryptic Writings
    5...everything else

  8. #38
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    He certainly knew he was doomed. He spoke through his music, as it was the only means through which he was comfortable expressing himself, and it was all over his music from the beginning until the very end.. He essentially planned his own death, or so it seems.
    I never reflected over this before. When you describe it like that, his fate seems similar to Ian Curtis'. The lyrics were telling of his angst and torment, but not even his bandmates would take notice of them until he hanged himself.

    Also reminds me of Darby Crash of The Germs, who literally planned out his own suicide 5 years prior, partly as a way of cementing himself as a punk icon, and partly stemming from his obsession with David Bowie, whose song Five Years is about the world coming to an end in five years.

    The irony of it is that one reason why he did it was to be remembered, but by a cruel (and morbidly funny) twist of fate John Lennon was shot the day after he intentionally overdosed on heroin, overshadowing any attention his suicide could have gotten in the press.

    Not sure where it's from exactly.

    Probably a bootleg.
    Yup, it's called Tanworth-in-Arden II. Found it at the bay of pirates.


    Hey thanks. Takes one to know one.

    Have you heard Jackson C. Frank, Elliott Smith or The Microphones?

    The first two are sad singer/songwriters in the same vein as Nick Drake (Jackson C. Frank was an obvious influence on him), and The Microphones are kinda lo-fi fuzz folk (but more melancholic and bedroom recording-sounding) that any fan of Neutral Milk Hotel should be able to appreciate.

    If not, check out the records Jackson C. Frank, Either/Or and The Glow pt. 2, respectively.



    Also, do you have last.fm?

    PS: Pink Moon is probably his most genius song.
    One of them, at least.

  9. #39
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    I never reflected over this before. When you describe it like that, his fate seems similar to Ian Curtis'. The lyrics were telling of his angst and torment, but not even his bandmates would take notice of them until he hanged himself.
    I'm a big fan of Joy Division. Though I find it hard to relate Ian with Nick apart from the fact that they both killed themselves. I see them as two very different people who met the same unfortunate fate.

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Also reminds me of Darby Crash of The Germs, who literally planned out his own suicide 5 years prior, partly as a way of cementing himself as a punk icon, and partly stemming from his obsession with David Bowie, whose song Five Years is about the world coming to an end in five years.

    The irony of it is that one reason why he did it was to be remembered, but by a cruel (and morbidly funny) twist of fate John Lennon was shot the day after he intentionally overdosed on heroin, overshadowing any attention his suicide could have gotten in the press.
    Whoa, I did not know that. The John Lennon twist is interesting.. Life's strange that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Yup, it's called Tanworth-in-Arden II. Found it at the bay of pirates.
    Oh yeah, that's the one. I don't have it but I'm aware of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Have you heard Jackson C. Frank, Elliott Smith or The Microphones?
    I sure have heard of Jackson C. Frank, and Elliott. Not that last band though, but I will certainly check them out.

    I would place Jackson C. Frank in my top 3 favorite songwriters, for sure. What an interesting character, and it's funny, I was going to ask if you had heard of him too.

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    The Microphones are kinda lo-fi fuzz folk (but more melancholic and bedroom recording-sounding) that any fan of Neutral Milk Hotel should be able to appreciate.
    Relevant to my interests..

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    If not, check out The Glow pt. 2.
    Will do, thanks a lot!

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Also, do you have last.fm?
    I do not.

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    One of them, at least.
    Yeah.

    Thanks again!

  10. #40
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    I'm a big fan of Joy Division. I find it hard to relate Ian with Nick apart from the fact that they both killed themselves, though. Two very different people who met the same unfortunate fate.
    Just the fact that they both bared their pain in their music, but nobody listened until it was too late. Chalk it up to my Ne.


    Whoa, I did not know that. The John Lennon twist is interesting.. Life's strange that way.
    Yeah. I find it a great piece of (relatively obscure) music history.


    I sure have heard of Jackson C. Frank, and Elliott. Not that last band though, but I will.

    I would place Jackson C. Frank in my top 3 favorite songwriters, for sure. What an interesting character.
    I know a bit of his story, but nothing about his personality or character.

    Fantastic singer/songwriter though.


    Will do, thanks a lot!


    Thanks again!
    You're very welcome. Always cool to talk to and share music with fellow music aficionados.

Similar Threads

  1. [Other] What are your top 5 favorite artists (musical) off the top of your head?
    By Jstrazz in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-05-2017, 10:55 PM
  2. Types of your favorite artists
    By FunnyDigestion in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 06-24-2017, 04:29 PM
  3. Rank the tracks on your favorite album
    By Flâneuse in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 04:57 PM
  4. What are your favorite painters or graphic artists?
    By Red Herring in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 07:32 AM
  5. [INTJ] List your favorite artists or preferably the songs
    By Rex in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO