Thread: Bay Turtles

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

They didn't give me a free headband. I'm so disappointed.

I guess I should've attended the midnight screening to get one.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Loved it. Fuck the haters.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

My, my, my, where do I begin?

Um...I loved the turtles...and I wish I could've seen more of them in non-fighting scenes. The scenes where you see them interacting with each other were wonderful. I would've liked to see more of the backstory of them growing up as kids. I loved that the movie was lighthearted (because the gritty tone that's so common in movies these days is becoming way too cliche).

And honestly, the vfx were astounding. Both the turtles and Splinter are exactly what I would picture mutated turtles and rats would look like. They looked very realistic, but unfortunately, the direction gets in the way. All the wide-angle lenses, low-angled tracking shots, 360-degree shots, and, heaven forbid, VIRTUAL SHAKYCAM SHOTS!!!! I just wanted the camera to stop moving a little so that I could appreciate these sequences. It's painfully obvious that director Jonathan Liebesman was trying to emulate producer Michael Bay's style like Peter Berg did with Battleship, but even Michael Bay, in all his excess, knows when and when not to use them. Then again, there are a few scenes which seem to almost mock Bay's style, sometimes in very humorous ways.

The action scenes could have been spectacular if you could see what was going on, but as it stands, I would have rather the movie be completely about the turtles bantering with each other.

And Megan Fox was okay as April O'Neil, I guess. I don't really understand what the fuss is about Megan Fox...she just seems to be another good-looking bad-to-mediocre actress much like Halle Berry. But whatever...

The plot was naturally predictable and implausible, but thankfully, there were more things to focus on...like the turtles.

Seriously, the turtles looked like they belonged in a Christopher Nolan interpretation of the material...in fact, I could just see the casting call for certain characters: Morgan Freeman as Splinter, Cillian Murphy as Eric Sacks, Ellen Page as April, and Ken Watanabe as The Shredder.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    Um...I loved the turtles...and I wish I could've seen more of them in non-fighting scenes. The scenes where you see them interacting with each other were wonderful. I would've liked to see more of the backstory of them growing up as kids. I loved that the movie was lighthearted (because the gritty tone that's so common in movies these days is becoming way too cliche).

And honestly, the vfx were astounding. Both the turtles and Splinter are exactly what I would picture mutated turtles and rats would look like. They looked very realistic, but unfortunately, the direction gets in the way. All the wide-angle lenses, low-angled tracking shots, 360-degree shots, and, heaven forbid, VIRTUAL SHAKYCAM SHOTS!!!!
    Yeah, also all of this. For good and for bad.

3D movies are always a bit jarring to me (I keep making the mistake of seeing movies in 3D), and I wondered how much of the 'shaky-caminess' was due to that and how much to the actual direction. Part of the allure was that there was a bunch of stuff going on that wasn't quite discernible. Still, I'm gonna have to watch it in 2D sometime; counterintuitively, for me it might make it easier to see what the hell was going on.

I haven't seen any of the Transformers, Battleship, etc. type films. Is Shakycam par for the
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    And Megan Fox was okay as April O'Neil, I guess. I don't really understand what the fuss is about Megan Fox...she just seems to be another good-looking bad-to-mediocre actress much like Halle Berry. But whatever...
    I think there are about two or four things people like about Megan Fox.

I'm guessing Donatello looks like the cyborg?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Now that I think about, this movie would have been better as Boyhood with ninja turtles. Or a comedy-drama about the turtles trying to fit into the world, without all the action. Going off on a tangent, but my favorite scene in Transformers was when the robots are trying to hide from the parents at the Witwicky residence. A sequence like that could have been even better with turtles.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm far more excited watching the competition between it and Into the Storm as the worst movie.
    Both are at 20%, but the ratings are:

Turtles: 17 positive, 70 rotten
    Storm: 17 positive, 68 rotten

So technically, Turtles has more rotten reviews, lol.

I think they should join forces and make Turtlenado!!!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

The fuck is April brunette for?! >=(

There are already few enough red-headed ladies.. and Michael Bay really needs to get off of Megan Fox's nuts already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think they should join forces and make Turtlenado!!!
    Jeeeeeezus can I have that plz. I love terrible movies.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

I have a hunch this is going to be bad.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    I have a hunch this is going to be bad.
    Apparently, it's almost as good as Into the Storm!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft