• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the first book that ever made you cry?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For Deathly Hallows, the part I remember most--- I was reading in the car, and at the end of chapter 4 or 5, when there is an attack in the air and someone is hit-- I remember thinking it was Hagrid and shutting the book so fast because I couldn't stand to keep reading! Turned out to be Hedwig that was hit. (Much less traumatic when considering the alternatives, I think).

I agree. Still, I loved Hedwig. Such a wonderful owl... :heart:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi there! :happy:

This is a question I love asking :) In true teacher fashion, this was our discussion question at our last Happy Hour!!

What in God's name were you drinking that night?! :shock: :horror: :drunk:

What was the first book that made you cry? (or maybe gave you an extreme emotional reaction?)

I am honestly stumped by this question.
Initially I was going to be a smart ass and reply with something to the effect of "Whatever book actually forced me to sit still."
But after exploring my memory - I honestly don't have an answer - not right now anyway. :shrug:

My first was in 6th grade--- Where the Red Fern Grows.

Do you feel that the moment that occurred, that is the book's story compelling you to cry, was a milestone of emotional growth/human development for you?
Or is your interest in knowing more simply rooted in something along the lines of "personal trivia?"

The reason I ask is that I remember at age 12 I had developed what I now know as "empathy" and began to understand how simply "caring" for someone could ultimately lead to me experiencing the feelings of whatever sadness plagued their lives at that time. That was a big realization for me. However, I cannot associate with any reading I was doing at that time.

Cheers,

-Halla74

kyli_ryan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2wX
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you feel that the moment that occurred, that is the book's story compelling you to cry, was a milestone of emotional growth/human development for you?
Or is your interest in knowing more simply rooted in something along the lines of "personal trivia?"

The reason I ask is that I remember at age 12 I had developed what I now know as "empathy" and began to understand how simply "caring" for someone could ultimately lead to me experiencing the feelings of whatever sadness plagued their lives at that time. That was a big realization for me. However, I cannot associate with any reading I was doing at that time.

Cheers,

-Halla74

It was more along the lines of emotional development, yes. I'm interested how outside influences can effect this, particularly reading. I'm an English teacher (obviously), and I am a firm believer that reading makes you a better person :) By reading, I think we gain an understanding of others that we couldn't have otherwise. I work with so many kids who have NEVER read a book in completion before-- and I think that it shows in how they treat others around them. I'm interested in this interaction between literature and how we connect with the world.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think I've ever cried over a book. Some have made come very close. Among those:

Harry Potter- the one where Dobby dies
My Sister's Keeper
The Kite Runner
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Diary of Anne Frank

Odi et Amo

To here knows when...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Goodnight Moon made me cry. Rhythmic quietude...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty sure it was one I was forced to read for a book report.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury. I don't remember how old I was -- maybe 8 or 9? -- but my mom was reading it to me. I started sobbing at the end of "The Earth Men".

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
The only book I can immediately recall that made me cry was Les Miserables (at the death of Jean Valjean).

Movie-wise, I remember crying as a little boy watching The Last Unicorn.

wolfy

awsm
Never. I think Charlotte's Web made me sad though I can't remember the story at all. Is it a sad story?