• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your dreams ain't that hard to achieve

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Your dreams ain't that f*&%'n hard to achieve! Creative dreams I'm talking about, writing a book, a poem, dancing salsa, painting a picture, making a movie. They're not hard because people are doing them all over the world, all the time. Richard Linklater acknowledged in a recent interview I saw that even a small low budget movie is likely a huge personal challenge for the people involved. It is! I say this mostly for myself, because I need motivation. I let the whole of last year go by producing barely anything! I started out with such good intentions and how in hell did I let that slip by, a whole year! South Park is made in 6 days, and they do most of that in the last 24 hours! Last year passed me by! 365 days… I was busy, things seemed too insurmountable, I needed this first, I needed that then so much time went by and well if I hadn't done it by now what am I going to achieve with what's left? A lot, that's what, only I didn't. Fear was lurking, in the shadows, in the ink of my pen, in the lens of my camera, fear was the weight on my eyelids and in between the beats of my heart. Was the voice, laughing at whatever pitiful thing I dared to have the audacity to even think of, oh nice paragraph, nice page but you won't go back to it and actually DO anything with this work, it will fester and by the time you look at it again it will be riddled with so much doubt that you'll go back to watching and reading the work of others, with thoughts of being able to do better. What a joke. So I begin again, and this time that little poison weasel is is going to be crawling around in the depths of a pit while I stand on the top of a mountain with the gods of olympus. Nine days until the end of the month, how hard can it be to make a 2 minute short? I hear that wiry shadow remind me that in german nein is the sound for no. The way to get out of the quicksand is not to fight it, that only takes you under, you relax and give yourself over and with sand and dirt caked all over you, you can be proud that you beat death by being ready to let him win.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
My problem is perfectionism-paralysis. Whatever I as a novice can produce is nowhere near the quality of what seasoned professionals can produce, so I don't bother.

Then again, I took a step forward today by saying fuck it. I "wrote" 3 songs on guitar and recorded them to my smart phone, and I actually plan to put them in my music shuffle because I tend to like the music I create even though it is so rudimentary. These songs didn't actually have words, a verse, a chorus, or any structure. They were just mainly repetitions of a theme with slight variation every time... a little strumming of a chord, moving a couple fingers around to accentuate it a bit now and then. But I like it, so I did it.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Bingo! And that's all that matters.

I know exactly what you mean though.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem is not having the money for bad-ass special effects and onset pyrotechnics, not to mention lawyers, since I don't even have a license.

And do you know how much power it takes to render CG shots that don't look like crap? I'll give you a hint: You need more than a gaming PC with a 10-core CPU and 6 GPUs with 4 gigs of VRAM each.

And do you have any idea how much it would cost for hot girls to do nude scenes? Probably more than it would for them to just be nude when I'm in the room (without a camera). Filmmaking is expensive shit.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
The problem is not having the money for bad-ass special effects and onset pyrotechnics, not to mention lawyers, since I don't even have a license.

And do you know how much power it takes to render CG shots that don't look like crap? I'll give you a hint: You need more than a gaming PC with a 10-core CPU and 6 GPUs with 4 gigs of VRAM each.

And do you have any idea how much it would cost for hot girls to do nude scenes? Probably more than it would for them to just be nude when I'm in the room (without a camera). Filmmaking is expensive shit.

That's true, but there are low fi options or things that don't require as many FX, or any. You can also make something that represents what you want to make while you get funding.

Mole

Permabanned
Our dreams ain't (sic) that hard to achieve, but it is hard to wake up.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

Here's a long story short for you. It's about finnish indie film makers.

In 1992 they created this horrible animation with zero budget.

Many years and movies laters (in 2005) they released this, made with budget of 13k euros.

With the money made by previous film, and with successful crowd-funding they created this one in 2012 (budget 7.5 million euros):

And now they have doubled the budget for their next project:

So yeah, they made a career for themselves by themselves from very humble beginning.