User Tag List

12 Last

Riva

Default Rant about TV shows and Movies thread

Those TV shows you love that went on a downward spiral or had disappointing endings and movies that built up your expectations but didn't deliver.

If you are too bored to rant just mention those shows (if any) or movies (if any) that disappointed you.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

"This is the end" was pretty bad. I had high expectations for this movie, but I had to turn it down around the middle because it was just getting dumber.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

The Golden Compass
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385752/
    I got pretty excited for it, though I realize I shouldn't have raised my expectations. Daniel Craig as Lord Asriel seemed like a pretty good move, and, deep down, I just really wanted a book series I loved to get an adequate film representation. That it was to be a kids film I was prepared to accept, but not a mediocre kids film at that, and I still wish that the dark materials trilogy would receive a grittier retelling more aimed at young adults and adults. In the end this interpration just left me bored. Light on themes and even, somehow, on immersive world building.

Resident Evil Revelations PC version
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/re...il-revelations
    Not film or TV, but screw yall rules. I really wanted to love this game as I've been a pretty huge fan of both the older, scarier, resident evils and the newer, more action packed outings. Anything up to and including Resi 5 I've loved, really. Unfortunately this latest outing, while preferable in game-play to the disastrous resident evil 6 lightens the action features that made resi 4 and 5 a success, while never really truly reinstating the horror features that defined the earliest resi games. The result is a somewhat ineffectual mulch of resident evil history that inexplicably removes some of the series' best features while keeping some of its worst. Even this I could have enjoyed, but the last straw were the scripts and costumes for the female characters in the game.

Each being an immersion breaking slap in the face. And this is coupled with a script in which most of the female characters consistently were either hitting on or seeking the approval of their male counterparts. It just felt condescending, inauthentic, and incredibly childish. Video games are bad for sexism but this game was a tour de force of the male gaze. I felt alienated enough to stop playing and I don't think I'll go back to the series until they buck up their ideas.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Then again, it's Resident Evil. What are the expectations?

////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\////\\\\\/////\\\\\/////\\\\\

The whole "Revolution" TV show (at least Season 1) was a great idea with poor execution... and it was a step up from "Terra Nova" (which was another potentially great series that became a bottom feeder).

Then again, "Once Upon a Time" is a TV show I want to like but have only managed to watch 1.5 seasons of because it was just directed at 12-14 year old girls as the demographic. I'll stick with Bill Willingham's "Fables," thanks so much.

And finally NetFlix's "Hemlock Grove," which had some interesting ideas but also terrible execution, dramatic arc, and (in some cases like "the wig") terrible props. The actors I think had the chops for more, but the writers and direction let them down. I was surprised to hear they had been picked up for another season (if I heard right).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    esfj
    Enneagram
    3w8

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And finally NetFlix's "Hemlock Grove," which had some interesting ideas but also terrible execution, dramatic arc, and (in some cases like "the wig") terrible props. The actors I think had the chops for more, but the writers and direction let them down. I was surprised to hear they had been picked up for another season (if I heard right).
    I fucking love Hemlock Grove.

The wig is symbolic: Shelley is so ignored and devalued by her mother that she has nothing but a cheap wig.

Alternatively, she is re-animated, so her body might reject more complicated forms of aesthetic improvements, by way of hair grafts, for example.

What other complaints have you?
    3w2 6w7 8w7
    3w2 6w7 8w7

3w2 6w7 8w7

"Verbally adept and a good reader of people and situations, you have the ability to identify unjust authority, rebel against tyranny and verbally spar against it."

"The 368 is very dynamic. This is the toughest fighter on the Enneagram."

The Justice Fighter

3w2 6w7 8w7
    3w2 6w7 8w7

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

How I Met Your Mother. I mean, is there even anything to say?!

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

They need more light bulbs on the set of Copper. I'm watching season 1 on DVD and the lighting for the night scenes is non-existent. I know it takes place after the Civil War and light bulbs weren't invented, but come-on. Half the scenes take place at night.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

Welp, they're bringing Heroes back, and that show was one hell of a train wreck when it ended. The first season was one of my all time favorites. I watched all of that shit that followed though. One disappointment after another.

And it's not really a let down since I never had hopes for it, but The Big Bang Theory is really disappointingly awful for how much hype and love it gets.
    5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

Elfen Lied.

Just.

So.

Much...

...just yes.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by the resident View Post
    I fucking love Hemlock Grove.

The wig is symbolic: Shelley is so ignored and devalued by her mother that she has nothing but a cheap wig.

Alternatively, she is re-animated, so her body might reject more complicated forms of aesthetic improvements, by way of hair grafts, for example.

What other complaints have you?
    Uhhhh.... I wasn't talking about Shelley. I didn't think I had to specify what The Wig was.

Biggest gripe is that such a talented cast of actors was completely wasted due to the inept execution (writing and direction). I've skimmed through the book by McGeevy and it actually seems like it might work on the page, tone-wise; but this show tries to pretend to be edgy and dramatically meaningful like others of its kind (X-Files, Fringe, Walking Dead, etc) while never finding a voice that allows itself to be taken seriously or a way to bring real depth to its characters. It is consistently considered the worst of the NetFlix offerings, as bad as the others are good, and it was one of my largest disappointments of the season.

http://whatjennysaw.wordpress.com/20...hemlock-grove/

I probably wouldn't be so pissed at the waste, if I hadn't seen some rich potential here in ideas and cast.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft