• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Wolf of Wall Street

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Not sure anyone else has seen this, but once you have, I'd be very interested in discussing it with you here.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw it yesterday. In short, it was one of the best movies of the year, and I'm not one of those asshat critics saying that because it's Scorsese, nor do I believe that Scorsese can't make a bad movie (see Gangs of New York and Shutter Island). Usually when I walk into a three-hour movie, I assume that the filmmakers cut costs and so decided not to hire an editor. As a result, I'm left with not just an epic, but an epic snorefest. Thank God The Wolf of Wall Street used its running time wisely. This was a well-paced and highly entertaining piece of filmmaking that was often very funny.

I won't go as far as saying Wolf is Marty's best movie, but dammit, Leonardo DiCaprio is long overdue for an Oscar. I'm serious, the guy is one of my favorite actors.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read the book (which was pretty awesome), so my expectations are probably higher than they should be. Planning to watch the movie next month.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
GONY was one of the worst examples of three-hour movies that have no editors...and the worst part about it? It wasn't even three hours long.

"Nominated for 10 Oscars" - IMDB

There should be a cut version of WotWS because they didn't want to get Rated R or something. I think it was about half an hour of material.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
It was great. But not as great as it could have been.

The movie started to drag for me at about 2.5 hrs.

The scene of Jordan (Leo) dealing with the Lemmons kicking in is one of the best examples of physical comedy I have ever seen.

The performances were great. This was maybe Leo's best performance to date.

I feel it would have been a better film if it had included more of Jordan's pre and post wall street life to give it context.

Even for me sex, drugs, and parties get old after a while. Although given Scorsese's battles with addiction I can understand why he focuses on that aspect of it to the extent that he does.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was alright. Definitely should have been shorter, and didn't feel original to me. It just seemed like elements of a bunch of movies I've already seen thrown together trying to produce as much shock value as possible. But it was still pretty entertaining. Leo was good. Actually Jonah Hill might have been the funniest part.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just watched it. Wow, very entertaining. Quite like the story narrated in the book, and I've never seen a movie that explicit in mainstream cinema.

Perhaps that's a new trend? Nymphomaniac seems to have a similar level of obscenity, but I don't know much to tell. I must say I enjoy it.

I feel like some parts were dumbed down... The Swiss guy who's an expert in banking system was far more brilliant (in a criminous way) in the book, and the way he explained the concept of plausible deniability and how it applied to what Belfort wanted was very cunning. There were a lot of interesting details involving stock options after the Steve Madden IPO... In the movie it was just like 'we made 20+ millions in 3 hours', but I feel like the details would've made things much more interesting to someone with intermediate or superior knowledge on markets.

A scene that was probably cut on purpose involved one of Belfort's associates making an anti-gay speech in Stratton Oakmont, which initiated the equivalent of a witch hunt. That was probably for the best.

Baltar

MBTI Type
INTP
Did the part where he rapes his wife bother anyone else? I thought it was entertaining and well-made but
somewhat exploitative. Overall, I thought if was a middling film for Scorcese, when he was always hit-or-miss
before.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another movie I'd recommend that is similar to this one is Pain & Gain. Also a very funny movie.