User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default ATLAS SHRUGGED: Does it suck or is it better than Mendeleev's Beard??

This thread's about the novel by Ayn Rand. So where do you come on the spectrum? I think it sucks myself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

It is my favourite book ever. Ayn Rand is not only a wonderful writer, but a wonderful philosopher. Atlas Shrugged is the perfect mix between good characterization, intriguing plot and philosophy. I cried several times while reading it. I guess the reason I loved it so much was because a majour theme was value and worth, which is how I view the entire world--in terms of the value or worth of it. I love Dagny Taggart and I wish I were her because she only associates with things that are of worth to her and I admire that because so many times I am surrounded by garbage just because I'm too lazy to take action. That's okay if you don't like it, obviously. I don't understand how anyone could not absolutely love it, but to each his own.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I want to read so I can be justified in my hatred. I can't justify hating something I haven't read.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    It is my favourite book ever. Ayn Rand is not only a wonderful writer, but a wonderful philosopher. Atlas Shrugged is the perfect mix between good characterization, intriguing plot and philosophy. I cried several times while reading it. I guess the reason I loved it so much was because a majour theme was value and worth, which is how I view the entire world--in terms of the value or worth of it. I love Dagny Taggart and I wish I were her because she only associates with things that are of worth to her and I admire that because so many times I am surrounded by garbage just because I'm too lazy to take action. That's okay if you don't like it, obviously. I don't understand how anyone could not absolutely love it, but to each his own.
    Thanks for replying. We do disagree haha.

Good characterization? There were only basic three kinds of people in this book - 1. People like Taggart, who share exactly or nearly exactly the same views as she does. - 2. People who do whatever Taggart says. - 3. People who don't agree with her, who are of course all idiots/misguided. So Ayn Rand is hardly George Eliot at characters haha!

Doesn't everyone only "associate with things that are of worth to them"? Be a bit boring not to.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I want to read so I can be justified in my hatred. I can't justify hating something I haven't read.
    Haha ok. Why do you hate it if you haven't read it?

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
    Haha ok. Why do you hate it if you haven't read it?

I think I would hate it because the philosophy sounds like self-absorbed hogwash. I also don't like stories where everyone who doesn't agree with the protagonist is a bad guy or something. The world doesn't work that way. People who like to turn morality on it's head also kind of roll my eyes, because they usually still complain whenever someone ends up screwing them over. I think of the nihilists in the Big Lebowski.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
    Thanks for replying. We do disagree haha.

Good characterization? There were only basic three kinds of people in this book - 1. People like Taggart, who share exactly or nearly exactly the same views as she does. - 2. People who do whatever Taggart says. - 3. People who don't agree with her, who are of course all idiots/misguided. So Ayn Rand is hardly George Eliot at characters haha!

Doesn't everyone only "associate with things that are of worth to them"? Be a bit boring not to.
    That's what made them great. She simplified every person down to how they fit into her philosophy and made them each be as integrit (I know it's not a word, but it should be) as possible. Each character only served as a device to her ideals. What I think made them so great is how the good characters were good and the bad characters were bad. There was barely any "believability" in that the good characters had flaws and the bad ones had good traits. It's definitely not realistic by any means, but reality isn't ideal.

It's more than that though. Dagny denounced everything that was worthless instead of just tolerating it or being passive-aggressive.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

I think I would hate it because the philosophy sounds like self-absorbed hogwash. I also don't like stories where everyone who doesn't agree with the protagonist is a bad guy or something. The world doesn't work that way.
    That's not a very fair approach to a book you've never read before. If you don't give it a chance, of course you'll hate it.
    Just because the world doesn't work that way doesn't mean it shouldn't work that way.

"I also don't like stories where everyone who doesn't agree with the protagonist is a bad guy or something."
    Isn't that true of the world though? There is one absolute truth and whether Ayn Rand has found it or not, she is submitting to the fact that there is good and evil and people are either good or evil. She gets so much hate for being bold enough to denounce what she hates. I admire her courage in being so blatantly against what she believes is evil.
    Every other author cowers behind literary devices that leave things open for interpretation or whatnot and they don't truly take a firm stance as greatly as Ayn Rand does.

MBTI
    ENTP

I think I would hate it because the philosophy sounds like self-absorbed hogwash. I also don't like stories where everyone who doesn't agree with the protagonist is a bad guy or something. The world doesn't work that way.
    Haha yeah, I'm the same. You probably won't like this then.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    That's what made them great. She simplified every person down to how they fit into her philosophy and made them each be as integrit (I know it's not a word, but it should be) as possible. Each character only served as a device to her ideals. What I think made them so great is how the good characters were good and the bad characters were bad. There was barely any "believability" in that the good characters had flaws and the bad ones had good traits. It's definitely not realistic by any means, but reality isn't ideal.

It's more than that though. Dagny denounced everything that was worthless instead of just tolerating it or being passive-aggressive.
    I can see what you mean. I think for me though, having realistic like-able characters (sometimes they don't need to be like-able if very realistic or interesting, like if they're a psychopath or something) is one of the most enjoyable parts of reading books.

I didn't really get that. Who is she to decide what's worthless or has value?