User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 62

  1. #51
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Two years for one chapter? Did she use Egyptian hieroglyphs and carve out each character? I kid.
    It was hand-written.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    What's amazing about the book is the fact that all the weasels portrayed actually do exist. All the corruption, incompetence, the cultural rot, and the destruction of the human spirit (from being dependent on the government) is coming to pass. We are witnesses to the beginnings of the world described in the book. If I had read the book in the 80s, I would have concluded that Rand was paranoid and just wrong, but I read the book in 2010 and she's absolutely right about the dangers of collectivism.
    Objectivism is largely a Jewish socio-economic movement. If you look at it closely enough, particularly in its fictional-symbolic form, you will find presages of the messiah and the new Jerusalem.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #52
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Not counting the scratched out sentences that didn't make it to publication, this rough draft basically says "...if, like them, you come to think that one's highest values are not to be attained and one's greatest vision is not to be made real—don't damn this earth, as they did, don't damn existence. You have seen the Atlantis they were seeking, it is here, it exists—but one must enter it naked..."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #53
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    I actually liked it, at the very least because the idea and the premise it went on was very different than what I would normally expect to read in that subject. Most of the time when it comes to stories about the rich/poor dynamic, the rich are always depicted as these ruthlessly evil people who are trying to squeeze every ounce of life out of you and th workers inevitably have to go on strike just to be able to feed their families and pay the bills.

    I felt it was refreshing to switch that equation around. I don't know how much that would actually play out in real life but it was an interesting story to explore in that respect.

    Also, while I don't consider myself an Objectivist by any means, there were many values that she espoused that I actually really liked and still hold to to this day.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  4. #54
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I actually liked it, at the very least because the idea and the premise it went on was very different than what I would normally expect to read in that subject. Most of the time when it comes to stories about the rich/poor dynamic, the rich are always depicted as these ruthlessly evil people who are trying to squeeze every ounce of life out of you and th workers inevitably have to go on strike just to be able to feed their families and pay the bills.

    I felt it was refreshing to switch that equation around. I don't know how much that would actually play out in real life but it was an interesting story to explore in that respect.

    Also, while I don't consider myself an Objectivist by any means, there were many values that she espoused that I actually really liked and still hold to to this day.
    But is it the best book you've ever read?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #55
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    But is it the best book you've ever read?
    No. It is however better than Mandeleev's beard, which is saying something because that was a very manly beard.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  6. #56
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    No. It is however better than Mandeleev's beard, which is saying something because that was a very manly beard.
    What does an unmanly beard look like?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  7. #57
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    What does an unmanly beard look like?
    I'd say the ones I try and grow would fit that classification: Like a beard that's incomplete and looks bad. A beard that wants to be a beard but hasn't done enough push ups to get there.

    Hence, why I keep a clean shaven face. I can't pull off facial hair
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  8. #58
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #59
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Way too in-your-face for my taste. A book that treads me like an idiot is not going to earn my appreciation. Before trying to read Atlas Shrugged, I had found Ayn Rand interesting. Not anymore.

  10. #60
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Way too in-your-face for my taste. A book that treads me like an idiot is not going to earn my appreciation. Before trying to read Atlas Shrugged, I had found Ayn Rand interesting. Not anymore.
    Yes, she wonks and wonks on certain themes and sounds like an omniscient goddess.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 02:12 PM
  2. is God sadistic??? Or is it just me?
    By targobelle in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
  3. where does Types come from? is it really a 'mystery' or 'God-given' ?
    By niki in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 04:28 PM
  4. [MBTItm] How to spot an ESFJ? Or is it ESTJ? Or is it E___?
    By CzeCze in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 09:50 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO