First 4567 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Two years for one chapter? Did she use Egyptian hieroglyphs and carve out each character? I kid.
    It was hand-written.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    What's amazing about the book is the fact that all the weasels portrayed actually do exist. All the corruption, incompetence, the cultural rot, and the destruction of the human spirit (from being dependent on the government) is coming to pass. We are witnesses to the beginnings of the world described in the book. If I had read the book in the 80s, I would have concluded that Rand was paranoid and just wrong, but I read the book in 2010 and she's absolutely right about the dangers of collectivism.
    Objectivism is largely a Jewish socio-economic movement. If you look at it closely enough, particularly in its fictional-symbolic form, you will find presages of the messiah and the new Jerusalem.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Not counting the scratched out sentences that didn't make it to publication, this rough draft basically says "...if, like them, you come to think that one's highest values are not to be attained and one's greatest vision is not to be made real—don't damn this earth, as they did, don't damn existence. You have seen the Atlantis they were seeking, it is here, it exists—but one must enter it naked..."

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I actually liked it, at the very least because the idea and the premise it went on was very different than what I would normally expect to read in that subject. Most of the time when it comes to stories about the rich/poor dynamic, the rich are always depicted as these ruthlessly evil people who are trying to squeeze every ounce of life out of you and th workers inevitably have to go on strike just to be able to feed their families and pay the bills.

I felt it was refreshing to switch that equation around. I don't know how much that would actually play out in real life but it was an interesting story to explore in that respect.

Also, while I don't consider myself an Objectivist by any means, there were many values that she espoused that I actually really liked and still hold to to this day.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I actually liked it, at the very least because the idea and the premise it went on was very different than what I would normally expect to read in that subject. Most of the time when it comes to stories about the rich/poor dynamic, the rich are always depicted as these ruthlessly evil people who are trying to squeeze every ounce of life out of you and th workers inevitably have to go on strike just to be able to feed their families and pay the bills.

I felt it was refreshing to switch that equation around. I don't know how much that would actually play out in real life but it was an interesting story to explore in that respect.

Also, while I don't consider myself an Objectivist by any means, there were many values that she espoused that I actually really liked and still hold to to this day.
    But is it the best book you've ever read?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    But is it the best book you've ever read?
    No. It is however better than Mandeleev's beard, which is saying something because that was a very manly beard.
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    No. It is however better than Mandeleev's beard, which is saying something because that was a very manly beard.
    What does an unmanly beard look like?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    What does an unmanly beard look like?
    I'd say the ones I try and grow would fit that classification: Like a beard that's incomplete and looks bad. A beard that wants to be a beard but hasn't done enough push ups to get there.

Hence, why I keep a clean shaven face. I can't pull off facial hair
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Way too in-your-face for my taste. A book that treads me like an idiot is not going to earn my appreciation. Before trying to read Atlas Shrugged, I had found Ayn Rand interesting. Not anymore.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Way too in-your-face for my taste. A book that treads me like an idiot is not going to earn my appreciation. Before trying to read Atlas Shrugged, I had found Ayn Rand interesting. Not anymore.
    Yes, she wonks and wonks on certain themes and sounds like an omniscient goddess.