First 34567 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Good read, but a bit repetitive and long. She tends to make the same point over and over again.

I suspect the John Galt speech might be the longest rant in literature. Someone told me that the audio version of the rant was 2 hours long.
    How long did it take to write?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

That's what I thought.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
    This thread's about the novel by Ayn Rand. So where do you come on the spectrum? I think it sucks myself.
    I believe I have read all of her books and liked this one the least. I recall reading it on the train to and from work every day. It seemed extremely tedious to get through. I'm sure it's good. It just doesn't match my tastes.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I believe I have read all of her books and liked this one the least. I recall reading it on the train to and from work every day. It seemed extremely tedious to get through. I'm sure it's good. It just doesn't match my tastes.
    You say you have read all her books. Can you rate them for us on a scale of best to worst?

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345
    How long did it take to write?
    There are 1607 lines to that chapter in my ebook file with an average word count of about 15 words/line (24,000 words). If she typed at 60 wpm, it would have taken her 400 minutes or roughly 6.6 hours, if she typed continuosly. I'm not sure if she's the Stephen King or the George RR Martin type of writer, so I can't answer the question, but it's probably somewhere between 7 hours and 700 hours.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    There are 1607 lines to that chapter in my ebook file with an average word count of about 15 words/line (24,000 words). If she typed at 60 wpm, it would have taken her 400 minutes or roughly 6.6 hours, if she typed continuosly. I'm not sure if she's the Stephen King or the George RR Martin type of writer, so I can't answer the question, but it's probably somewhere between 7 hours and 700 hours.
    Two years.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    You say you have read all her books. Can you rate them for us on a scale of best to worst?
    Maybe I should correct that to say I read all the fiction and novels. I liked Fountainhead and Anthem.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Two years for one chapter? Did she use Egyptian hieroglyphs and carve out each character? I kid.

What's amazing about the book is the fact that all the weasels portrayed actually do exist. All the corruption, incompetence, the cultural rot, and the destruction of the human spirit (from being dependent on the government) is coming to pass. We are witnesses to the beginnings of the world described in the book. If I had read the book in the 80s, I would have concluded that Rand was paranoid and just wrong, but I read the book in 2010 and she's absolutely right about the dangers of collectivism.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
    Then don't you mean "pain" and "stupidity" are the worst things ever? It's not just communism that makes those.
    Pain and stupidity are timeless. Communism is not, which makes it able to be the worst thing ever. Like, how good or bad something is is measured by how much pain and stupidity it causes. I wouldn't say "temperature is the hottest thing ever."

Then again, now I'm thinking religion might win this fight.

But if you really boil it down, it's all a question of power. Communism and religion have that in common. When you get a small number of people making decisions over a large number of people, atrocity follows. Simple recipe. If I don't know anything about economics but I think high prices are unfair, I can say "gasoline from now on will be a dollar a gallon. It is illegal to charge more than a dollar for a gallon of gas." That's well-intentioned, but will gas even be profitable to produce anymore? No. Either that or people will buy it all up immediately and there will be a massive shortage. So guess what? You have to force people to continue to make it even though it isn't profitable. And you have to tell people they only get to buy a certain amount (but who needs how much? Can you say "favoritism"?). Now translate this into an entire economy, and you have an insane rube goldberg machine which amounts to straight up slavery and 100% chance of a thriving black market that is only slightly less corrupt than the state itself.

^Which is exactly what happens in Atlas Shrugged AND real communism.

Or you could just let the market call the shots. Ya know.

MBTI
    INTP

By the way, Atlas Shrugged and Animal Farm (and to a lesser extent 1984) are basically the same book. The difference is, Atlas Shrugged is more in-your-face and it declares an alternative, which gives people the ability to disagree. Animal Farm is like "shit this is hopeless the world is fucked. End."