• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Godzilla 2014 - WOW!!!

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
But....but...where was Matthew Broderick?

Perhaps he's having a day off....

G

Ginkgo

:thumbup:

Things to note -

This movie focuses on the victims in the midst of chaos, not the monster. (Raising expectations)

From the looks of the trailer, it seems as though Godzilla poses an actual nuclear threat.

As a throwback to the original "Gojira", "Godzilla" will emphasize the consequences of nuclear power with an actual Godzilla instead of a giant velociraptor with Down's Syndrome.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
as long as p diddy covers zep for the closing credits song i still have faith in the franchise.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm intrigued, definitely want to see!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oooh, are we going to find out what happened to those eggs under Madison Square Garden?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was a little worried by the teaser poster (the one with the tail), because isn't this the same advertising strategy Emmerich and Devlin used with theirs?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw Godzilla today in IMAX 3D.

General impression:
- The only point to this movie is watching Godzilla and the kaiju battle. Those are also the high points of the movie. Too bad they keep holding back on us.
- EVERYTHING IS SO BIG!!! AND LOUD!!! AND BIG!!!!
- I've never seen so many talented actors wasted in a movie before. Srsly? The whole movie might as well have been no-namers.
- Plot and characterization and drama is thin.
- Since the only point to this movie is loud monster-on-monster action, see it in the theater or not at all. If you're not into monsters fighting, don't bother.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have to say I was disappointed. I gave it a solid B, but I was expecting more. The main thing I couldn't stand was the handheld camera; it felt like Cloverfield, and this filming technique works for Cloverfield but not for this movie.

Say what you want about the Emmerich movie, but there is no doubt that it felt more like an epic than this one, and the characters were more entertaining...there's nothing remotely interesting about Kick-Ass and not-Dennis Quaid in this movie. Matthew Broderick always manages to bring awkward charm in his roles no matter how shit the rest of the movie is, as do the cast of The Simpsons.

Needless to say, Gareth Edwards' film had a better Godzilla design, though like the Emmerich version (as well as Pacific Rim), most of the creature shots are obscured by night, rain, or dust, and considering this movie is 16 years older, I think they should've taken more risks with the CGI.

But I was expecting Godzilla to out-Pacific Rim Pacific Rim, and to that end, I was disappointed.

And I didn't get a trailer for either Transformers 4 or Interstellar, so I was stuck watching those on YouTube.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That sucked for you -- they ran trailers both for Interstellar and Edge of Tomorrow in my theater.
I'm kind of excited about Interstellar.
Edge of Tomorrow looks like it might be a fun action movie.

But yeah, when I said the greatest part of Godzilla was the "bigness" of things... that's about all.
Pacific Rim made an effort at backstory and characterization; Godzilla here was just pretty formless and flat.
THe movie is about 20-25 minutes of some cool monster fighting / monsters trashing things, and the rest is bland filler.

Elizabeth Olsen is a great emoter, she makes even the most cliche things feel real... and she couldn't really salvage anything here.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
THe movie is about 20-25 minutes of some cool monster fighting / monsters trashing things, and the rest is bland filler.

Best to wait for Transformers 4 for cool two-hour-long fight sequences...with Marky Mark as the filler.

And you're not gonna believe this, but Cillian Murphy is not in Interstellar. When was the last time that happened in a Christopher Nolan picture?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Best to wait for Transformers 4 for cool two-hour-long fight sequences...with Marky Mark as the filler.

And you're not gonna believe this, but Cillian Murphy is not in Interstellar. When was the last time that happened in a Christopher Nolan picture?

Looks like Michael Caine couldn't stay away though.

buddy2eyes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Human-side characters and their drama were disappointed. Only first half, Joe Brody (Bryan Cranston)'s part was really great. Sadly, others couldn't make that impression like what him did.
It was like Bryan script was 50%, left the rest for each other characters those have to spend their place for the monsters as well...Meh
Gareth Edward's directing skill should have be more developed. Now he has a chance to do it again in the next sequel.

I won't compare Godzilla to Pacific Rim because they're different genre (Pacific Rim is action, heroic theme while Godzilla is based on real world and more drama thriller)
Well, I still love this movie though because my king has came back! :) But there are many bad point that I'd like to criticize, LOL~

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I still love this movie though because my king has came back! :)

Yeah, I don't want to put Godzilla (the monster) down at all.

When he was actually on screen, he was freaking ginormous and totally badass.
That whole "breathing blue fire" crap was insane.