User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 89

  1. #1
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default Not Liking Something Because It's Popular

    UGH that bugs me a lot when people are kinda smug about how they don't like Hunger Games or something like that because it's popular, as though they are superior in some way. Obviously if you legitimately don't like it as music or as art or cinema, because you find it poorly produced or you don't like the aesthetic or message or whatnot... that's one thing. But just BECAUSE lots of other people like it, that's so pretentious and annoying.

    I guess it's just a rant thread.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  2. #2
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    UGH that bugs me a lot when people are kinda smug about how they don't like Hunger Games or something like that because it's popular, as though they are superior in some way. Obviously if you legitimately don't like it as music or as art or cinema, because you find it poorly produced or you don't like the aesthetic or message or whatnot... that's one thing. But just BECAUSE lots of other people like it, that's so pretentious and annoying.

    I guess it's just a rant thread.
    Holy shit, gromit, you just posted another reason why I love you. The other day, my pretentious ex-roommate was spouting forth on facebook about how "allergic" she is to bestsellers and how her eyes will "never graze the Hunger Games" and some such bs. It was so annoying. I got all worked up about it too, haha.

  3. #3
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,776

    Default

    people should be like me and have no clue what is or isn't popular then there wouldn't be this problem. you should declare me god and I will make it so

  4. #4
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,432

    Default

    Could not agree with you guys more.

    *joins in the rant*

    For God's sake, like something because you LIKE it!! Good quality is good quality -- and isn't the world better for it, if more people like good art? Don't you want people to enjoy things that are high quality?

    People who think like that really need to get off their high horse, and/or stop overcompensating so damn much.

    (This is why I get mad whenever people call me a hipster -- which happens fairly frequently.)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  5. #5
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,737

    Default

    Yeah, I hate that vapid, elitist crap.

    This is why I never stopped buying my damn Converse sneakers I've worn since I was a kid.. I don't care who likes them or dislikes them.. they're going on MY feet. Ey, if they're popular, maybe they'll be cheaper to replace sometime (sales or some shit? /shrug). &/or easier to find.

    What's the point in owning anything if you don't genuinely like it? Why allow "trends" to ruin something that you enjoy? Seems petty.

    People's tastes have no bearing on my own one way or the other, & I'm not sure why it should. My brain doesn't work that way, I guess.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  6. #6
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Holy shit, gromit, you just posted another reason why I love you. The other day, my pretentious ex-roommate was spouting forth on facebook about how "allergic" she is to bestsellers and how her eyes will "never graze the Hunger Games" and some such bs. It was so annoying. I got all worked up about it too, haha.
    Yes exactly. The example that prompted it for me was a housemate interaction as well. We watched the first movie last week and he was surprised that he actually thought it was good. I was like YES THERE'S A REASON LOTS OF PEOPLE WATCH IT.



    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    people should be like me and have no clue what is or isn't popular then there wouldn't be this problem. you should declare me god and I will make it so
    Ah such a simple solution...

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Could not agree with you guys more.

    *joins in the rant*

    For God's sake, like something because you LIKE it!! Good quality is good quality -- and isn't the world better for it, if more people like good art? Don't you want people to enjoy things that are high quality?

    People who think like that really need to get off their high horse, and/or stop overcompensating so damn much.

    (This is why I get mad whenever people call me a hipster -- which happens fairly frequently.)
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  7. #7
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    I don't like using the popular tool to achieve a means.

    Video games come to mind. I will use the least played class, for a multitude of reasons.

    There are other places this type of thought crops itself up in my mind. Nothing I can think of at the moment.

  8. #8
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    UGH that bugs me a lot when people are kinda smug about how they don't like Hunger Games or something like that because it's popular, as though they are superior in some way. Obviously if you legitimately don't like it as music or as art or cinema, because you find it poorly produced or you don't like the aesthetic or message or whatnot... that's one thing. But just BECAUSE lots of other people like it, that's so pretentious and annoying.

    I guess it's just a rant thread.
    OMG, yes! I hate this, too!! This one girl I knew, I think she was an ISFP 6w7, refused to like Harry Potter for that reason, and said it was predictable. Screw her! Of course when the last movies were coming out and all our friends were hyping up about it, she caved and gave in to the fever of it all.

    Another time, I had just finished watching Australia (the movie with Nicole Kidman) and was telling her about some part of it. Her response was, "Oh... sounds like a movie my mom would probably like." F*ck you, too!

    Pretty much any movie that is popular: even Inception, she hates on. Just to be that guy.

    Not liking something just because it is popular is just as bad as liking something only because it is popular.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  9. #9
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Why allow "trends" to ruin something that you enjoy? Seems petty.
    Exactly. It's just the flip side of people who feel they must stop enjoying something they like because it's no longer cool...





    edit: yeah like what IAJ said above

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    Not liking something just because it is popular is just as bad as liking something only because it is popular.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  10. #10
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    I don't like using the popular tool to achieve a means.

    Video games come to mind. I will use the least played class, for a multitude of reasons.

    There are other places this type of thought crops itself up in my mind. Nothing I can think of at the moment.
    For the challenge? Or am I not understanding you properly? I don't think I've played enough video games to understand what a class is.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] NF, How Are You NOT Like Your Type Description?
    By SquirrelTao in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 08-27-2017, 05:28 PM
  2. There's gonna be a revolution, and it's not gonna be because of me
    By prplchknz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-17-2013, 10:24 PM
  3. [MBTItm] im not sure what is it about people who want power, like control that just makes me
    By jcloudz in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 10:23 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Doesn't this sound like something only a NF would say?
    By Sniffles in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO