• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Not Liking Something Because It's Popular

gromit

likes this
UGH that bugs me a lot when people are kinda smug about how they don't like Hunger Games or something like that because it's popular, as though they are superior in some way. Obviously if you legitimately don't like it as music or as art or cinema, because you find it poorly produced or you don't like the aesthetic or message or whatnot... that's one thing. But just BECAUSE lots of other people like it, that's so pretentious and annoying.

I guess it's just a rant thread.

UGH that bugs me a lot when people are kinda smug about how they don't like Hunger Games or something like that because it's popular, as though they are superior in some way. Obviously if you legitimately don't like it as music or as art or cinema, because you find it poorly produced or you don't like the aesthetic or message or whatnot... that's one thing. But just BECAUSE lots of other people like it, that's so pretentious and annoying.

Holy shit, gromit, you just posted another reason why I love you. The other day, my pretentious ex-roommate was spouting forth on facebook about how "allergic" she is to bestsellers and how her eyes will "never graze the Hunger Games" and some such bs. It was so annoying. I got all worked up about it too, haha.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
people should be like me and have no clue what is or isn't popular then there wouldn't be this problem. you should declare me god and I will make it so

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Could not agree with you guys more.

*joins in the rant*

For God's sake, like something because you LIKE it!! Good quality is good quality -- and isn't the world better for it, if more people like good art? Don't you want people to enjoy things that are high quality?

People who think like that really need to get off their high horse, and/or stop overcompensating so damn much.

(This is why I get mad whenever people call me a hipster -- which happens fairly frequently.)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I hate that vapid, elitist crap.

This is why I never stopped buying my damn Converse sneakers I've worn since I was a kid.. I don't care who likes them or dislikes them.. they're going on MY feet. Ey, if they're popular, maybe they'll be cheaper to replace sometime (sales or some shit? /shrug). &/or easier to find.

What's the point in owning anything if you don't genuinely like it? Why allow "trends" to ruin something that you enjoy? Seems petty.

People's tastes have no bearing on my own one way or the other, & I'm not sure why it should. My brain doesn't work that way, I guess.

gromit

likes this
Holy shit, gromit, you just posted another reason why I love you. The other day, my pretentious ex-roommate was spouting forth on facebook about how "allergic" she is to bestsellers and how her eyes will "never graze the Hunger Games" and some such bs. It was so annoying. I got all worked up about it too, haha.

Yes exactly. The example that prompted it for me was a housemate interaction as well. We watched the first movie last week and he was surprised that he actually thought it was good. I was like YES THERE'S A REASON LOTS OF PEOPLE WATCH IT.

:doh:

people should be like me and have no clue what is or isn't popular then there wouldn't be this problem. you should declare me god and I will make it so
Ah such a simple solution...

Could not agree with you guys more.

*joins in the rant*

For God's sake, like something because you LIKE it!! Good quality is good quality -- and isn't the world better for it, if more people like good art? Don't you want people to enjoy things that are high quality?

People who think like that really need to get off their high horse, and/or stop overcompensating so damn much.

(This is why I get mad whenever people call me a hipster -- which happens fairly frequently.)
:solidarity:

W

WALMART

I don't like using the popular tool to achieve a means.

Video games come to mind. I will use the least played class, for a multitude of reasons.

There are other places this type of thought crops itself up in my mind. Nothing I can think of at the moment.

Sunny Ghost

OMG, yes! I hate this, too!! This one girl I knew, I think she was an ISFP 6w7, refused to like Harry Potter for that reason, and said it was predictable. Screw her! Of course when the last movies were coming out and all our friends were hyping up about it, she caved and gave in to the fever of it all.

Another time, I had just finished watching Australia (the movie with Nicole Kidman) and was telling her about some part of it. Her response was, "Oh... sounds like a movie my mom would probably like." F*ck you, too!

Pretty much any movie that is popular: even Inception, she hates on. Just to be that guy.

Not liking something just because it is popular is just as bad as liking something only because it is popular.

gromit

likes this
Why allow "trends" to ruin something that you enjoy? Seems petty.

Exactly. It's just the flip side of people who feel they must stop enjoying something they like because it's no longer cool...

:sadbanana:

edit: yeah like what IAJ said above

Not liking something just because it is popular is just as bad as liking something only because it is popular.

gromit

likes this
I don't like using the popular tool to achieve a means.

Video games come to mind. I will use the least played class, for a multitude of reasons.

There are other places this type of thought crops itself up in my mind. Nothing I can think of at the moment.

For the challenge? Or am I not understanding you properly? I don't think I've played enough video games to understand what a class is.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly. It's just the flip side of people who feel they must stop enjoying something they like because it's no longer cool...

:sadbanana:

edit: yeah like what IAJ said above

Yeah, fuck allowing other people's opinions to wield that much control over my happiness in life... on any scale.. just ain't worth it.

gromit

likes this
So... I was reflecting more on it and probably it bugs me because they are sort of ruining the fun for all the rest of us. Moral of the story: don't let their bad attitude spoil the enjoyment of something I like...

:laugh:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So... I was reflecting more on it and probably it bugs me because they are sort of ruining the fun for all the rest of us. Moral of the story: don't let their bad attitude spoil the enjoyment of something I like...

:laugh:

likes this :)

Sunny Ghost

Yeah, fuck allowing other people's opinions to wield that much control over my happiness in life... on any scale.. just ain't worth it.

I don't think that finding something annoying is the same thing. It has no effect on my happiness or how much I like something. It's just... annoying. Like mosquitoes. Buzzing. Sucking. Must slap, then move on.

S

Stansmith

I'm generally indifferent towards things I don't like (when it comes to art, any form of entertainment, or preferences in general). Obsessing over or being overly disdainful towards other people's preferences seems petty.

W

WALMART

For the challenge? Or am I not understanding you properly? I don't think I've played enough video games to understand what a class is.

Warriors, monks, wizards, rogues, stuff like that would be a class. Some of my first inquiries regarding an online game is to find out what classes or characters are most popular. I am almost guaranteed to stay away from selecting those types. Not only is it because the least played are likely the most challenging classes to play, it also means people don't encounter them as often, and might have more difficulty counting their tactics. Plus, there is the style factor :p

But it goes beyond videogames. I like weird cars people seem to have forgotten about or don't give attention to. Niche subjects people might have not explored. Strange places or events people might have not gotten to appreciate.

I know I don't like Ford Mustangs because of their dime-a-dozen status and nothing else.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Warriors, monks, wizards, rogues, stuff like that would be a class. Some of my first inquiries regarding an online game is to find out what classes or characters are most popular. I am almost guaranteed to stay away from selecting those types. Not only is it because the least played are likely the most challenging classes to play, it also means people don't encounter them as often, and might have more difficulty counting their tactics. Plus, there is the style factor :p

But it goes beyond videogames. I like weird cars people seem to have forgotten about or don't give attention to. Niche subjects people might have not explored. Strange places or events people might have not gotten to appreciate.

I know I don't like Ford Mustangs because of their dime-a-dozen status and nothing else.
Does it bother you if/when other people start to like your niche interests?

I have a similar thought process to yours re: your second paragraph -- but usually I like it when other people start to appreciate them. Unless they're individual people I don't like, but that's something else entirely.

gromit

likes this

@bold... heh. Hence the username? Superunknown? :)