• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Not Liking Something Because It's Popular

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
so the ultimate hipster would be someone who hates something that they once liked then everyone else liked it and because the world is filled with hipsters they all.started hating it and then eventually liked it again to be ironic. it's a never ending cycle

gromit

likes this
so the ultimate hipster would be someone who hates something that they once liked then everyone else liked it and because the world is filled with hipsters they all.started hating it and then eventually liked it again to be ironic. it's a never ending cycle

Hence the comeback of 80s style...

P

Phantonym

Well, I do sometimes avoid things that are too popular. An example is with cars. It's like when everybody goes out and buys an SUV, because everyone is buying SUVs. It makes me not want one. I'm not like that with movies or music though.

I am like that with movies or music. To me, it's not about not liking things because they're popular, it's more about feeling the pressure to like what is popular at the moment. I like to make up my own mind about what I like or don't like. So I try to avoid getting into the hype, and letting other people's opinions influence me either way. I don't feel superior, or put others down for listening to music, watching movies, or wanting to get things that are highly popular right now. I just like to keep my own pace about finding the importance of these things for myself.

zulidadwi

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am like that with movies or music. To me, it's not about not liking things because they're popular, it's more about feeling the pressure to like what is popular at the moment. I like to make up my own mind about what I like or don't like. So I try to avoid getting into the hype, and letting other people's opinions influence me either way. I don't feel superior, or put others down for listening to music, watching movies, or wanting to get things that are highly popular right now. I just like to keep my own pace about finding the importance of these things for myself.

Same with me.

Don't like it just because it's popular or not, but because I really like it. But sometimes, many people make a judgment that if you don't like the popular thing, you're so lame *in my country, they do that*

Mole

Permabanned
Buying Stocks and Shares because they are popular is usually a good way of going broke.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
UGH that bugs me a lot when people are kinda smug about how they don't like Hunger Games or something like that because it's popular, as though they are superior in some way. Obviously if you legitimately don't like it as music or as art or cinema, because you find it poorly produced or you don't like the aesthetic or message or whatnot... that's one thing. But just BECAUSE lots of other people like it, that's so pretentious and annoying.

I guess it's just a rant thread.
I agree with this. What annoys me though is that people sometimes assume I have this attitude because I don't like most anything that is popular, especially music. I don't dislike popular stuff just because of how many people like it, I just genuinely do not like it and find most of it really dull and boring. I couldn't care less about what everyone else likes and I don't look down on them if they like things I don't. I might do a little light-hearted teasing with someone I'm familiar with, but nothing more than that and certainly never anything serious.

Just let me enjoy my death and black metal in peace, dammit! :dry: People can be so pretentious about hating extreme music and thinking it takes no talent and that anyone who likes it is messed up/retarded/immature/etc., trying to mock it by attempting to imitate the vocals (and failing miserably by doing it the wrong way that will wreck their vocal cords/make them cough up blood and they end up sounding like a dying animal) or instrument playing ("oh it's just randomly banging the drums and masturbating your guitar hurr hurr")...so fucking annoying.