User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

For every popular action, there is an equal and opposite hipster reaction.
    "My sister puts up a front so people won't know how vulnerable she really is. Me? I put up a front so people won't know how vulnerable I'm not." - Dexter

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    IDK... a couple of counterphobic 6's I know are very against popular mainstream stuffs. My sister is one of those types. On top of that, she criticizes others and believes that most people do things as an effect of popular culture. Such as, people are purposefully being rebellious, or I became a vegetarian because it was the hot new hippy trend. It makes me think she is often influenced and counter the influence of the general public.

The girl I mentioned in my first post was similar and she was always purposefully rebellious. I found it obnoxious.

I'm certain 4's probably do something similar, since we have that whole elitism thing. But there's a big part of us that strives for authenticity, too. For me, that means giving in to my guilty pleasures even if I don't always find them to be cool.
    I think some Sexual 3w4s, as well as some 3w4-fixers, are among the most pretentious.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    I think some Sexual 3w4s, as well as some 3w4-fixers, are among the most pretentious.
    I think, somehow it bothers me less when a 4 does this. I was just reminded of a ENFP I knew in college who was likely a 4w5. He was incredibly pretentious and elite. I think the difference is often in that the 6's I knew were more keen to point out how they were going against the mainstream, whereas a 4 is more likely to point out it's bad taste.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    yupp

I'm gonna hate everyone who's popular on here cuz I want to be a hipster

I disliked popular things before it was popular to dislike popular things.

YOLO!

(instantly write them off as immature and vapid /judgement)

Quote Originally Posted by LevelZeroHero View Post
    For every popular action, there is an equal and opposite hipster reaction.
    ha!

Regarding the OP, I hate that attitude. People who think like that tend to believe that you are what you like, and you can't be special if everyone likes the same things you do. It gives them a belief that they have a level of discernment and taste that eludes the average person.

Some have said that they feel sad when something they like blows up and becomes popular. I LOVE when this happens. When I like something, I want good things for it and I want it to be successful. I also want more people to be able to enjoy it.

I think both of these attitudes also have an origin in the belief that something popular is compromised and something unpopular is pure. I cannot emphasize how much utter bullshit is contained in that thought process.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

I hate The Walking Dead with a passion. EVERYONE I know loves it. I watched the first few episodes & then it just got too stupid for me. Now, people accuse me of hating it just because it's popular but that just isn't the case. It just reminds me of the zombie-survivor version of 90210.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

I can understand the angle if the fans are annoying. I've made it a rule to like what I like since I was 15.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Some have said that they feel sad when something they like blows up and becomes popular. I LOVE when this happens. When I like something, I want good things for it and I want it to be successful. I also want more people to be able to enjoy it.

I think both of these attitudes also have an origin in the belief that something popular is compromised and something unpopular is pure. I cannot emphasize how much utter bullshit is contained in that thought process.
    Bingo.

Over the course of my life, I have seen where many things were headed, and I made my move accordingly. When they became popular, it would have made little sense to be pissed off about it. (Especially since I benefitted financially.)