First 45678 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    IDK... a couple of counterphobic 6's I know are very against popular mainstream stuffs. My sister is one of those types. On top of that, she criticizes others and believes that most people do things as an effect of popular culture. Such as, people are purposefully being rebellious, or I became a vegetarian because it was the hot new hippy trend. It makes me think she is often influenced and counter the influence of the general public.
    I do this, too. Usually, it happens when I see a bunch of people doing something, and it doesn't make sense to me, and I have the impression that it is "expected" of me. I don't even know why I think that it is "expected" of me. When asked to clarify why I think that, I often can't explain. It bubbles up from my unconscious, or something.

I'm less like this about entertainment, although I used to be.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

garbage

I enjoy the feeling of being idosyncratic, but not enough to care about this.

As long as it doesn't become bastardized (catering to the lowest common denominator, etc.) I'm fine with it. In fact, if something becomes popular, the artist might have incentive to prolong his career and to produce more works. Good for me.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I do this, too. Usually, it happens when I see a bunch of people doing something, and it doesn't make sense to me, and I have the impression that it is "expected" of me. I don't even know why I think that it is "expected" of me. When asked to clarify why I think that, I often can't explain. It bubbles up from my unconscious, or something.

I'm less like this about entertainment, although I used to be.
    This actually reflects what I would say. More often though I just think really popular things are kind of dumb, like it didn't take any intellect or creativity to produce them, and if they don't entertain me I disdain them. Entertainment is fine. I'm also a bit suspicious of media and popular culture because I think the elusive and vague entity called the power structure uses these things to control the population, telling us how we should think and feel, so we will buy things and trust them and not look at what's really going on in the world.

It kind of annoys me when people do this in some ways, like you can't like things which are popular or else it makes you less intelligent or sophisticated; I think it's important to have a broad taste in things, but that can include some things which are popular. It can also get annoying though if you think something is genuinely not that good, and it seems like EVERYONE thinks it's the BEST THING EVER. It makes you wonder why they don't see what you see.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i'm not sure i've ever witnessed such stupidity. i mean that i've never heard anyone actually say that.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Tbh, it's really fucking annoying when you've liked something for a long time, tried to get your friends into it , and they refused to, or didn't like it, until it became mainstream popular.
    /takes of shades and softly whispers into the sunset, "Ariana Grande..."

Although that's the only thing I get upset about when things get popular. You're like dude I've talked to you about this for ages and you've only now just started to because it blew up for everyone else? LAME.

But I like things regardless of whether it's popular or not. I just know even if other people like it it doesn't mean that what it means to me will change.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Rejection for or against pop culture, are examples of herd mentality. Baaaahhhh!

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Rejection for or against pop culture, are examples of herd mentality. Baaaahhhh!
    There's a difference between being a non-conformist, and being a non-conformist because it's fashionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    There's a difference between being a non-conformist, and being a non-conformist because it's fashionable.
    Why non-conform? Why not critically accept or reject?

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Why non-conform? Why not critically accept or reject?
    I don't disagree with you.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

A popular person I hate is king James; he has Wade and Allen to thank for holding the sides of his platform in the air.