First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    But that means seeming okay with being compared with obnoxious people! How do you do it?
    As much as I hate receiving this answer when I ask such questions: by just not caring. If we mean something to one another, they'll find out what I'm really like. If not, either the joke reaches them or not. Not all of 'em will all the time, and that's not personal; that's statistics.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I understand feeling annoyed/sad when something you've always loved that's been your "special" thing suddenly becomes everyone's thing... or wanting to differentiate yourself when it seems like everyone has the same thing... or just not feeling as much interest in something that has been talked about extensively. The example of The Hunger Games has been brought up - I feel like I sort of am acquainted with the storyline through association, and I have to admit that I haven't had much compulsion to check it out. I'd like to get into it later once the hype has quieted down some. Without all the "noise" around it.

I guess I feel like those sorts of feelings have to be balanced with judging things personally on their individual merit. I did read and love Harry Potter and enjoyed keeping up with it with my friends, though only til the 5th book, which was not as appealing to me, nor the remainder of the series. Hardcore fans shake their heads at me for this, of course! I have a mix of popular and relatively unknown preferences and that is fine by me. There is something more "intimate" about the relatively unknown ones, while it can be pleasant to revel in the more popular interests with others.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I tend to associate this with type 6. Am I off?
    Hm. Maybe for some, but not all. It has never been something I have particularly struggled with. I thought it was a 4 and 3w4 thing, too.

Maybe things being very popular may make it harder for a 6 to process them, because we are generally very open to external input. Like I was mentioning before, to me it can feel like a lot of "noise" surrounding something. I prefer to approach things on my own when it is "quiet". Like I said with The Hunger Games. I don't have an opinion on it, and I'll probably get around to reading the series. Just not now while it's all abuzz. Or like with the 50 Shades books - I read the trilogy a while after the big popularity explosion, a friend gave me her copies. It's just more pleasing to me to process it in private. Feels more "real". Like there's space for just me and the books to make contact, instead of the whole world weighing in.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

That kind of attitude annoys me too -- I understand it, though. I went through something like that in my awkward pre-teen years when I refused to like anything pink, cute and girly, because I was trying to be an 'adult'.

It also annoys me when people like something just because it's unpopular, or worse, because it is 'wrong'. Take a very mild example: if a celeb says something sexist/racist and everyone is speaking out against them, it annoys the heck out of me when people decide to side with the sexist/racist comment not because they agree but simply because they want to be contrary to what the public thinks. It's just so juvenile and it irks my Fe.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Sigh. I admit, it's the worst feeling ever when something I like or hold dear becomes popular/mainstream.

I can't help it.
    But, do you start to dislike them because of it?
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

IDK... a couple of counterphobic 6's I know are very against popular mainstream stuffs. My sister is one of those types. On top of that, she criticizes others and believes that most people do things as an effect of popular culture. Such as, people are purposefully being rebellious, or I became a vegetarian because it was the hot new hippy trend. It makes me think she is often influenced and counter the influence of the general public.

The girl I mentioned in my first post was similar and she was always purposefully rebellious. I found it obnoxious.

I'm certain 4's probably do something similar, since we have that whole elitism thing. But there's a big part of us that strives for authenticity, too. For me, that means giving in to my guilty pleasures even if I don't always find them to be cool.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

figsfiggyfigs

Sigh. I admit, it's the worst feeling ever when something I like or hold dear becomes popular/mainstream.

I can't help it.

Well now you can't tell people you genuinely like it without them thinking you're just jumping on the bandwagon! P:

Tbh, it's really fucking annoying when you've liked something for a long time, tried to get your friends into it , and they refused to, or didn't like it, until it became mainstream popular.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Tbh, it's really fucking annoying when you've liked something for a long time, tried to get your friends into it , and they refused to, or didn't like it, until it became mainstream popular.
    Ugh, I've had that happen several times. In general, these people would eventually prove themselves to not be very good friends. Has that been your experience?

I can't help it.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    But, do you start to dislike them because of it?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Ugh, I've had that happen several times. In general, these people would eventually prove themselves to not be very good friends. Has that been your experience?
    Nah, they're just shitty decision makers when it comes to their own enjoyment People are stubborn about weird things.