User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 89

  1. #31
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    I actually WILL do stuff I like regardless of who else doesn't like it or does like it.

    However, it really pisses me off when something I like becomes a fad. I'm afraid it will get dumbed down by people into something it's not, or liked because it's a fad rather than on its own merits... you know, people wouldn't have liked it at all, except it was the in-thing to do.

    I'm concerned about the Maleficent movie coming out, for example; I think she's a great character, and at least AJ looks pretty good playing her so far, but I'm afraid that the character will be mishandled... kind of like in Oz the Great and Powerful, where the Witch was just kind of butchered (although the Wizard and Glinda were treated decently).

    I didn't like it when Inception became so faddish. As long as people liked it because they understood it and grasped the depth of it, that's cool; but if they're just hopping on the bandwagon on the next property to be exploited by American consumer culture and NYC advertising, well, fuck that.

    I've also watched other things I've loved become raped by western consumerism, like Watchmen and V for Vendetta. It's not a pleasant feeling. You can say it's less me being a snob and more me defending the honorable of something I viewed as special and deserving of real effort to portray and understand it, instead being given a lobotomy so it could be mass-marketed as the next cash cow property.

    There's also something to be said for working hard to find something special, earning the right to savor it... and then someone just peddles it to a crowd who won't give a shit about it in a month but right now it's "popular" and they'll just use it, consume it, and then dump it for the next thing. It's kind of a gross process to observe. It used to be a big deal to scale Mount Everest, but not anymore... and now the entire mountainside is also covered by piles of shit and trash that the consumers have left there because they never had a reverence for the mountain anyway. It was just one more experience to purchase on the backs of the people who earned the right to climb it, and then they move on to the next thing to be consumed.

    I don't think those kinds of feelings I experience are elitist. It's more that people aren't really valuing something I consider precious and deserving of effort to grasp. But unfortunately that is how consumer cultures operate; they just eat anything that looks like it might taste good and shit it back out as they're looking for something else to eat.

    @Saudade: Yeah, I understand what you mean by "being copied." You like it because you like it; they're just copying you because it's cool. It DOES feel like having your identity made irrelevant or trivialized in some ways. (As a minor example, Inception really resonated with me in some deep-seated ways, but I feel like I can't claim it as part of my identity because it's become so watered down as to be worthless as a descriptor even if it should actually be powerful.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #32
    Stansmith
    Guest

    Default

    @Inari Love

    I think it's misanthropy in some cases. Other times it's just over-saturation, which leads to boredom.

  3. #33
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    You know something might be good if people are criticizing it very harshly. A lot of people I met IRL blasted the science in the movie Gravity if I mentioned it. Never would they do that for any other movie, and almost all other movies basically ignore scientific realism completely, even supposed scifi movies.

  4. #34
    Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    I feel like my identity is being copied. Not a good feeling.
    Oh YES! good stuff. I get this with music...the most. Movies...I don't care about...or actually any other forms of entertainment.

    It's just music.

    I think it's cause I identify with the music so much. I feel some form of betrayal or something when others love my favorite songs, that I found on my own, as much as I do. This is before the song gets popular.

    If the song is popular before hand and someone says I'll like it...I don't get bent out of shape, I willingly look into it.

  5. #35
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    @Saudade: Yeah, I understand what you mean by "being copied." You like it because you like it; they're just copying you because it's cool. It DOES feel like having your identity made irrelevant or trivialized in some ways.
    I have always really bothered people by being so outspoken about it, I take that sort of thing very seriously. Lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    Oh YES! good stuff. I get this with music...the most. Movies...I don't care about...or actually any other forms of entertainment.

    It's just music.

    I think it's cause I identify with the music so much. I feel some form of betrayal or something when others love my favorite songs, that I found on my own, as much as I do. This is before the song gets popular.

    If the song is popular before hand and someone says I'll like it...I don't get bent out of shape, I willingly look into it.
    Music, mhmmm. So much ditto. :)

    And when people become interested in the same subjects as me, I take that stuff to heart.

  6. #36
    Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    I have always really bothered people by being so outspoken about it, I take that sort of thing very seriously. Lol.



    Music, mhmmm. So much ditto.

    And when people become interested in the same subjects as me, I take that stuff to heart.
    Yep. Exactly. It could also be cause I think that I have a relationship or something with that subject. Like I really took the time out to get to know all of the important qualities of it. etc...

    Oh it just came to me...I know what it is now.

    I invested time and energy and emotion into it, to the point that I now identify with it.

    People get bothered by my voicing that stuff too. ha ha. oh wells for them.

  7. #37
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Oh, I also want to say that if I really like someone, and I let them enter my bubble, I actually enjoy sharing things that I identify with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    Yep. Exactly. It could also be cause I think that I have a relationship or something with that subject. Like I really took the time out to get to know all of the important qualities of it. etc...

    Oh it just came to me...I know what it is now.

    I invested time and energy and emotion into it, to the point that I now identify with it.
    Mhmm. I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    People get bothered by my voicing that stuff too. ha ha. oh wells for them.
    Toooooootally.

  8. #38
    Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Oh, I also want to say that if I really like someone, and I let them enter my bubble, I actually enjoy sharing things that I identify with.
    Oh yea, that's different. That means I trust the person in "my bubble." I like sharing like that too.

  9. #39
    Paranoid Android Video's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,177

    Default

    I've stated OP's opinion before.

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    (This is why I get mad whenever people call me a hipster -- which happens fairly frequently.)
    Oh, no; that's what you're supposed to do! I just nod and go "Sure. Like it or not, given where I grew up, I've probably osmotized some of their style." Heads explode.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

    RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

    Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

  10. #40
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Oh, no; that's what you're supposed to do! I just nod and go "Sure. Like it or not, given where I grew up, I've probably osmotized some of their style." Heads explode.
    But that means seeming okay with being compared with obnoxious people! How do you do it?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] NF, How Are You NOT Like Your Type Description?
    By SquirrelTao in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 08-27-2017, 05:28 PM
  2. There's gonna be a revolution, and it's not gonna be because of me
    By prplchknz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-17-2013, 10:24 PM
  3. [MBTItm] im not sure what is it about people who want power, like control that just makes me
    By jcloudz in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 10:23 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Doesn't this sound like something only a NF would say?
    By Sniffles in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO